Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
I routinely use the "New posts" link to, well, check for new posts since I last browsed the forum, however it seems it lists the post since my last visit (more or less, there's some fudge factor applied) instead of the posts since I last hit the link, so I sometimes miss some posts (I know because if I scroll back in a topic I see messages I didn't see before).
Would it be possible to do the latter or, even better, don't reset the starting time for the "New posts" link until the "mark all messages as read" is used?
Edit: maybe it's actually done that way and that's where the problem arises? I mean, I hit "New posts", take half an hour before I mark the forum read and then I miss the messages in that half hour?

Last edited by luca; 2008-08-12 at 11:32.

Posts: 566 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Tallahassee, FL
Originally Posted by luca
I mean, I hit "New posts", take half an hour before I mark the forum read and then I miss the messages in that half hour?
That could be what's happening. I typically hit "New", browse through the new messages, then hit "New" again to see what was posted while I was reading, then "mark all messages read"...

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
Yeah don't hit mark read unless you hit New again. There is also this page that shows live posting http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/vaispy.php

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Originally Posted by briand View Post
That could be what's happening. I typically hit "New", browse through the new messages, then hit "New" again to see what was posted while I was reading, then "mark all messages read"...
That's exactly what I do too. It works well.

Posts: 566 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Tallahassee, FL
I was going to say that you took the words right outta my mouth...

actually, it looks like you took the words right out of several people's mouths, threw them into a blender, then logged on here and poured the blender contents into this topic.

umm... thanks?

:shrug:

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by luca View Post
I routinely use the "New posts" link to, well, check for new posts since I last browsed the forum, however it seems it lists the post since my last visit (more or less, there's some fudge factor applied) instead of the posts since I last hit the link, so I sometimes miss some posts...
Depends on the forum "traffic", it took time to refresh (update). I routinely hit 'F5' (refresh) everytime before reading any forum.

bun

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
verdict: forums suck, mailing lists rule

The Following User Says Thank You to luca For This Useful Post: