Active Topics

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
It's an HSDPA modem. It connects to the nearest HSDPA base station. I don't know if it can fall back to GPRS or not, but I'd expect so.
still. it needs its own subscribtion? or sim card? provider?

Of course.

Edit: Just realized you're perhaps not asking if you need a provider, but what provider. You could PM eluis or michalpelszyk for info on that.

Last edited by Benson; 2008-07-10 at 18:13.

sounds like it for high volume data users..

could you please provide a detailed tutorial on how to get this working please?

I have managed to get the modem detected by the N800 (os2008) it's on Bus ID:

19d2:0001.

Now I just need switch to modem mode and use a dialler please help me.

Thanks.

With that ID it's already in modem mode, just make sure the serial driver is fired up and understands the id and you should get a ttyUSB0 with any luck.

Edit: the dial string and login info rather depends on your provider. 3 UK were happy to provide that info to me, so you may be in luck with them. I have been successful using 3 with gentoo on my laptop, but have the sim in a phone via bluetooth for N800 access.

Last edited by andrewl_oz; 2008-09-10 at 12:33.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Have you tried the Linux 3G howtos?

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
If someone gets this, or any other 3G modem (particularly any of AT&T's), I'd love to hear about it. Being able to hook one of these up to my N800, and then (hopefully) put the wifi interface into an access point mode, would be very nice. I'd have my own fully featured version of a cradlepoint router :-)

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Austria
I got the 3G Modem I have working: It's a Huawei HSDPA modem: http://scratchpost.dreamhosters.com/...ia_N8x0/Modem/

It's not that hard, although you need an external battery to provide power to the modem and that's why I almost never use it on the go (too much to carry).

The Following User Says Thank You to dannym For This Useful Post:
Posts: 131 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Spain
Hi danny,

Thanks for your info, and the web address you posted was incorrect, the correct one:
http://scratchpost.dreamhosters.com/...ia/N8x0/Modem/

The mistake was the character "_" where should be "/"

I will try with my huawei e220.

Originally Posted by dannym View Post
I got the 3G Modem I have working: It's a Huawei HSDPA modem: http://scratchpost.dreamhosters.com/...ia_N8x0/Modem/

It's not that hard, although you need an external battery to provide power to the modem and that's why I almost never use it on the go (too much to carry).

Wouldn't a mifi be easer it a dongle that has built in WiFi