Notices

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
Agree with the fragile statement but if you have the "screen-scraping" script built into the end user application then there is no redistribution data?
You're taking a web page that someone has spent at least some time and effort creating, storing, and publishing on the net, ripping a bit of data out of the middle of it, reworking it into a different form, and displaying it to the user. So basically yeah, you are redistributing someone else's "intellectual property" in a new form, even if it is just a single redistribution...

Also the claim that it prevents you seeing the ads makes browser plugins such as pop-up blockers and adblockers illegal?
Uhm, if there wasn't a good reason to put the ads into a web page, nobody would ever do it -- everybody hates ads. If ad-blockers became truly universal, lots of websites would simply drop off the net, as they would no longer be able to generate any revenue. I've no idea about the legality of blockers, but I know that they work against the interest of the websites that use ads...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Copernicus: And do you have any other option than scraping the web page if the service provides no API?

And I'd disagree - most people don't know about adblockers, and the main reason people use them is the intrusive ads.

And OMP works that way due to no API

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
/edit2: @all: what's the best weather source for Poland, in your opinion?
Go to http://www.yr.no and search on Poland and see what you think for a few days.

Then see if the yr source in OMW works for Poland.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
Copernicus: And do you have any other option than scraping the web page if the service provides no API?
Basically, I consider web page scraping generally along the same lines as, say, recording a TV show and uploading it to the internet. Sure, the service provider was already broadcasting the data, but they didn't intend for you to use their data in that manner (foolish as that may seem).

If the service provides no API, I'd suspect that means the service doesn't want you to use their data outside of their web page. That's all I'm trying to say here...

And I'd disagree - most people don't know about adblockers, and the main reason people use them is the intrusive ads.
I'm not really disagreeing with you here. I'm just saying that if adblockers became common, ads would change. (There's no point in creating an ad that nobody will ever see.) And if ads went away, lots of websites would also go away...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 445 | Thanked: 367 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
BTW, if you're looking at source code (and will be able to determine where it gets its weather.com data...), it suffer from two odd bugs. First, between 0 and 6 AM (local time of user), the days in long-term forecast are shifted +1 from reality. So, if it is 3AM saturday, forecast for next day will be shown as "Monday".

Second, the length of day is bugged - it shows same sunset and sunrise for whole week. Then, at some unknown point, it updates (to, again, show the same, changed values, for whole week).

/Estel
Exactly! I asked vasvlad the dev of omweather for a fix in the official thread
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=33221
but he said is busy working at meecast for sailfish at the moment.
BTW he release latest omweather with debug mode to check what's wrong, but no clues. Anybody knows how to patch the code?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gianko For This Useful Post:
The problem with the shifted forecast still exist today...
Also weather.com doesn't work for my city, only yr.no works but the forecast isn't as accurate and as detailed (by hours) as weather.com

Installed the version from extras (I didn't test the ones from testing and devel).

Is there a fix to this, or should we live with it like this (sad, as omweather was working really nice on my previous dead N900 some months ago).

The Following User Says Thank You to Malakai For This Useful Post:

Tags
accuweather, nokia n900, thank you, weather