Posts: 124 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Edmonton Canada
This week I am in the US visiting from Canada and for some reason my N9 just will not get a GPS lock anywhere... At home in Canada the GPS works quite well and gets a lock very quickly.

I am currently roaming with data turned ON (I have a roaming package). I'm able to access the Internet no problems via 3G, but, nothing with the GPS.

Any thoughts on what it could be? I did add the Google supl server thinking maybe that was part of the issue, but, with the same results.

Any help is appreciated!

Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by slashd0t View Post
This week I am in the US visiting from Canada and for some reason my N9 just will not get a GPS lock anywhere... At home in Canada the GPS works quite well and gets a lock very quickly.

I am currently roaming with data turned ON (I have a roaming package). I'm able to access the Internet no problems via 3G, but, nothing with the GPS.

Any thoughts on what it could be? I did add the Google supl server thinking maybe that was part of the issue, but, with the same results.

Any help is appreciated!
use the N9Tweak app (option G) to change your GPS provider while in america

Last edited by mariusmssj; 2012-01-25 at 22:01.

Originally Posted by mariusmssj View Post
use the N9Tweak app (option G) to change your GPS provider while in america
Yeah this just changes the supl server which I changed manually. Still nothing

I assume you have the option "Device Positioning, Allow device to locate itself using GPS, WLAN and mobile network" in "Settings - Device - GPS and Positioning" enabled?
Did you check
"PrimarySuplAllowRoaming=true"
When you edited the file to change supl-server?

Originally Posted by crisscross View Post
I assume you have the option "Device Positioning, Allow device to locate itself using GPS, WLAN and mobile network" in "Settings - Device - GPS and Positioning" enabled?
Did you check
"PrimarySuplAllowRoaming=true"
When you edited the file to change supl-server?
Yes to both.

Oddly enough though, gps JUST started working .. Strange.

Apparently I spoke too soon.. Now it's not working again How frustrating..

I have some irregularities sometimes in connection to my gps also, normally fixed by restarting the map/drive app but your problem seems much worse. Have you tried any other gps-dependent apps like 4squick etc.?

Originally Posted by crisscross View Post
I have some irregularities sometimes in connection to my gps also, normally fixed by restarting the map/drive app but your problem seems much worse. Have you tried any other gps-dependent apps like 4squick etc.?
Yeah regardless of which app I use I get nothing.. I'm back in Canada now and of course the GPS is working perfectly again, so, it definitely has to do with roaming.

I have to go back to the US in a week, so, looks like it'll be my iPhone again that week

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
The US military unhappy with the planned cuts are preparing to invade the US mainland and so have switched off the civilian gps signals.

Could it be that your roaming network actually locks down anything but http? Perhaps to avoid you from using VoIP apps or so, and they also happen to deny supl requests?

How long do you try to get a gps fix (stable location, clear view of about half the sky? You should try for at least 5 minutes.
You could try without a-gps, so without data.