Notices

This isn't fully featured just yet, but I plan to develop it further and hopefully get assistance and feedback from the community!

It's basically like android-notifier but for our Maemo powered N900s!

(It's written in Python and the client is developed on/for Ubuntu) Sorry if that restricts the user base, but that's what I'm using! I will be making a generic Linux client (same one, but not relying on Ubuntu stuff) and a Windows client. This will be some time in the future.

Edit: Ubuntu, Mac OS X and Windows versions now available!

http://sourceforge.net/projects/n900notifier/

Last edited by scottuss; 2010-11-01 at 12:53.

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to scottuss For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by scottuss View Post
And what is an android-notifier?

It shows notifications of incoming calls and SMS messages on your computer's desktop. Useful if you keep your phone in your pocket or somewhere else.

http://code.google.com/p/android-notifier/

The Following User Says Thank You to scottuss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by scottuss View Post
This isn't fully featured just yet, but I plan to develop it further and hopefully get assistance and feedback from the community!

(It's written in Python and the client is developed on/for Ubuntu) Sorry if that restricts the user base, but that's what I'm using! I will be making a generic Linux client (same one, but not relying on Ubuntu stuff) and a Windows client. This will be some time in the future.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/n900notifier/
This sounds good. How do we install it? Where do we copy over the script files....

I would like to check this out

Posts: 176 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Netherlands
okay so if it is what im thinking about..

it should be notifier of this video ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKZEDuCrNdE

will it be compatible for windows ?

The Following User Says Thank You to Psycho For This Useful Post:
I've been using it all day. It works perfectly for me. Have only tested texts though.

I guess it would be nice to make an attractive icon to go next to the message. (I would ask for the contact's image but that would be far too much effort)

I actually began working on this and managed to display a notification with the phone number that was calling using SSH, dbus-monitor and some bash trickery.

The Following User Says Thank You to Reffyyyy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 176 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Netherlands
N900 Notifier is a simple application to display notifications of incoming SMS and Calls on your computer. It is similar to android-notifier. The client runs on N900 devices (Maemo) and the server component runs on Ubuntu.

argh cant we make this for windows ?

Originally Posted by badboyuk View Post
This sounds good. How do we install it? Where do we copy over the script files....

I would like to check this out
Run the server.py file using:

Code:
python server.py
You then need to copy the client.py script to your N900, and run it using

Code:
python client.py
Don't forget to open the script files and change the HOSTNAME according to your needs.

A nice GUI and package is on the way, but for now, this is probably just for testing.

Originally Posted by Reffyyyy View Post
I've been using it all day. It works perfectly for me. Have only tested texts though.

I guess it would be nice to make an attractive icon to go next to the message. (I would ask for the contact's image but that would be far too much effort)

I actually began working on this and managed to display a notification with the phone number that was calling using SSH, dbus-monitor and some bash trickery.
The latest version can lookup the contact from your phone book, however we don't currently have the functionality to get the contact image. It may be something for the future, but for now, it isn't planned.

I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
N900 Notifier is a simple application to display notifications of incoming SMS and Calls on your computer. It is similar to android-notifier. The client runs on N900 devices (Maemo) and the server component runs on Ubuntu.

argh cant we make this for windows ?
We're working on getting this to be multi-platform but currently Linux and Mac OS X are our main focus. Windows compatibility will exist, but I'm not sure when. Sorry!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scottuss For This Useful Post: