Thing is- the market is rather crowded nowadays. Producing a device dual booting Android & Meego/Sailfish might not be that stupid after all. Of course this won't happen, but there have been ideas that were a lot more stupid.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Veraendert For This Useful Post:
Posts: 277 | Thanked: 546 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ rack city
That's interesting
"HMD Global was created six months ago explicitly for the purpose of creating Nokia phones. HMD is still a Finnish company, and 16 of the 17 executives on HMD's "Team" page are former Nokia employees".
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/...oming-in-2017/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hardy_magnus For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
The fact these new devices will be Android based means it'll be of no use to the majority here.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
The fact these new devices will be Android based means it'll be of no use to the majority here.
Not sure how you work that out. I would think the majority of people have an Android or iOS phone for practicality reasons. Plus if the new Nokia devices are well designed then they'd beer possible donor devices for other OS installs.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
Not sure how you work that out. I would think the majority of people have an Android or iOS phone for practicality reasons. Plus if the new Nokia devices are well designed then they'd beer possible donor devices for other OS installs.
I figured that out by the outright disdain for Android that's exhibited in this forum ad nauseum.

Folks here were/are up in arms about Sailfish having Android and the rampant "I'll never run it" mantra from key members, albeit somewhat grating, is oft repeated.

I don't think that it's exaggerated at all.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Of course Android has its uses, if it didn't it would not sell so much.
For myself it is just an useful component providing hardware adaptation libraries for devices.

I have to grant it is wonderful that Android is so abundant; Imagine if all devices were WP/iOS, it would be absolutely impossible to port any decent OS to those devices.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Don't get me wrong, I have outright disdain for Android too. Unfortunately it's the only workable OS just now.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
Don't get me wrong, I have outright disdain for Android too. Unfortunately it's the only workable OS just now.
And that just sounds like settling*

*Note: I'm having to use an iPhone and iPad for creative and work purposes now. I know a shitload about "settling"... ugh.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Out of curiosity.
From your all estimate, how likely is it or what would need to happen that HMD offers dualboot option android/sailfish ?

Given they are ex-nokians as i read, maybe they have a sentimental vein Jolla could tap somehow

Like "hey, sent us a prototype and we will adapt SFOS free of charge just for the major exposure, reach and bilateral heartwarming PR story?"

Last edited by mosen; 2016-12-04 at 11:10. Reason: typos

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
And that just sounds like settling*

*Note: I'm having to use an iPhone and iPad for creative and work purposes now. I know a shitload about "settling"... ugh.
In that it's the only one I've found that has an acceptable mix of features and apps I need, decent relatively inexpensive hardware versus the pain of an ugly UI.

Yep, settling. If we had more decent options then it would be a choice rather than a compromise.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post: