Active Topics

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Sounds like feedback may have been processed, and practices improved.

There has been, after all, plenty of feedback.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by stl1859 View Post
Which service center did you send it to?
When I called the Nokia hardware support number, they told me they wouldn't replace them (mind you, at the time, they were still only about three weeks old). I was told that they would give me a GREAT deal on a replacement pair for about $12 more than I'd paid for them to begin with. I didn't send them anywhere, obviously.

Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Why would the guy lie?

...and BTW, calling up complaining vs. sending it in without preconditions or negative expectations will pro'ly net different outcomes.

Perhaps that is what can be learned from his post.
I didn't say he lied.. I said it's suspicious. I would wager that it's atypical.

As for your suggestion--are you telling me that I should just box up my bluetooth headphones and ship them to Nokia without calling their hardware support line? I'm not sure that instills confidence. Besides, where would I ship it to unless I call up to complain that they're broken and I'm told where to ship it?

I would hope it's a sign of improvement, Dan.

Stranger things have happened.

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Charlotte, NC
This is a very relevant thread to a situation I am in presently...I received a 500gb NAS drive for Christmas and stupidly left it sitting on my desk while trying to figure out the right spot for it. A few days ago, I very stupidly knocked it off my desk (I mean, come on, it had no reason to be sitting on the desk when all the work on the drive is done via a browser. How stupid can I be?).

Well, the drive is clicking and not working, so I go to the manufacturer's support site, fully explain the situation, and ask if they had any insight to offer as I replaced the internal drive. I just want advice, nothing more, because I was the one who got me into this mess.

I received a response from one of their support techs, telling me that I should try to download the latest firmware and if that does not work, call their tech support line to get their take on why the drive is not working. He stated that there may be something else at fault here (other than the 2 1/2 foot fall?) and they might replace the device if it is still under warranty.

I gotta tell you, I am conflicted here.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eetimm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by danramos
I didn't say he lied.. I said it's suspicious. I would wager that it's atypical.
Sorry dude. When there are only two actors in the play and you are suspicious of the outcome, I took it to mean that you suspected the OP of fabricating that outcome.

I didn't consider that you could have meant you were suspicious that Nokia's motivation to resolve the issue in a positive way was just a subterfuge. Part of a diabolical plan the meaning of which, we can't even begin to imagine.

Or perhaps you are suspicious that the repair Nokia claims to have made wasn't really a repair at all. That maybe his screen will soon self destruct or something.

My bad.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I would hope it's a sign of improvement, Dan.

Stranger things have happened.
Ahh.. I misunderstood.. and yeah, I really hope you're right. It's been miserable before. Between the headphone incident and then the time I tried to simple order a new kickstand for the N800 (or at least try to find some way to get it fixed without having to be without my N800 for weeks and weeks.. which is unacceptable). I really hope this is an indication that they're finally taking customer service and word-of-mouth to mind.

Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Sorry dude. When there are only two actors in the play and you are suspicious of the outcome, I took it to mean that you suspected the OP of fabricating that outcome.

I didn't consider that you could have meant you were suspicious that Nokia's motivation to resolve the issue in a positive way was just a subterfuge. Part of a diabolical plan the meaning of which, we can't even begin to imagine.

Or perhaps you are suspicious that the repair Nokia claims to have made wasn't really a repair at all. That maybe his screen will soon self destruct or something.

My bad.
I think you misinterpreted one thing to misinterpret it again. I plainly pointed out that I believe his good fortune might have been atypical. He might have gotten a good rep to help him that time, whereas in most cases I've read (certainly in all of my own experiences with Nokia's service so far), Nokia's support folks haven't provided particularly good customer service experiences. Their quality hardware may sell at first but it certainly doesn't buy them any customer loyalty when the quality is negated by problems dealing with support and a lack of an effective warranty to speak for the quality of their products. I like my tablet, but the moment I see something better, I won't think twice about jumping ship since I really have nothing to lose by it.

Last edited by danramos; 2009-01-09 at 09:20.

Everybody drink!

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Normally you have your warranty from both the point where you bought the device (with whom you have a contract) as well as the manufacturer. It depends on your local laws, I suppose. If your device goes dead in warranty while you used it normal (based on the manual) then you deserve that it is fixed. They might send you the item fixed, or new. If the item is not sold anymore or they don't have in stock you should get an equivelant device worth the same price as when you bought it (at least here in my country that is the case). YMMV. Even beyond warranty you have certain expectations, and if these expectations are generally accepted in society, a court will give you the benefit of doubt. Again, at least here. But you gotta take it to court then? Do you? Most don't. The way I see it, the topic described here is how I EXPECT a corporation to treat me here. If they don't, they have a high chance of losing me as customer. A positive experience is not often heard, and often seen as zealotry or astroturfing so it is not surprising one might be suspicious however just because I understand the reason you're suspicious does not mean the OP is discredited because of your suspicion because you do not provide any proof for your assertion. You only provide a motive, not an alibi, and you don't have any rational reason to declare the OP as suspect; only based on fallacies. So you have to give the person the benefit of doubt like we normally do in society...

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Everybody drink!
Arrr, and a bottle of Somalian rum.