Closed Thread
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Almost all of the content is CC. No problem with copying. The problem is making it available again in useful format.
Can you be more specific please?
The only place where I see any statement about licensing is the terms of use site [1] which merely says that there are contents on this site which are not freely redistributable. Unfortunately it neither says which parts of the contents are affected by this nor under which circumstances the rest (whatever that would be) can be redistributed.

[1] http://maemo.org/legal/terms_of_use/

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
Can you be more specific please?
The only place where I see any statement about licensing is the terms of use site [1] which merely says that there are contents on this site which are not freely redistributable. Unfortunately it neither says which parts of the contents are affected by this nor under which circumstances the rest (whatever that would be) can be redistributed.

[1] http://maemo.org/legal/terms_of_use/
I was referring to the website content, which includes the wiki, documentation, forum, etc. This has been discussed and no one sees a problem. There is, of course, some code which is not freely redistributable.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Glad to see discussion. I might as well drop it here among friends that we have registered www.maemocommunity.org. With a disclaimer, and considering that Nokia hasn't branded a product as maemo in over two years, the domain name is among the least of our issues.
I am not a lawyer, but it seems to me that one can use "maemo" or even "nokia" in a domain for a community site without problems, e.g. allaboutmaemo.com or mynokiablog.com.

I wonder if this Plan B should have its own thread? There's probably a discussion already on the maemo-community mailing list, but a lot of people don't read that.

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
The bad thing is that there is *no* discussion in mailing list. Not, that I don't prefer using forum, where it doesn't disappear so easily...

/estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
Yes, I think that moving only the most problematic sections out of Maemo.org could be a good starting point. That in my opinion should be the OBS and repositories, the rest of stuff is mostly working OK and would be easier to move in case of shutdown.
I wonder if this Plan B should have its own thread? There's probably a discussion already on the maemo-community mailing list, but a lot of people don't read that.
I intend to make a posting when I get time this week. But anyone please start a separate thread if you get to it before I do.

I'd like to have a better sense of the cost of maintaining the OBS and repositories for 6 months. The OBS for harmattan may also go dark sometime. How feasible and advantageous would it be (technically) to have a single OBS with harmattan/fremantle(CSSU)/diablo targets and how long would it take?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
After spending 5 hours of my life trying to make the autobuilder build something that was already running on my phone in front of me (5 hours I would happily devote to bugfixing or adding new features) I started thinking, do we NEED the damn thing?

I could upload a .deb and a .tgz instead and save all the hassle.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pali View Post
for mirroring apt repositories is better to use program apt-mirror. I created patch for apt-mirror to support also downloads.maemo.nokia.com see: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...3&postcount=75
Pali,

i'm as weathered (ksh) script guy & know how to find my way around a (*nix) script but...
spent the best part of the past hr trying to get apt-mirror to work on my openSUSE (12.1) machine
nada
thanks to some familiarity with .deb from Maemo i can see that apt-mirror expects to find all apt config files where they are supposed to be... not sure how m$ users are going to deal w/

/etc/apt/mirror.list

guess going to have to delve into my Tubuntu VM

thanks for your Maemo patches!

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
I could upload a .deb and a .tgz instead and save all the hassle.
Autobuilder makes sure, that program will run even on "clean" device, i.e. without any fancy things/tools/whatever, that developers tend to have installed in their dev enviroment/devices/chain

Yet, if there is better way to ensure that, why not?

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Yes that's true, but it should build with the same build-deps as madde anyway, but we are straying off topic so I stop my rant.

The other method is to use clean RDA devices, or have a script to create a clean scratchbox environment for testing.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
A comment on what I though the Council is NOT:

* maemo.org is an open community based on a meritocracy. People with especial permissions have got their merits somehow - usually being good and dedicated at something during a long time. The merit of Council members is to be elected for a period of 6 months. Any other merit a Council member has is because s/he has won it with hard work on something else.

* The Council is not the community driver, but a problem solver. When other drivers in the community get stuck on something there is no way to agree with between people, they try to find a solution path through the Council. But the Council itself is not assigned as such to any project - except to the "project Council" itself. Whatever projects are the Council members involved are their own projects and their own involvement.

* Being a Council member and getting especial permissions granted in the maemo.org server infrastructure are not automatically connected. Anybody helping and contributing to the infrastructure has the potential to get all permissions after going through the steps in between.

* Being a Council member and approving or pulling apps in Testing are not automatically connected. A different thing would be a situation where the Testing team finds an app should be exceptionally approved or pulled, and they just seek a "community blessing" through the council.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
council