Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Its soon ONLY one day to go to most EPIC week ever...ready, steady...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chill View Post
Thanks...I use those regularly and they are indispensable. But I am talking about the phone dialer bug, which, if you have autorotation on, sometimes freezes the phone with the Maemo blur. I can't for the life of me find the relevant thread now...Ok, it gets "fixed" by disabling autorotation. In fact, it's probably for the better, because with an autorotating dialer you might call the wrong person etc.

But then the messages database gets messed up and I have to fix it. That's a lot of fun, but sometimes I just want to send/receive messages.
The phone dialer bug has been fixed (finally!!!) on my N900 by, after swappolube, cssu thumb, and overclocking a bit to 805 mhz when finally using this transition.ini file and then rebooting! at
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83000

The auto-rotation in messages and image gallery won't function however, until you tweak that and the move around Z axis, as I did in CSSU Tuner : force auto rotation + move around Z axis. Didn't change anything else. Fastest, smoothest rotation I have had.

My phone feels faster than ios 7.

I have no complaints now for over a month. I can pick up every call in time.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dongle Fongle For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Quick reply...
Epic week? I will not get my N900 working earlier than this Friday. Because:
1. soldering the broken wires within the battery charger did not resolve the not-working problem;
1.0. attempts to solder the wires back apparently left them soldered in incorrect order; I am assuming that B+1 on the charger's board should be connected to battery's '+' and B-1 on the charger's board - to battery's '-'; but a helpful person nearby insisted on trying both possible configurations, just in case;
1.1. discharging capacitors (I am 90% sure which one is 'responsible') on the charger's board does resolve the problem (at least, temporarily; who knows when and why the capacitors may decide to get full again and the electrical circuit is no longer closed); 'problem resolved' is defined as 'blue light is on and battery charger provides electricity to USB port to charge a phone'; yes, the charger is double-function, as common, providing electricity to either battery and/or USB cable;
1.1.1. attempts to use human body as volt-ampere meter for a live (plugged-in) battery charger - yes, my fingers are sensitive to an electrical current passing through them, such as ordinary AA battery - left me with electrical shock (220V; predictable with my carelessness) and no apparent negative consequences (not even shaking hands);
1.2. the wires are broken again, this time at a different place; even more delicate soldering will be required, this time;
2. I have yet to order micro-USB port for N900, since they all look different, and I have no idea how to filter for those most similar (by shape?) to the original one;
2.1. shipping is usually awfully slow for online-bought items;
2.2. soldering micro-USB is a risky undertaking; I would like something most similar to default factory technique for attaching USB port; should it be soldering and/or epoxy? If soldering, then at what temperature? If epoxy, then what kind of epoxy? Considering the delicacy of surroundings, epoxy adhesive cured at room temperature would probably be preferable?

Best wishes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
@Wikiwide it feels like you should not try to replace the port as i believe you may put it in bad condition rather someday find someone to fix it
btw the usb can be put in place easily with some flux and a 40w fine tipped iron then maybe a gust of hot air can be used but that shoudnt be needed

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
@Wikiwide it feels like you should not try to replace the port as i believe you may put it in bad condition rather someday find someone to fix it
btw the usb can be put in place easily with some flux and a 40w fine tipped iron then maybe a gust of hot air can be used but that shouldn't be needed
Quick reply...
I have received 'no' from three different mobile phone repairers. The place with soldering irons should hopefully have somebody capable of teaching me to use it (or fixing it for me). There is one hot air, too. But micro USB is something I have to find by myself.
What kind of flux? Ah, melt-able metal. Yes, there is some.
Soldering irons available:
Yihua 852D++
Weller WESD51
There is some hot air included, too.
Best wishes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
What kind of flux? Ah, melt-able metal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flux_(metallurgy)

The meltable metal is called solder. Flux is a substance that helps the solder to flow. It acts as a cleaning agent and sometimes also lowers the solder's melting point. The best flux for electronics is rosin. You can buy it in a music shop; it is used for treating strings and bows of violins and similar instruments.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
I ..like a very tiny group here...
use my n800's and n810's daily.
And considering I use my n900 as a daily...(it being the only phone I use...tried others...didn't like)
I have decided that since I use my n900 all year long...this year I figure I'll try something different during the upcoming dust-off-the-old-n900-and-use-it-week ....I will in fact do the opposite for a change and try NOT to use my n900 and see if I can hold out for a week without using it.

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
I ..like a very tiny group here...
use my n800's and n810's daily.
And considering I use my n900 as a daily...(it being the only phone I use...tried others...didn't like)
I have decided that since I use my n900 all year long...this year I figure I'll try something different during the upcoming dust-off-the-old-n900-and-use-it-week ....I will in fact do the opposite for a change and try NOT to use my n900 and see if I can hold out for a week without using it.
Intressting idea. What will you change to? Or do you plan to live without phone for a week?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-10-05 at 05:56.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Already using it!

The Following User Says Thank You to lame For This Useful Post:
Posts: 19 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Sileby, Leicester, UK
I bought my N900 just 6 months ago and have used it ever since. Before I got it I'd only ever had Symbian devices (5230 > N8 > 808) and was a bit worried it might be rubbish, especially the resistive screen (5230 resistive screens were crap). But no, the resistive screen (even if slightly scarred) was better than any capacitive screen and I was very impressed by the amount of features, hardware and software the N900 offered but i think the best thing about it was just Maemo's openness.

Will probably be using my N900 for many years to come despite the screen being absolutely knackered and the volume rocker being broken.

Last edited by dodgevipergts; 2014-10-05 at 10:19.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dodgevipergts For This Useful Post:

Tags
maemo 5, nokia n900, supertroopers!