Closed Thread
More importantly, why does my family's TomTom GPS take forever to get a signal even when it's outside. I've literally held it up in the air as I walk outside (it was a warm summer day) and it still took a while to get a signal.

Ugh.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
Originally Posted by Omega View Post
Who cares? Does that change that it's broken out of the box? No.

I have a park near my house with open skies all around, no tall buildings. The GPS had a bloody fit as soon as I took a step.

It was defective out of the box.

My N810 is sold now (for a decent price as well), good riddance and hopefully it can make somebody with as low of standards as the others here happy.
That's terrible. You shouldn't sell stuff thats defective. I hope you gave the guy you sold it to a 15 day return policy. After all, the nice folks who sold it to YOU did.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JayOnThaBeat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post
That's terrible. You shouldn't sell stuff thats defective. I hope you gave the guy you sold it to a 15 day return policy. After all, the nice folks who sold it to YOU did.
My N810 is no different to any other one out there. It's not uniquely defective and the problems I've reported have been reported by others.

You choosing not to notice that proves nothing.

The N810's GPS is simply poorly conceived and defective *by design*. It was never meant to be used, only advertised on a box.

Which begs the question, why should I have to pay for something that won't ever work worth a damn?

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
My N810 is no different to any other one out there. It's not uniquely defective and the problems I've reported have been reported by others.
Don't fight it. You have offended a finnish god in your previous life (or just been mean to small penguins) and now you're paying for it.

PS. I also happen to have an apple BT keyboard attached to my N810. No lag problems. Sorry.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Oh, ok, we're having that kind of a contest now.

40 characters? Try using a 300 baud modem running on a Vic-20 with 3.5k user RAM and a 22 character wide display.
I really hope it's a voice-coupled modem you're talking about (hey ! I had a VIC20 as a kid !)

PS. Is it just me or is this thread turning into a Monty Python sketch ?

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Whatever it is, it's very funny with Benny Hill theme music in the background.

Tim

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Ironically, nobody has been able to conclusively refute that at release time, the N810 was unfit for the purposes it was sold for. It still stands uncontested that in a practical context, other devices outperform it and are more responsive.
A single purpose device may outperform the n810 at the task it was specifically designed to do. The point of the n810 is that it does more that a stand-alone gps receiver or an ipod touch, etc.

The reason no one conclusively refutes your claim is because no one conclusively supports it. If you're going to cite anecdotal evidence, then anyone opposing your viewpoint can, too.

Which still doesn't address the fact that you're still posting on a forum devoted to a device you no longer own.

Why I bought the N810 over them is because it was based on Linux and I was under the mistaken impression that when comparing the devices, the N810 would be able to bear the burden of it's features - which it definitely can't.
I've seen more people come on here (like yourself) and state that you can see through to my point and I appreciate that a fair bit.
You appear to live day-to-day with quite a few mistaken assumptions.

I will continue to maintain these fair standards and don't feel obligated to compromise my expectations. Especially when the responsiveness of the device in question is already outdone by devices made 6 years ago! I get a kick out of that.
Name them.

My N810 is sold now (for a decent price as well), good riddance and hopefully it can make somebody with as low of standards as the others here happy.

Nokia could crap out another lemon like the N810 (except make it hand-cranked) and they'd still sit there treating it like some exclusive religion. Or an acquired taste. It all turns into "well, the N810 for me is......."
well, the n810 for me is something that just works.

The N810 to most people who bought it is a piece of crap where OS images have been known to ship with broken repositories. The GPS is unstable indoors or out. Single-application load times are abhorrent and again, blackberries respond faster than this! Screen updates are fractured and lengthy. There were corrupted internal memory card issues. Bluetooth communication was a nightmare when I tried to hook up an Apple Bluetooth keyboard there was sometimes 1 to 2 seconds of input lag! The device until the last moment I owned it still had no real effective suspend strategy. Every time I picked the lemon up, it was flat because it never suspended - even within a day, which made me less inclined to try using it.
I'll never stop about the GPS because that was such a stillborn joke.
Most everything listed is indicative of a hardware flaw. Unfortunately and unavoidably, all consumer electronics will have a small portion of defective units.

What's more interesting to me is your comment that you'll never stop going on about the GPS? Why? I don't piss and moan about the sub-par web browsing of my Palm T|X from 5 years ago.

I paid $400 to find this out and not once did Nokia look at their product and the landslide of reviews online and say "wow, we screwed the user experience on this one, why are we selling this through mainstream channels?!"
Nor did you return the device within the allotted period. Instead, you keep it, ***** on these forums, sell it, then keep *****ing on these forums.

To be thorough, I'm far from a mainstream user,
that's unequivocally accurate.

but that doesn't mean everything I buy has to be broken. I can't think of many products where I'm going to look at it's advertised features and go "Yeah, but I won't be able to do all that, but here you go, I'll pay for it anyway!"

If I'm told a product will do something, it will do it without wasting my time and it will do it well. Period.
It's been established that you more than likely had a faulty unit. The people here have tried to help confirm. The other possibility is, in your apparent attitude of l33tness, you enabled repos or otherwise hosed the OS. Regardless, there is a discrepancy between your perceived technical prowess and reality. Are you sure I haven't seen your name on a ballot somewhere?

This whole "get a grip" attitude is a farce. I have an empty cardboard box that will fly to the moon for all you internet tabletards if you think the N810 is fit for purpose.
Get a grip. I'll fill that box for ya.

Last edited by dick-richardson; 2009-04-03 at 13:56.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dick-richardson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 77 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Charlotte, NC

You choosing not to notice that proves nothing.

The N810's GPS is simply poorly conceived and defective *by design*. It was never meant to be used, only advertised on a box.

Which begs the question, why should I have to pay for something that won't ever work worth a damn?
What? Are you still moping around here?

You sold your N810, you told us all that we are in a near religious denial about our tablets, and we told you that we think the ITT is a wonderful device.

Why have you not gone away? This horse you are beating has been dead for a long time.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eetimm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
OK, who added the good tags to this thread?

I admit to "dick-size contest" and "n810 doesn't give head":
Attached Images

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Omega, why you are still trolling your thread. The N810 works and is not "totally useless", I have used the GPS outside in a car for a long road trip to Virginia from NY. I have a ThinkOutside bluetooth keyboard that works for taking notes EVERYDAY in meetings and lectures, I use the video chat over 3g weekly. I surf the internet MUCH faster than my E71 smartphone using Tear a webkit browser that was a one click install from Qole's repository on a freshly flashed tablet.

All these are thing you say don't work, why do they work for me? There is no hacking involved these are all standard installations.

You had a defective unit and did not return it, that is the issue you seem to refuse to accept.

The Following User Says Thank You to mobiledivide For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
n810 is a ripoff, n900 is useless, nokia ripoff, not as advertised, paid too much, unresponsive