Posts: 151 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Sep 2006 @ Mexico City, Mexico
Does anyone knows how many different hardware versions are out there of the N900 ?

I am talking HARDWARE, not operating system or firmware versions which, of course, there are several.

Are there documented differences (or fixes or improvements) of each version ?

Which one is the latest ? Are those versions zone/region related ?

Don't know if this is valid...but here it goes: Which one is the recommended/desired to (hopefully) get when buying a new N900 ?

This question, of course, goes hand in hand with my new N900 checkup list question.

Thanks.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to febb For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
well, apart from the keyboards, probably not more then 1
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

Originally Posted by noobmonkey View Post
well, apart from the keyboards, probably not more then 1
Interesting opinion: why? Because there are documented issues with the USB port (fragility) and, there are also comments that "this has been fixed by Nokia" on some new units...so, if this is true, that could be a "new" hardware revision (version)....

mine is one of the originals 1801 unfortunately i cant update the sofware

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
Originally Posted by febb View Post
Interesting opinion: why? Because there are documented issues with the USB port (fragility) and, there are also comments that "this has been fixed by Nokia" on some new units...so, if this is true, that could be a "new" hardware revision (version)....
Production models, sold ever since they started shipping (of course there are different batches, but they have the same HW revision afaik)
Preproduction models given out to testers and during the Maemo Summit.

jae-v:

Do you know what 1801 is ? The hardware version maybe ?

So, it seems we have after all, at least two different hardware revisions for the N900.....

Originally Posted by febb View Post
So, it seems we have after all, at least two different hardware revisions for the N900.....
I am guessing that the combination of being version 1801 and unable to update indicates the mentioned pre-production units, which you won't encounter on a day to day basis.

Retail units have had no significant hardware revisions (corrections to secure the USB port are relatively minor.)

the hardware board i think is RX-51 - (i keep saying this, sorry! ) - the healthcheck app i'm working on displays that - but you can also get it out of terminal someway....

What it doesn't do is say any hardware revisions if there are any.
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

Implemented Hardware revision number into the new Healthcheck applications so it shows the RX51 number and the sub revision

In extras devel now - will push to testing by tomorrow, if there are no issues between now and then.

V0.5.2-5 - has it in....

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to noobmonkey For This Useful Post:
NOOBMONKEY:

Thanks !... that feature looks great. Now, we need people to report their hardware versions and sub-versions for their N900's ...

And, it occurs to me to add: when did you get our N900? and
where/how did you buy it (online or brick and mortar, country)?

That we we may be able to track some patterns on the N900's...maybe.

who's first ?

The Following User Says Thank You to febb For This Useful Post:

Tags
hardware, nokia n900