Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Given that

1. Nokia are now replacing broken N900s with N8s

and

2. The N9 is being produced in relatively small numbers,

I wonder what will happen if, in six months time, a customer returns an N9 for repair?

Customer: 'I wish to return my N9 for repair.'

Nokia: 'We aren't repairing those anymore, as we don't have the spare parts. We can send you a new phone.'

Customer: 'A new N9? Cheers.'

Nokia: 'No. We can send you a suitable replacement. One of our fantastic Sea Ray phones.'

Customer:

My website

GitHub

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
Given that

1. Nokia are now replacing broken N900s with N8s

and

2. The N9 is being produced in relatively small numbers,

I wonder what will happen if, in six months time, a customer returns an N9 for repair?

Customer: 'I wish to return my N9 for repair.'

Nokia: 'We aren't repairing those anymore, as we don't have the spare parts. We can send you a new phone.'

Customer: 'A new N9? Cheers.'

Nokia: 'Yes. With WP7.'

Customer:
Fixed for you.

Grettings.

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by s4br0s0 View Post
Fixed for you.

Grettings.
Isn't that what I said? I thought Sea Ray was a WP7 phone.

My website

GitHub

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
Isn't that what I said? I thought Sea Ray was a WP7 phone.
Ooooops.

My bad.

I thought you was talking about this Sea Ray.

Grettings.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to s4br0s0 For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
bah... I had some long, thoughtful post that I wanted to share with TMO.

but instead, I'm just sharing an equally indifferent "**** you" back to Nokia.

so sayeth this American; land of none of your marketing, home of your horrible distribution channels...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
When did Americans stop caring about competition and free markets? How come free Americans don't mind being screwed around by mobile phone carriers? I'm Italian and too many things are wrong in my Country but in the last 10 years the USA have grown similar to Italy in many ways - except in Italy carriers are bound by law to have "open" contracts. Peace to all Americans. Love your Country!

The Following User Says Thank You to lore For This Useful Post:
Posts: 58 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Richmond, VA
first we wait for the thing to be even announced after all that hiding, then wait weeks around for a confirmation date, and then find out its not launching here. Really nokia...you are not supposed to be making the same mistakes that got you here...I cant believe they are going to botch another phone launch.
... watch I bet it gets a delay or two right before September because thats the nokia way. I havent bought a non nokia phone for over 7 years now, but man a galaxy s 2 would hit that sweet spot right about now. I was going to get an N9 but all the directions are pointing elsewhere, I justified the hardware in my head even if it isnt the latest and greatest. However Im already hating how nokia is treating this product and I cant live for minimal bug fix updates.

The Following User Says Thank You to brandonc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by lore View Post
When did Americans stop caring about competition and free markets? How come free Americans don't mind being screwed around by mobile phone carriers? I'm Italian and too many things are wrong in my Country but in the last 10 years the USA have grown similar to Italy in many ways - except in Italy carriers are bound by law to have "open" contracts. Peace to all Americans. Love your Country!
Americans don't have a choice about caring. The carriers aren't giving us any options and the government (the FCC) seems to always side with business against customers, despite their job being to protect customers from abuse of the free airwaves. Go figure.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by lore View Post
Because unlocked means nothing when you have only two GSM carriers and the other two carriers are CDMA. No savings for an unlocked phone, just that the manufacturer gets more of that money.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 58 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Richmond, VA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Because unlocked means nothing when you have only two GSM carriers and the other two carriers are CDMA. No savings for an unlocked phone, just that the manufacturer gets more of that money.
well you do have some advantages of unlocked phones, you can sign up for service with your own equipment, waiving those fees, and it also protects you from paying mandatory smartphone data plans as they are unable to tell what kind of device it is.

Tags
bada rox, buysomethinelse, facepalm(tm), galactus, goodbye nokia, just stop, n9 rox