Is there a way to set up u-boot without flashing? I have a broken USB port and thus can't flash a new kernel.

Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by taixzo View Post
Is there a way to set up u-boot without flashing? I have a broken USB port and thus can't flash a new kernel.
You can install it from the debs provided by pali (I'm not sure they are in any repo... I think so, but you should ask in u-boot thread to be sure). Then the phone flashes itself (the u-boot package flashes the kernel booting part of memory with u-boot and attached kernel). USB is not needed to flash u-boot.

The Following User Says Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
Thanks. I've been working on something similar. I plan to release some helper scripts very soon that will make it easy for anyone to bootstrap and customise their own Debian Jessie system with a recent kernel.
That would be cool. Check this ubuntu installer maybe it will speed up your progress

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elros34 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by AapoRantalainen View Post
Seeders? Or direct download link?
Same here.
If I get the image I can provide a quite stable though slow seed.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 770 | Thanked: 558 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Abidjan
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
Would also be interested in booting/testing from internal, mmc currently in use in Jolla. (and count me in if you need testers or other low skilled helpers)
Oh please, it's been a long time that we didn't have a project like this about the N900, please, please, don't break my joy with Jolla / Sailfish stuff!!!!

Originally Posted by wicket View Post
I'll be sure to check out your image to see what you've done and if there's anything useful I can use in my scripts.
My script is really simple, as it is just a debootstrap on steroids :-) There are lots of info in the ubuntu and arch threads. I have another post on another debian thread that outlines the steps.

The most important tweaks are the keyboard configuration, X calibration and choice of packages.

Of course, the devil is in the details, so to make a script to create a really tweaked system ready for use requires a lot of work.

Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
Some screenshots will do great
Just added ;-)

The Following User Says Thank You to caveman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by AapoRantalainen View Post
Seeders? Or direct download link?
I will look into it, but I don't have a suitable system available.
How you did this image? How about adding user-account, autostarting X, and keymap (things mentioned on first post)? I know it will still not be production-ready, but little closer.
For the image creation, see
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...2&postcount=14
and
https://wiki.debian.org/n900-wheezy-armhf

Regarding the lack of configuration, that was intentional, so as to make clear that this is not a end-user image. Nonetheless:
* to add a user account user, adduser <username> and add the user to goups audio, video, netdev and plugdev
* to have X autostart, apt-get install a display manager such as slim
* the keymap is configured, but a loadkeys is required to load the arch-thread version of the keymap, which I like a lot but is non-standard. This can easily be automated by placing the command in /etc/rc.local.

I see lot of potential of this (more than my latest attempt to seriously update Fremantle: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=91709).
I believe this has potential as well, but the lack of touch-enabled apps impair casual use, as opposed to dedicated use (where you can really use the stylus to pick a desktop app menu item).

Maybe a thumb-patched nemo kernel would even be used to run hildon in a chroot.

--------
Can I use repartitioned internal flash instead of card? (No spare cards on hands.)
--------
Yes, sure. My n900 has this installation on a 11Gb partition in the eMMC. The only required modification is to change /etc/fstab to use UUIDs and change the u-boot item file to point to the correct root device.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to caveman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Android_808 View Post
Maybe even swap in connman.
As a quick note, connman is in the image.

I will try to make this link available for a few days:
https://187.115.25.181/public/n900/jessie.dd.xz

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to caveman For This Useful Post: