Notices

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Keeping track of how much time you have left to talk in a presentation or a meeting presents special difficulties. As evidence that no good solution exists for the problem, I point to the universal practice of appointing a single individual to keep track of the time who is delegated to convey the impending end of the allotted time to the speaker. Any time a simple task is done by a human, you know it's not all that simple. But we all know that watch displays are too small, the laptop is occupied presenting slides, a one-minute alert is fine but the speaker has no way to know how close am I to the one-minute mark?

I ran across a big countdown timer at online-stopwatch.com, written in Flash. Running on a Nokia Internet Tablet, the numbers are large enough to read from ten feet away or further. It's a perfect use of the NIT's 4.3-inch screen.

Different versions of the program display a stop-watch (counting up), splits, or a circle clockface with a single hand sweeping once around the face whatever time you have entered.

You can run this useful app from the website if you want. Me, I simply downloaded the .swf file, put it into a /tools folder, opened it in tablet's browser and bookmarked that local copy. Easy to grab. And of course the graphics resize nicely as I switch between standard and full-screen display. Hey, thanks, online-stopwatch person!
Read the full article.

Last edited by RogerS; 2009-02-09 at 01:34.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RogerS For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Quite cool, I guess. Has anyone seen anything like this, only as an app for Maemo rather than Flash? I just fancy something with, you know, a proper menu and setting dialogue etc.

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Hamburg, Germany
I once had such a timer but more beautifuly designed as Mojo for www.mojocafe.net - but as the Mojocafe is not "interactive" anymore, i removed it, like so many other things.

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ It's dark in here. I hear laughing.
Maemochron is an "old" app -- written for the 770 -- but it works great in Diablo on a N810. Same concept: clock functions in big numbers. Stopwatch, regular time, timer.

See it in garage: https://garage.maemo.org/projects/maemochron/

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Wow, it's been awhile but... You never know what you can find in the ITT archives.

>> http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=18907

I agree RogerS, having these small swf files stored on your tablet is the way to go.

I have attached some more you might find useful. Some have been posted before, some I've ripped shamelessly from websites, and others are my own works in progress. Credit is given some of the time.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Flash.zip (250.3 KB, 508 views)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by frethop View Post
Maemochron is an "old" app -- written for the 770 -- but it works great in Diablo on a N810. Same concept: clock functions in big numbers. Stopwatch, regular time, timer.

See it in garage: https://garage.maemo.org/projects/maemochron/
I tried to install this but got an error that the following apps were missing:
python2.4
python2.4-hildon
python2.4-gtk2

I see a lot of python2.5's that I can get on installer but didn't go further in case it was a waste of time and space. Anyone know if what IS avaialble will suffice and if so which python versions do I need? Thanks.

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Wow, it's been awhile but... You never know what you can find in the ITT archives.

>> http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=18907
No kidding. (What's the emoticon for 'You got me, pardner'?)

I like Hildonized programs, but Flash apps can travel across the Windows-Linux divide in a way most tablet users don't appreciate, I think.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by RogerS View Post
No kidding. (What's the emoticon for 'You got me, pardner'?) ...
The emoticon was pro'ly thrown in to show no malice... sort of "Please don't shoot me. I'm just the piano player." < like this one

Originally Posted by RogerS View Post
...I like Hildonized programs, but Flash apps can travel across the Windows-Linux divide in a way most tablet users don't appreciate, I think.
That and HTML stored locally...

Using any of the many Windows-Linux web page creators/editors or even a simple text editor, we can create locally stored web pages formatted for the tablets screen. With just a little more advanced HTML editing (image maps), you can create a whole touch screen GUI out of locally stored content.

Originally Posted by dfinch View Post
I tried to install this but got an error that the following apps were missing:
python2.4
python2.4-hildon
python2.4-gtk2

I see a lot of python2.5's that I can get on installer but didn't go further in case it was a waste of time and space. Anyone know if what IS avaialble will suffice and if so which python versions do I need? Thanks.
This should work:

As root,
Code:
apt-get install python2.5 python2.5-hildon python2.5-gtk2
Then download the Maemochron .deb file and cd to the directory you downloaded it, then:

Code:
dpkg -i --force-depends <name of file>
Then, also as root, use your favorite text-editor to open /usr/bin/maemochron and change the first line to:

Code:
#!/usr/bin/python2.5
Note that while the Maemochron timer is activity running, CPU usage is pegged at 100%...also the Change Color dialog doesn't work. Python traceback says hildon.ColorSelector doesn't exist, and it is true. print dir(hildon) at the python prompt shows ColorChooser...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrentDC For This Useful Post:
Posts: 283 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ It's dark in here. I hear laughing.
Originally Posted by BrentDC View Post
Note that while the Maemochron timer is activity running, CPU usage is pegged at 100%...also the Change Color dialog doesn't work. Python traceback says hildon.ColorSelector doesn't exist, and it is true. print dir(hildon) at the python prompt shows ColorChooser...
Thanks, BrentDC. I told you the code was old!

I installed maemochron with no changes. I think the version of maemochron on garage must be old; mine is more updated (uses python 2.5, for instance).

I have attached my version below.
Attached Files
File Type: deb maemochron_0.5.1-1_all.deb (70.9 KB, 249 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to frethop For This Useful Post: