Originally Posted by Android_808 View Post
my reason for suggesting a move not centered around meego was based on the fact that the project is transitioning to tizen. Are the current community devs happy with this change? Will the HTML5 focus lose developers? What will happen with QT/QML? Lots of questions whose answers will not be known for some time yet.

Meego, as it currently stands, as several have pointed out, is probably the best way forward at the moment. It is more up to date, better drivers etc etc. My suggestion was purely about in the long term. Unfortunately I wasn't around when Mer was, so I don't know the full story there.
blah blah blah. Video camera doesn't work, I can only just launch a phone call from the phone book and their idea of milestone worth advertising is 'ringtone sounds on incoming call' (mostly). Somehow i get the impression it still is not ready for normal consumption. Oh that and the 'meego ce is not for end users' thing. face it, meego blows. There are NO meego devices and even if there were, there is no software to run on them and even if there was there is no gui to organise it. I want to like meego so much but it is just a relentless saga of fail.

But at least there is an n950 version almost ready. Herp derp F-OFF plebs, your not 1337 enough to be in the meego club.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
blah blah blah. Video camera doesn't work, I can only just launch a phone call from the phone book and their idea of milestone worth advertising is 'ringtone sounds on incoming call' (mostly). Somehow i get the impression it still is not ready for normal consumption. Oh that and the 'meego ce is not for end users' thing. face it, meego blows. There are NO meego devices and even if there were, there is no software to run on them and even if there was there is no gui to organise it. I want to like meego so much but it is just a relentless saga of fail.

But at least there is an n950 version almost ready. Herp derp F-OFF plebs, your not 1337 enough to be in the meego club.
I like the cut of your jib. Finally, someone tells it like it is for a change.

My website

GitHub

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
blah blah blah. Video camera doesn't work, I can only just launch a phone call from the phone book and their idea of milestone worth advertising is 'ringtone sounds on incoming call' (mostly).
Writing software is hard. And what you're seeing here is both that writing software is hard, and that finished, polished software doesn't just plop out on release day - it actually looks like **** in the meantime. That isn't for everyone, granted, but for those who actually want to have a say in the features and workings of what goes on their devices, this is a good thing. For everyone else, perhaps you need to wait until releases are made where these key essentials do actually work, yes.

1.3 (as expected) caused a lot of upsets to functionality for various reasons, as a lot changed. This has now mostly settled down, and *most* things work again.

Regardless, my personal intention is to have it usable as a day to day device, and that's what I'm working towards.

There are NO meego devices
It'll run on the N900, and on the N9. It's (relatively) easy to port to other hardware, especially now we have the potential to have a lot more community direction and a lot less red-tape.

there is no software to run on them and even if there was there is no gui to organise it.
If you're specifically talking about apps, increasingly, there has been work ongoing to get stuff from Harmattan working on there, and that's been (mostly) an easy process from what I hear. There is also the apps.formeego.com stuff, which is IIRC targetting both MeeGo CE and Harmattan, so you'll have more stuff from there.

But at least there is an n950 version almost ready.
The n950 version is no different from the one you get on the n900, except for hardware adaptation bits, i.e, bits to drive phonecalls etc on there. The applications and UI are shared and identical between both.

Hope you understand: I'm not trying to attack with this, just sharing some of the position as it is.

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
(...) there would not be enough money raised by this small group to entice a company like Nokia (especially under current circumstances) to release their tight grip on ANY asset (...)
There. That was my point. Well, my point was disbelief in the unfounded optimism on countering Nokias accumulated business sense with $100.

Though, truth be told, my faith in Nokias business sense died during the period Feb. 9th to Feb 11th.

The Following User Says Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:

Tags
buysomethinelse, winding down