Notices

Posts: 176 | Thanked: 262 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Texas, USA
I keep up with the Fennec beta builds and I noticed that Mozilla stopped making them for Maemo as of a few weeks ago. I could not find a posting about why they were not being built so I shot off an e-mail. The response is disheartening.

That is correct, Firefox 7 on Maemo is the last officially supported release by Mozilla. although you may still be able to find nightly builds spun out at: http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.o...al-maemo5-gtk/.

Although I'm not certain how much longer those will be generated, if support ends with Firefox 7.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mooninite For This Useful Post:
Sucks but I can see why. I'm a nightly user and honestly, it is seriously better than the standard one (much faster.) That and it doesn't seem any less stable if you ask me.

The Following User Says Thank You to cincibluer6 For This Useful Post:
So basically "Firefox for mobile" has been reduced to "Firefox for Android" now.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 586 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Opera browser is very smooth and nice. Try it love it

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Makeclick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 105 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ India
And my respect for opera grows even more.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to niloy For This Useful Post:
And Firefox for N9 as well, and supposedly for Windows Mango as well, isnīt it?

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
I love Opera because they still release updates for my N800 after all these years.

The Following User Says Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 778 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Jun 2010
firefox.. why u turn into nokia?
no u tell me!!
why?! why why why why why?!
*beats u with a stick like an indian parent*

kinda sad and doesn't care at the same time. fennec has a potential and the browser is a good one. but, a somewhat failed project that didn't met the expectations with it's slow start ups and resource hungry. can't understand why microb still beats firefox when it's the image of the former and the former get updates...

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
I suspect MicroB beats fennec on start-ups because as I understand it, aspects of the MicroB browser are preloaded into memory when the N900 boots. So microb is always partially open. (Keep in mind Conversations uses modified browser windows to open up each conversation too, so the part of microb that's always open is multi-purpose.)

Honestly though, if only Fennec used the stock status/menu bar instead of their own at the top, I would switch to whatever the latest nightly build is. I would /strongly prefer/ to also have the swirl-to-zoom gesture and the mouse cursor selection, but even with the lack of those I'd be willing to convert.

(Not so much to Opera as my main browser, but that's mainly because I don't like non-desktop pages and at some level I still care about having flash, though the constantly worsenning out-dated-ness of our flash player makes that less and less relevant. But major respect to Opera for continued support. I do use it on my N900 occasionally, even if I'm unwilling to use it as my main browser.)

Tags
goodbye nokia, winding down