Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
If we want a Summit around next September we better start planning for it around... now.

If you look at the 2 previous Maemo Summits and you look at MeeGo now, the natural conclusion is that the logical evolution is to have a MeeGo Summit. Nokia can then sponsor co-located/parallel Maemo 5 activities. This would more or less match the content of a third Maemo Summit, where anyway Harmattan would be driving the agenda.

I haven't been in a Moblin Summit before. I haven't done much research but the last one was co-hosted under the Linux Collaboration Summit. This seems to be consistent with the rest of elements of the Moblin community until now, much more focused on open source platform development and a higher corporate element.

To me the sum of a Maemo Summit and a Moblin Summit have the ingredients of wide success, but I thought about asking here before proposing anything more specific at meego.com.

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I'll get started on badges...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Fine, but will it still be held in Europe ?... :-)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
I suggest MeeGo 2 Hawaii
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
This seems to be consistent with the rest of elements of the Moblin community until now, much more focused on open source platform development and a higher corporate element.
Also much more developer/corporate oriented, I don't dislike the idea, but just incorporating Maemo inside a event like this will make us lose a lot of Maemo summit fun .

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VDVsx For This Useful Post:
Does someone knows how mamy people was in the last Moblin Commit?

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
i'd love to get involved
Limited coding experience, but the best way to learn is to learn from the people who know
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
If you look at the 2 previous Maemo Summits and you look at MeeGo now, the natural conclusion is that the logical evolution is to have a MeeGo Summit.
Absolutely!

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
I suggest MeeGo 2 Hawaii
Apologies for rehashing an old thread, but a country that's more welcoming to to international hackers arriving from all corners of the world might be preferable.

If the dates are a bit flexible (hey, it did slip to October last year) and looking at the LWN calendar, relevant events to plan around might be Linux-Kongress, the Open World Forum or OSiM World.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by VDVsx View Post
Also much more developer/corporate oriented, I don't dislike the idea, but just incorporating Maemo inside a event like this will make us lose a lot of Maemo summit fun .
That is one track, and the Maemo Summit had three and a little more. Anybody knows the attendance? Let's imagine that it was a third of the Maemo Summit.

The Maemo Community have reasons to fear the change if we merge with the Moblin Summit. Looking the move from their side of the fence things might look even more "scary", though.

Or there is another way to see it: that type of content and speakers doesn't overlap much with the type of content ans speakers we have got in the Maemo Summit. Which means that there is a possibility of keeping having a summit 3 days 3 tracks with much more attendance and more selective talk slots.

By selective I don't mean more business or something, just that there will be more sessions submitted and therefore a need to have a tougher filter. Remembering the previous Maemo summits I think it's anyway a nice evolution.

Which continent? That is a good question. Who knows where is the MeeGo community?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
hmmm good point, do europe and US/Oz/etc struggle.... Saying that i could probably just about afford europe at an absolute push... Brighton UK would be good, hehehe
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -