Active Topics

Posts: 245 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Bad Homburg, Deutschland
Originally Posted by thecursedfly View Post
would it be possible for a european to buy one in USA and use it in Europe?
Worked for me with my N810!
Just joking of course. It should work since it's a quad bend mobile phone. At least on the GSM networks. Not too sure about the UMTS though, but I guess it should as well.

Originally Posted by nowave7 View Post
Worked for me with my N810!
Just joking of course. It should work since it's a quad bend mobile phone. At least on the GSM networks. Not too sure about the UMTS though, but I guess it should as well.
from a technical standpoint, yes it will work fine. From a warranty standpoint...not so much

Originally Posted by texaslabrat View Post
from a technical standpoint, yes it will work fine. From a warranty standpoint...not so much
Well, you could always send it back to the States if you need some sort of repairs, but if you take good care of it, as I do with my N810, you'll be just fine.

Originally Posted by thecursedfly View Post
possible to get it shipped to here without additional taxes?
Officially when importing item from outside of EU you should be billed with VAT + customs. It is usually done that way that on border packages are inspected by officers in magazines of importer.
If you order item directly from on-line shop, they are obliged to package items in such way that officers will knew what is inside and you will be billed almost automatically.
You can get around it: ask family, acquitances to buy it and send you in normally wrapped package (or just bring it with them if they are visiting your area).
Such packages are inspected at random and you have chance that you will not pay additionally. Note however that you should earmark those money because chance for inspection is always.
With smaller difference in price with N900 than with N8x0 + lost guarantee + not so weak USD I don't think game is worth it this time.

Originally Posted by nowave7 View Post
Well, you could always send it back to the States if you need some sort of repairs, but if you take good care of it, as I do with my N810, you'll be just fine.
taking good care of is irrelevant to the likely warranty claims. See the 5800 speaker debacle as an example. And I have no experience qith cross market warranty claims but it is possible that there is a clause limiting claims to u.s. residents.

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by vvaz View Post
If you order item directly from on-line shop, they are obliged to package items in such way that officers will knew what is inside and you will be billed almost automatically.
For the n800, I couldn't find any us shop willing to send it overseas. The few that did charged so much for shipping that it wasn't convenient, so the only way to get one was ebay.
If the seller sends via usps it's more likely than the package will slip through customs, if they use a courier it's assured you'll to pay customs fees and VAT, because otherwise they (upd/dhl) wouldn't get to bill you their extortionate fees.

Originally Posted by texaslabrat View Post
taking good care of is irrelevant to the likely warranty claims. See the 5800 speaker debacle as an example. And I have no experience qith cross market warranty claims but it is possible that there is a clause limiting claims to u.s. residents.
That is true. I don't know if there is an option of obtaining a world wide warranty, or maybe Nokia is providing it by default?

hmm, I have a friend in USA, maybe I can get her to help me in case... ^^
so it would be ~420 € instead of the ~570 € from UK... but no warranty (unless I get help again from that friend and pay shipping costs.. :P), and possibility for extra taxes...

but as hardware/functionality, everything should be fine. okay, thanks.