Closed Thread
in reply to eiffel's post, the apps that get the nod as being killer apps are things that Nokia want to push for the next tabet. We have a reasonable idea of what will be included and I'm sure anything that isn't doable due to missing hw will be flagged as such by Quim and the rest of the maemo team.

But come on people, let's come up with some cool app ideas, there's no coding required atm, just some imagination. The coding can start once the wheat and chaff have been separated.

The Following User Says Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
I'd recommend putting some shine on the following application, I think these would make the NIT a very mainstream device.

USBtoVGA - This is something I think Nokia can greatly contribute to. Of course a hardware Video Out would work also.
Abiword - This project just need a bit more porting support to make it stable and generally screen clean-up work so it's useable for the general public.
Gnuermic - Stable & very useful, but some secondary screen need to be cleaned up
"Powerpoint" compatible application - This combine with the USBtoVGA would make the NIT the default hardware for every traveling salesman / presenter.
Contacts w/ built in syncing - Many good application to build upon, but most need some cleanup or better sync, importing, etc.
Calander - Many good application to build upon, but most need some cleanup or better sync, importing, etc.
Phonelink - A great application (assuming a better base contacts application) if the next generation NIT doesn't have built in phone, but seems to suffer from installation / setup challenges

Just my two cents

The Following User Says Thank You to urnass For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Support for blogs is nice, I think latest Pidgin includes this via plugins? The problem with blogs is: each has their own API. There is no standard. So what is necessary is an abstraction layer which supports the different APIs, and then a common interface between the abstraction layer and the blogging interface. This isn't easy, nor something done in 2 days work.

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Maybe an idea could be for Nokia to start doing bounty-based initiatives - such as putting out a bounty for certain programs to get written.

Work on PIM, improving open source wifi driver, etc..
Yes, very good idea. I would donate to several projects, but just not in big amounts like more hunderds of EUR. 50 EUR for a project important to me is my max. If we'd collaborate this way, we'd vote with our wallet.

(In fact I believe this model is the way of the future regarding software development.)

I would also like to port more software (and it seems I'm getting Scratchbox working oon x86-64...) but also want to keep in mind future compatibility or rather: lack thereof.

Last edited by allnameswereout; 2008-10-23 at 19:41.

Posts: 112 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Victoria, BC
I have only one app request, and that is a decent media player for audiobooks. Something like Pocket Tunes. I don't care about album covers or any of that nonsense, just a player that can remember the file you were listening to and where you stopped.

Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Something that I've been daydreaming over the last little while but haven't actually had the time to work on...

Something that the N810 ads seemed to push was social networking and connectivity... especially with Facebook and so on. What I would really like to see is an app that makes social networking, specifically the things done on those networks, easier. And I want it to work offline as well.

One app that can do blogging, microblogging, uploading photos to Flickr/Facebook/etc, compiling songs played in Media Player and scrobbling them to Last.fm... all of that stuff in one app, perhaps a status bar icon allowing quick access... or an frontend/daemon setup.

Personally, I don't have a phone and I'm not always within distance of a wifi access point, but I don't want to have to stop and wait until I do to do things.

A typical usage scenario might be... I guess doing what I do daily, leaving work and heading for home at the end of the day. I'll be listening to music with Media Player, sit down on my seat on the bus and decide to write up a blog post, tag and upload a few pictures to Flickr and Facebook, and maybe a tweet or two. I'll open up this app and get to work. (Maybe we'll call it Sociale... just to give it that extra international flavor Maemo fans seem to like.)

(Perhaps the front end stores and sends everything (by d-bus?) for doing these tasks to a daemon that awaits a connection and once it sees one active, posts everything as asked without further interaction from the client. This can work like the e-mail client currently does, where you write your e-mails offline and hit send and then when your tablet goes online, you just see the "mail sent" notification box pop up. No apps needing to stay open hogging screen space.)

Once I get back home and the tablet connects, the backend posts my blog posts, my tweets and microblogs and sends Last.fm my musical choices.

Basically, think of something like the ping.fm site except it's an application, can work offline and can handle other types of things such as photos and music and whatever else.

Dunno... just an idea. I know it would make my tablet usage much more efficient and fun.
Well that's something like google gears. But I doubt Nokia will want to have something like that in its "AlwaysOn" N900. But the idea is great, I'd use it all the time.

My TCW,
Before we start building new killer apps lets fix the current killer apps and not so killer apps.
Lets start with the current UI.
Why do we need three menus when one will suffice. See my screen shots below where I integrated the three into one. Then I'm working on putting my movies,mp3,books,etc... on the main screen. Why do I need to go to file manager to do that. See screen shot below.
Next the UI needs the status bar to go further across the top left. I like being able to see my status bar clock, wifi, battery,etc..while in another apps. Please someone port the OMWeather app to the status bar.
Next the UI needs to have a see through menu. Nokia has done this to their new music phone. I want my menus to float in front of my background screenshot. See through apps might even work. It would be cool to have apps floating in front of your background. See Nokia phone menu below.
http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/02/n...usic-hands-on/
Next the UI needs to be more customizable. I would like to move things around with ease.
Next the UI needs IMO motion in background(ala matrix screen, or radar(see below), etc...). I'm tired of static backgrounds. I'm working on this so if anyone cares to contribute it would be greatly appreciated.
App manager needs lots of work. If Apple and even MS can update OS wihout nuking your apps and/or OS then Nokia should do the same. I have never been able to fix an rc2.d corruption that occurred in my first Diablo install, no I will not reflash because it would take me two solid weeks to put everything back to where I have it(please anyone know how to fix rc2.d corruption?). Apps and OS should update automatically without going bonkers. No third party apps should get fried when updating OS.
Next Diablo update needs to have dual boot,speed acceleration, and rotation integrated into OS. If you are one of the few souls not dual booting please do so immediately. You are missing out on the most powerful feature Nxx's have over competition. I have dual boot with 1gb swap and it allows me to have multiple apps running. The new class six sdhc cards really help Nxx run better.
Next please fix the camera. There are some decent camera apps that could use some TLC from Nokia.
Next please add QTParted to Hildon. This app and EmelFM2 make adding and fixing internal problems much easier.
Next please have nokia pay Skype to install camera functionality. I have too many friends in other countries that can only use Skype.
Next liqbase needs Nokias help. Enough said.
Next Canola. Great app but too bloated. It should not occupy the entire screen because I can't get easy access to my other Hildon apps and menus. Maybe if they made Canola transparent then it might help but as it stands the current hw cannot handle this app very well. Its a shame because it is a wonderful app.
Next mail client. Its actually much better than before. I would like to write emails offline then when I'm in WIFI zone send as has been suggested. I really like the email notifications I get via screen and LED blinking. Nice to be in an app and have email announcement also nice to get blinking LED when N800 is just idling with a black screen. Kudos.
Next Please Nokia fix the player. It has steadily improved in the past year and a half, BUT it has a long way to go. Still chokes on even the simplest mp4,streaming video,etc... This app is the soul of Nxx and it should be able to handle any audio/video/streaming that is thrown at it.
Next please Nokia add a true voice app. Flite is nice but too puny. I love when flite calls out my directions in Maemo Mapper(awesome app that needs Nokia TLC). I would love to have voice commands on N800 especially next N900. I can have text read easily in PB KDE but on Hildon its a pain.
Next KDE should be integrated into next OS. I would prefer that it be integrated like Qoles Easy Debian app. Oh how sweet KDE is. Now if it could be migrated into Hildon so that I could setup all the different apps within KDE as separate menu items on my main menu I would be in heaven.
Next shame on Nokia if they don't integrate Qoles Easy Debian into next OS. What a beautiful and masterful piece of work Easy Debian is. I can see my Hildon screen while in Easy Debain and can even put individual Debian apps in my Hildon menu. Debian depository has over 20,000 apps that can be in most cases ported quite easily. Try GIMP on N800 its absolutely amazing. Many Kudos to all those Maemo developers who have helped put Debian into Hildon.
Next I want my QT apps now Nokia! Has anyone tried QTStalker on Easy Debian. The most powerful app for N800 bar none. Thanks Fatalsaint for porting it for us. Thanks also go to Stskeeps and B-man for all their Debian and maybe even Ubuntu mobile work. MANY KUDOS.
Next we need full encryption. EasyCrypt is a good start. Talk about powerful app when combined with Truecrypt. The Nxx's desperately needs this high level encryption because they are portable and prone to loss theft and snoopy loved ones.
We need an app that can handle photos without choking. GQView, Mirage and Quiver are awesome but need help they tend to strain CPU.
Next work on getting instrument apps. PyAno and PyDrum are a hoot. Very Nice work.
Next Paint apps. Mypaint and TuxPaint are very good they could use some TLC. I love to draw especially on my photos. Would be cool to draw on built in camera photos and video.
Need more scientific calculators and apps. WXMaxima, Sliderule, EasyChem are a good start. Think how many students, engineers and scientists would buy Nxx if they had apps for them.
Bluetooth needs works. Checkout Bluemaemo for cool app using bluetooth. How about full Ad2P integration. I want to be able to use my stereo bluetooth earbuds and headphones easily.
Carman is revolutionary. Needs work but talk about out of the box idea. Diagnose my car with N800. Way insanely cool killer app.
Next how about some widgets. Boy do I like widgets. I have one on my Mac that tells me where my packages are at any moment.
Now for future killer apps that will take advantage of new processor and other hw upgrades.
Next SIP VOIP seemless integration. DialCentral is a good start.
Next Nokia needs to work on pentesting tools. Please help develop KIsmet, NMap, Dsniff, Metasploit, Ettercap, Hydra and many others. IT pros would buy Nxx's by the cases if these tools where integrated into Nxx's properly.
Please Nokia add accelerometers(4 minimum). MS jut showed off an app that allows you to control screen from outside of device(lots of other cool apps on Youtube).
Next please Nokia save yourself a lot of work and take Googles G1 Android open source code and put it on your next N900 and OS. Why reinvent the wheel. Actually I'm downloading it now because apparently you can build your own cell phone with the code and some other hw/sw easily available.
Next killer app would be to port Mac OS and MS OS. I don't know about the rest of you but 95% of the business people I deal with use those two OS and it would be great to have them ported to the N900 from day one. It won't be easy but it seems doable from online chats. Look I want as many different OS on my N900 as exist. Linux is about choice and the freedom to choose.
Next killer app would be remote control with integrated IR. I envision the day that I could easily control my stereo/TV/Appliances/car at home/work with my N900. See MythTV, Irreco and others for examples.
Next a full blown dictionary app that when you highlight a word in any other app or online a little window pops up and gives you the definition in any language you choose. See StarDict for an idea of what I'm talking about or see my screenshot below if you need example.
Next language translator. Take Stardict dictionaries in foreign languages(I have about 60 so far) add Full blown flite or other voice app and presto killer language translator.
Next develop XMM more. great app. I would love to see MPD developed more. Sonata could use some TLC.
Next Mephemeris needs some attention. Take a look at the all the features packed into that puppy. Unbelievable first time app.
Next KMPlayer with worldtv99. What a dynamite app that just keeps getting better. Internet TV for us. Awesome.
Next Conky. I fixed the flickering problem by making it reload every 25 seconds instead of every 5. great little home applet that really gives you lots of usefull info in an easy to read floating widget.
I envision N900 to be a multi-purpose tool to help me in my work and in my personal life. I'm willing and able to contribute as much of my little spare time to helping get these and others great ideas mentioned here and elsewhere working on Nxx's.
And those are my two cents worth.
Attached Images

Last edited by dan; 2008-10-23 at 21:52.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Originally Posted by urnass View Post
"Powerpoint" compatible application - This combine with the USBtoVGA would make the NIT the default hardware for every traveling salesman / presenter.
A presentation program really would be a widely-appreciated app. It could be taken a step further: if a second tablet is available, the VGA cable can be plugged into one tablet while the presenter holds the other tablet and can walk around with the other tablet as a controller (linked using bluetooth or ad-hoc wifi).

The touch screen could even be used to generate a "laser pointer" effect, to highlight with a red "dot" the part of the slide the presenter is talking about.

Here are two other apps that would rock on the Nokia tablets:

- A real "painting" program: an artistic one where you can use your fingers like a brush, blend colors, paint as if with oils or watercolors, etc.

- A game creation program, something simple that kids love, such as a tabletized version of Scratch. A simple port won't work because it's an interpreter which is itself written in Smalltalk - and also because the interface should be simplified for the tablet.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Hey dan, nice comments, but kinda unorganized. You have to realize that they are not going to do most of the things you said. Dual boot, rotation (for now), Android (sigh, I wish), Windows and Mac (yeah right), pentesting tools, partition editors, etc... If you want those, things you have to install them yourself. This is a good thing, because most people should not have those advanced tools. Other than that, I like what yo said.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by dan View Post
Next shame on Nokia if they don't integrate Qoles Easy Debian into next OS. What a beautiful and masterful piece of work Easy Debian is. I can see my Hildon screen while in Easy Debain and can even put individual Debian apps in my Hildon menu. Debian depository has over 20,000 apps that can be in most cases ported quite easily. Try GIMP on N800 its absolutely amazing. Many Kudos to all those Maemo developers who have helped put Debian into Hildon.
I don't see Easy Debian being a Nokia-sponsored app, since it is all about doing an end-run around maemo... I'm personally hoping that the next OS will actually be closer to Debian in terms of kernel version and core libraries, so we won't have to do the chroot thing at all.

I'd really like to see dm-loop support in the next OS. This allows image files to be accessed almost as quickly as native partitions. This, coupled with some sort of native support for creating an image file on your memory card and then extending your root filesystem into this image file, could allow users to upgrade their storage space without having to understand how to partition memory cards or clone the file system...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
dm-loop looks awesome. Have you put it into next Easy Debian Qole?
I've put every app I listed above into my N800, some required insane amounts of time only to find they barely work with present hw constraints. I made the above comments because the above apps would entice a lot of very skilled and educated users to give Nxx's a shot they would otherwise not give because of Apple and MS massive marketing budgets.
What I would like to see is Nokia spot a descent app developed here and help it blossom. Apple kills its third party developers and Google seems to be following Apples lead. MS just ignores everyone equally. By Nokia helping third party apps get developed seamlessly into Hildon they increase user choices and inspire others to spend more time developing.
Maybe make groups and put apps into each group with one Nokia developer overseeing and giving out assistance to each group third party developers. EX.have a pentesting group, remote control video/audio group, remote access group, encryption group, etc...
The heavy work is being done outside of Nokia adhoc and it shows. I remember the problems with USB we had because no one outside Nokia knew what the internal controls were. Same for UI, etc... This is a way for Nokia to get a lot of help for free and keep their secrets. We benefit because we get to help build the dream device we want.
We should also work to see what apps we can combine or help build so that they can work together. Ex. Stardic dictionary widget works well in FBReader and RSS reader. I would love to combine Maemo Mapper, flite with the camera. Nokia can afford to pay for licenses that would allow us to use our tablets better(think Skype video,Java,silverlight). I personally think voice, accelerometers, video out, hd video, cell phone and multi-touch are perfect ways for Nxx's to shine above the competition in the consumer arena. Then making the Nxx's the most flexible, adaptable hw/sw allows developers/hackers/tinkers to take it into the future. As you can see I and many here use our Nxx's in many unique ways throughout the day. Let's make the development process easier( I would like a video on how to package a .deb directly on my N800). Lets make the apps install and function easier. Let's make the OS upgrades not nuke our custom setups(I have triple OS on my Mac and PC and they never nuke my setup when I upgrade the each OS why should one OS upgrade then nuke my entire N800 setup?). Then we can build killer apps. Just another two cents. I'm tired I'll go away now.

Closed Thread

Tags
development