Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Does the Journey Continues With iOS 8? (Released today)

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Here is the live blog...

http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/02/a...2014-liveblog/

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
If there is something to write about then sure, but until I have had it for at least 6 months I wouldn't feel confident giving my opinion to a community full of developers on the subject.

The Following User Says Thank You to xxxxts For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Well, Mixcrosoft has tried. Only they approached it from the opposite side. Instead of making their mobiles looks like desktop, they made the destop look like a mobile. With catastrophic consequences for both.

Regarding xxxxt's post #61, I find it rather baffling that someone might even claim that "SSHd, being able to mirror your devices on a separate display, VNC, a proper filing system and even compression tools" are "things everyone can fundamentally agree are important". I am happy to wager that most iPhone users have never heard of SSH or VNC, have no idea what a filing system is and have never used compression tools. In fact, what most iPhone users do with their phones can be done with any 5 years old phone and the only reason they buy an iPhone is because it is shiny.

As for mirroring your screen, it requires updating your tech every time a new version comes out which is something not everyone cares to do, even if they could afford it. I bought my new car in 2009 and I still refer to it as "my new car". Unfortunately it did not come with an AUX input. Instead it came with an iPhone slot - apparently the manufacturers considered it relevant at that time. What a waste of space. I tried it with a friend's iPhone and was rather disappointed at what functionality it provided. It made me actually glad that I do not have an iPhone. N900 + Symphonie + FM are much more flexible.
You misunderstood me, I meant everyone that is a developer/geek/hacker/whatever. As far as upgrading the hardware, you could always mirror your device to a large display with a cable but from the iPhone 4S onwards it was possible, a device that is 3 years old or so now.

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
What do you mean here? To my mind, there's not much difference between the top cellphone companies. (And this includes Nokia.) The only significant achievement in the last decade or so was made by Apple, and that's because they had Steve Jobs -- instead of just slapping together as many different parts as possible into as tiny a box as possible and shipping it out as fast as possible, Jobs demanded that there be a reason behind the design of their small box. As with most Apple products (until recent years), the original iPhone actually had sub-par hardware compared to contemporary cell phones, but what it did have was perfectly integrated and logically designed. It was the perfect product for consuming media, and as such, outshone all the others, even at its outrageous price.

The reason I jumped ship from the iPhone to the N900 was that, unlike every other smartphone in existence, Nokia did not try to turn the N900 into a handheld TV set. Instead, they used their "internet tablet" OS for it, which is in essence a miniaturized desktop operating system. I don't count this as a "significant achievement", because really, this seems like the obvious move to me -- simply take what works on the desktop, and squeeze it until it fits into your pocket.

This is not to say that the N900 is a better handheld media player than the iPhone; it most certainly is not. However, if you want a handheld desktop computer, it is pretty much the only option available. (Nokia did try to turn the N9 into a handheld TV set, unfortunately...)

Many manufacturers today make cell phones and tablets. However, I would submit that these are all media consumption devices. They do not run the same OS as desktop or laptop machines, they have extremely limited input abilities, extremely limited expansion abilities, and you literally have to hack into the operating system (and, therefore, invalidate your warrantee, as well as sacrifice any updates from the manufacturer) to run any useful apps that the manufacturer has deemed unnecessary for you to use.

They are, however, extremely beautiful and capable media consumption devices.

In the end, yes, manufacturers are making these devices because they can make oodles of money selling them. Steve Jobs' concept of a portable media player has proven to be highly successful. It'd be interesting to see what other devices could be made, if we ever get another manufacturer led by someone who actually has an interest in how these devices are designed.

And yes, there are innumerable cute little apps available for the iPhone / Android / Windows phone. And there are innumerable little dongles you can get to add a little piece of hardware; I had a perfectly functional FM transmitter for my iPhone (and it actually worked better than the one in my N900). I'm not a hardware person, and really don't give a fig about the electronics in a given device. My complaint is that, while I can do a multitude of tasks on a modern smartphone, what I cannot do is use it in the same manner as my desktop machine. That's what I'd like to do, and that's what the manufacturers explicitly forbid me from doing.
That's where I have to disagree with you. If you wish to claim that the Maemo running on the N900 is enough to be consider a "computer in your pocket" but the iPhone 5S running iOS 7.1 jailbroken is not I would like to hear your reasoning.

Just because an N900 CAN do something doesn't mean you should, editing a large photograph with GIMP under LXDE is not really plausible. Sure, it CAN do that, but by the time you got everything up and running and were 1/50th done with the image your device would be out of power. The N900 acted as my primary device just as long as any iPhone has, this isn't a matter or whipping our your phone and giving me an example of how cool and open it is due to the fact that you CAN run OpenArena (once again, not really plausible to do so) or dual boot into Android (but it is not able to receive any phone calls).

I had a Philips VELO 500 HPC a while back, it had an RJ11 jack and 28.8k modem, still found in most households, by the arguments being put forth the Philips VELO 500 HPC of days of yore is more versatile than both the N900 and iPhone because it has a built alternative connectivity option.

Here are some article I find very telling, iPhone 3GS with whatever old version of iOS vs N900, N900 wins, hands down, that's why I bought one in 2008. But times have changed:

http://thenextweb.com/2010/01/03/nok...-stabs-iphone/

http://www.starryhope.com/15-ways-no...-ways-its-not/

why are people fighting here..
every party have their own opinion!

The Following User Says Thank You to Akkumaru For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
The N900 was released at the end of 2009 btw, not in 2008.

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
I'm not for or against any os. I'm just for hacking! As I know nothing about it, I decided to see what you can do if you jailbreak an iphone. After a 2 minute search on google I found this. Apparently, an app store (free and paid apps) called Cydia is where folks go to get many apps to help mod their jailbroken iphone. Some neat stuff there.

Here are some interesting sites to see what has been done.

http://www.addictivetips.com/ios/50-...-apps-of-2012/

http://www.macworld.com/article/1152...chtermpro.html

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10-...dministrators/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Seriously. How can people be against an os????

Drop the bag and take a step back.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post: