Posts: 449 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Eureka, CA
Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post
@Brendan and Mara,

By all means write them. They do read the emails and sometimes this forum.
To what email address should we write? I hope that they fix the ridiculous way BT devices are handled. <rant> As has been mentioned elsewhere - it is silly that you have to go to the control panel and go three levels into the BT app to connect a KB - even if you don't use the KB for a few minutes! This is especially silly when you consider that the BT plugin on the 770 would automatically connect just by turning the KB on and hitting a few keys! </rant>

good news otherwise...

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I get the idea that the new firmware is more plan than action at this point. I have access to pre-release versions and there is nothing available after the 10-7 OS.

Additionally, I think there should be a big focus on getting Cell Network access working native to the device.
BT is nice if you can get it working properly on your phone but... now you have two devices to carry around. (and keep charged.)
BT seems to be a pretty big drag on the battery's as well.

I checked out some of the USB - CDMA and GPRS data access devices which appear might work if USB host mode can be made to work properly.
The USB devices I looked at are accessed as a Serial device once connectivity is available.
Certainly a powered hub or USB power injector might required to get the amperage high enough for usage.
I was looking at the N800 device itself, picturing a replacement back cover, as it appears there could be available space for a 2nd battery that could align with the existing battery contacts and a mount for a USB Cell Data modem.
The previous assumes that it might be possible to add a second battery in parallel to the existing.
I don't know that the charger could handle simultaneous charging however, (though the voltage would be the same.)
Even if the back plate only allowed for the additional battery, the data connectivity option could be dongled to a custom protector case. perhaps even Sype branded? Once skpe is reliable and you have Cell Network data access.. Who needs a Cell Company phone number?

I felt that the N800 got the value added I wanted when I was finally able to get consistent always on access tot he Internet for Communications. IM, Email, Gizmo, NewsFeeds, Video and Music on Demand. This is the market that is being pushed in the US by the phone providers with their phones that have terribly inadequate displays and input keys. And the customers are willing to pay extra for access to all this always available digitally connected environment. The one thing MOST are not willing to do is carry two bulky device's. The data device and one extra interface (such as BT earpiece) is about as much as most will carry, (at least until the RoboCop look comes into fashion.
In this respect the N800 is far ahead of the rest of the pack.. The only thing it's missing is the integrated always available connection.

For information I dug up on USB Cell Network access, see
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ead.php?t=5597

Last edited by DryLand404; 2007-04-05 at 17:04.

I just wish they would make a SIP client availible. Gizmo doesn't really cut it since it still needs to go through the Gizmo network.

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
@DryLand404,

Good point but what allowed the N800 to come to market so fast is that it did not have to get FCC approval. Not having a radio sped up time to market. Nokia is well aware that users of the N800 will have to carry two devices but this is the perceived trade-off. Personally I do not mind having my E-61 (soon to be E-61i when released) and my N800. It is not a burden for me at all but some people, understandably so would prefer only one device.

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by Lithorus View Post
I just wish they would make a SIP client availible. Gizmo doesn't really cut it since it still needs to go through the Gizmo network.
I agree 100%. I am not really impressed with the Gizmo service. The tech support, a guy named Jeff, is great and helpful but he is only one person.

The USB devices mentioned are already FCC approved. and the manufacturers support Linux even if the Cell providers do not. Within the links there is a script for connecting as a serial modem in Ubuntu.
All that is really needed is adequate power (Mini powered USB hub? or Power Injector?) and a functional USB host mode, plus I would guess a standard serial modem driver compiled for Deb ARM.
A replacement back plate with RF protection might be nice considering the transmit wattage were talking about.

For me, since Skype is so slick, If I had Cell Data access only I wouldn't need the personal cell phone other than the N800. Also I would prefer to give the cell company's as little as possible.
http://www.newnetworks.com/BroadbandScandalIntro.htm

Last edited by DryLand404; 2007-04-05 at 18:20.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
FYI, the N800 does have radio (wifi, bluetooth and FM) and did require FCC approval. Everyone who was here for the leaks remembers.

Posts: 70 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Nantes (France)
Originally Posted by Lithorus View Post
FYI Gizmo let you use any SIP account through the second account facility, which is quite useful. My ISP (see free.fr) provides me with a free SIP account with which I can call any landline for free nearly all over the world :-) And I can also be called from any "normal" phone. Cool :-)
http://blog.lmartin.fr

Posts: 186 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Canada
Any webpages or dates you can give us on when the new fw and skype will be released.