Active Topics

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Had a good chuckle at this article at The Register this morning.

Just what Nokia needs yet another OS and dilution of Nokia's resources.

The only decent thing Palm might have left is their patent portfolio.

Palm is useless. Maybe for free.
Apple would have lots of extra cash but is not interested either, so the patent portfolio probably isnt that interesting.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
With Palm going under, what happens to all that Garnet software? If Nokia got hold of some of that, maybe they could achieve for the N900 some things they had on the N800 and N810, such as compatibility with Audible.com books, like iPads, iTouches, and IPods do.

Posts: 319 | Thanked: 289 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lisboa, Portugal
I am tired of the Americans trying to dump their sh*tty companies on our Europeans backs.

This guy talks about webOS, Android and MeeGo as if they are totally different beasts. Poor bloke. Services are the thing that Nokia should concentrate and thats what I think they are going with MeeGo. "Creating" a new OS that is developed by everyone and dump all Ovi stuff on it and make money.

Let Palm fail.

I actually thought that the atricle would be one of the hundreds that again don't even know about Qt or Maemo, MeeGo and just talk how would buying Palm is a no brainer for Nokia, but then most of those articles are from Silicon Valley or just from NA.

Still about Nokia buying Palm. Well Nokia at least in theory got it all planned out with S40, Symbian Foundation and Harmattan/MeeGo and we need to remember that 2010 Q4 and 2011 Q1 is when we have gone full circle with Symbian and Maemo.
Palm just simply put doesn't fit to that picture.

About Palm patents that i have been hearing i don't really believe they got anything there. Sure they are one of the older companies, but Nokia owns whole GSM sector patents pretty much on it's own, but i don't know if Palm got presense in CDMA patents(i doubt they do when Qualcomm rules there). I woulnd't really buy a company that loses money every quarter for couple of UI patents filled in USA.

Last edited by tissot; 2010-04-16 at 08:55.

Well I'd buy Palm to get the people who designed the supposedly excellent UI. But then I wouldn't want to inherit WebOS and a range of devices... and getting rid of those would make people hate.

I'm not clear why there's so much animosity toward Palm. More competition is good. They showed that multitasking can be run efficiently on an ARM Cortex processor, when Apple said otherwise. Apple added "multitasking". And from what I've read, they have the best notification system and quite an intuitive way to kill tasks (flicking applications up). Also, it seems they've built their system mostly on gestures that are well thought out. They do bring interesting things to the table.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by fms View Post
May Lenovo buy Palm and go bankrupt!
Who is going to make me thinkpads, then ?

But seriously, TFA's author likes WebOS and that's about it. I would say he's not too aware of what/how Qt works, as then he would realize there's nothing preventing you from writing whole apps in QtScript (~javascript), Python, C++, plus you get the QtWebkit connection, etc, etc. All in all Qt is a hidden gem with regard to mobile development (especially once QML and QtMobility sets in), if it has a serious drawback, it's probably the curse of plenty - so many things that can be done in so many ways.

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Who is going to make me thinkpads, then ?
Nobody is making thinkpads any more anyway. Lenovo produces garbage with "ThinkPad" shoddily plastered on top.

But seriously, TFA's author likes WebOS and that's about it.
But of course. There has been constant stream of "Nokia/HTC/Apple are losers, should buy Palm, switch to WebOS" pundits for months now. I guess few of them understand that the last successful software platform Palm produced was Garnet, and that happened years ago.