Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
Does the N9 support mms?
Yes, it say so on the official Nokia site swipe.nokia.com

http://europe.nokia.com/find-product...specifications

Email and messaging
Easy-to-use email client with attachment support for images, videos, music and documents .doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx, .ppt, .pptx, .odt, .ods, .odp, .pdf
HTML support for email
Email client can combine multiple accounts into one easy-to manage inbox
Easy setup for POP3, IMAP and Mail for Exchange services
Multiple accounts per user supported
Chat instant messaging support: Facebook, Skype, Gtalk, and services using sip
Easy to move between multiple live conversations on open applications view
Unified MMS/SMS editor
Conversational view for SMS
Push email
Messages notifications shown in the event view

Last edited by ericsson; 2011-06-22 at 00:35.

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 540 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
Yes, it does support MMS. It also supports automatic transcoding of videos to MMS-specific size/framerate/bitrate combination that your MMS server reported as preferable. It means that only part of original video would be available (usually up to 30 seconds) but that's how MMS works.

The way how MMS works is simply start creating a message and then attach a video or a picture to it. SMS will automatically convert itself into MMS.

Another way to do it is to Share to MMS -- this is something that any application can add as any application can call into Share UI and provide a content to share. So, you can start from a Gallery, share an image, and select MMS. Or select your own video, share it and select MMS. Both ways -- from creating a message explicitly or selecting a content to share first will work fine.

Last edited by abbra; 2011-06-22 at 05:38.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to abbra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 67 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Los Angeles
The apps view could use some dividers. Would help with organization

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 540 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Hariainm View Post
Please, can somebody please bring to me some light about this features in the new N9, thread has grown a lot since yesterday :-p

- Full landscape view? (landscape menu, browser, conversations, apps in general... landscape keyboard?)
- X terminal?
- App download method based on repositories, like N900?
- Use of the front camera?
- Integration of skype, google talk like N900?
- FM transmitter?
Browser can work in landscape, as well as Feeds, Mail, Gallery, Media players, Chat, and few other applications where it makes sense to use landscape. This "makes sense" is important -- for example, in Feeds you can read posts in portrait and landscape but browse lists of channels and posts only in portrait because the latter makes little sense in landscape due to less vertical estate available.

Virtual keyboard works in both portrait and landscape modes and inhertis the mode set by an application. It is actually quite usable in both modes and in landscape mode it is preffered to use it with two hands -- you can type quite fast then. If multiple languages are configured in Settings, you can switch layouts for the virtual keyboard by swiping through the keyboard. On several layouts you also will find some keys overloaded with multiple characters (available on a bit longer press) to avoid layout switching and facilitate faster input -- specifically targeted for accented characters in many European languages and to our Cyrillic users with alphabets extended from standard Russian (Belarussian, Ukrainian, for example).

Apps management is done through a similar technology (Debian repositories), though Ovi Store already in N900 was doing bit differently due to their own technical requirements.

Front camera is used by real time communications. All the chat integration is similar to what was in N900. Now there are more integrated points and common accounts management so you can see and configure all your accounts in a centralized way for every single type of external communication -- be it chat or social networking uploads.

I've been told there is no FM transmitter hardware. This may or may not be true as HW specs kept changing but I would not put any stakes on its presence.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to abbra For This Useful Post:
Just some questions:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=494

I posted in the other thread for error because I was reading the two at the same time (multitask)

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Arctic Circle / Finland
I heard that there is terminal allready, phone just must be set in developer mode to get it visible.

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
I've collected all the public info as well as videos we have regarding the N950 and wrote an article on meetmeego.org (in German though).
It explains how to get a N950, too.
http://meetmeego.org/2011/06/22/noki...-eins-bekommt/

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
One interesting observation…

Has anyone noticed that the lock-screen notifications work exactly like they do on the apples new iOS-5….

So is Nokia still making the nits? Or is the development scrapped along with meego?
I had high hopes for the N9 but it certainly didn't deliver. Lack of hwkb (I can live without this, but then the swkb better be good), no FM-transmitter, no irda, no kickstand and no flash. I would have understood if few of them would be gone but all of them? That's an instant deal breaker for me. And what I would think is the biggest downfall, non-replaceable battery. What happens when the phone jams and pressing the powerbutton does nothing? It's a rare thing to happen on my N900, but remembering back to my symbian phones, that was almost a daily routine. I really don't understand it being a question about it looking better, it's like buying a car with square tires just because it looks better.
And having the phone to record 720p without HDMI port is just stupid. You have no way to watch you videos in full resolution. If this was supposed to be targeted at a more wide audience, then people shouldn't have to copy their videos to their comps just to watch some clips. And what happened to usb otg? The year old N8 has it, why not this one?
But I must admit, the phone looks great! And the UI with all the swiping looks very good. But I don't understand the talk about it being the first true touch phone? N900 doesn't have any buttons on the front either. And the phone being all one big touchscreen seems to be untrue, the glass covers the front almost completely but the screen is alot smaller than the glass. All in all I'm thinking the N9 more of a successor to the N8, not for the N900.
The N950 is a step up from the N9, but apparently isn't available to the consumers. (Who the **** came up with that?) And the looks of it are more appealling (atleast for me), nice looking aluminium casing, bigger screen. Imho the N900 is still by far the best nokia phone on the market. And what, it's 2 year old technology?
The N9 would have been great if it would have hit the shelves last year. This I have to say is Nokia's biggest problem. When they start designign a phone, it's top of the line. But they should be designing something that is top of the line after they start selling it, the competition doesn't just sit there rolling their thumbs.

So does anyone has any knowledge about NITs? I don't think that it's about the money, or else there wouldn't have been the internet tablets in the first place. As I see it, they weren't targeted at the general public, but more for the geeks.

lets hope cordia gets ported quickly

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland