Active Topics

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
This might be something that's known generally but I just came by this today.

How it happened; My son asked me if I have been surfing with his Nexus 7 lately, as it was suggesting words on google search window that I did actually search for earlier this morning.

However, I had been using my laptop to do that, not the tablet !!

Speculation; as both devices are in the same WLAN, which is NATted to outside world, google is storing my IP address and as a shortcut showing the previous queries to any host accessing google afterwards using he same apparent IP address

Now this is really bad behaviour, as there is no guarantee that a particular IP address belongs to any given device after some time has passed, it might well be given to somebody on completely different town, even different country.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Huh, even with different Google Accounts?

I've been noticing the same on my home network (modem hasn't lost power in a year, so my home IP is pretty much static)

Probably a way to try to target the interests of individuals [in a certain area where x is trending, for example].

On my end, I've noticed that sites I frequently visit rank higher even for my neighbors' (same ISP).

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Yes, completely different google accounts (in fact I was not even logged in google on the laptop), different OS (Ubuntu vs. JellyBean) and different browsers to boot

It's good I don't have a habit of googling for stuff unsuitable for children but still... Think about the cases where that happens

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 770 | Thanked: 558 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Abidjan
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post

It's good I don't have a habit of googling for stuff unsuitable for children but still... Think about the cases where that happens
Hahaha, mate what do you mean by this????

Don't answer, i'm just kidding you!!!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Boemien For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Why are u suprised??? Did you really think google is your friend?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Why are u suprised??? Did you really think google is your friend?
Of course not, dont't be silly. They are there to make money from me. Usually there is a tradeoff, they get stuff from me and I get something in return.

What I thought is that they would be more careful, as this is nothing to do with friendliness.

Being such global hoarder of data they should consider carefully what to leak outside, as that will damage their reputation.

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
Huh, even with different Google Accounts
Yes, completely different google accounts (in fact I was not even logged in google on the laptop),
Huh, who even considers googling when logged in? Never ever ...

Time for DuckDuckGo ?

This might be something that's known generally but I just came by this today.

How it happened; My son asked me if I have been surfing with his Nexus 7 lately, as it was suggesting words on google search window that I did actually search for earlier this morning.

However, I had been using my laptop to do that, not the tablet !!

Speculation; as both devices are in the same WLAN, which is NATted to outside world, google is storing my IP address and as a shortcut showing the previous queries to any host accessing google afterwards using he same apparent IP address

Now this is really bad behaviour, as there is no guarantee that a particular IP address belongs to any given device after some time has passed, it might well be given to somebody on completely different town, even different country.
I did not know that. And I can hardly believe, as I am sure almost all private people have an ISP where IP changes all 24 hours (or any period, but not static). And this would not make sense, or? As the same IP may be given to anybody else. Of course they are doing log-in logging and cookie stuff. But IP related ???
Nevertheless this would be only explanation ...

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Of course not, dont't be silly. They are there to make money from me. Usually there is a tradeoff, they get stuff from me and I get something in return.

What I thought is that they would be more careful, as this is nothing to do with friendliness.

Being such global hoarder of data they should consider carefully what to leak outside, as that will damage their reputation.
Why care ****ing NSA is seeing everything anyway...

Try https://startpage.com/
Duckduck doesn't give the same search results as google and to be ohnest they are not so good for me. Startpage gives the same results as google but without privacy problems.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fw190 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
you didnt knew that??? Even they provide user centric reasults all the time which is disgusting i mean google keeps some sort of record of users searches and provide you with stuff that you want to see and spoof out the ones that are very much relevant because goo thinks that you are less prone to click on them not click on them) i didnt knew that but when i used bing i was annoyed that it gave much diffrent results but relavent and useful to the topic. so i use bing when i think its spoffing too much and very much i get the results i was looking for