Active Topics

Posts: 82 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK, England
Hi there,

I was wandering if anyone else thinks that a Multitouch Touch Screen would be a good feature of the N900. If anyone could create it or implement it into thier kernels with out upsetting any apps etc..?

I'd be happy to do some testing, I know it's probably not a wide used feature in a lot of App's/Games atm but that's only because we haven't got it to use it if you get what I mean.

Think about it for a second, 4 home screens sliding x <-- --> x

What about pulling them apart as a feature and the new screen pops up behined it. I.e take a snapshot then tear image then produce new home screen. I just think there are loads of cool things we could do with it. I have more Ideas too. Another one would be to use in game for the palm pre and android etc. We are reduced to what we can some with some of the thing's other phones can do.

No biggy. I suppose I'll see how this goes and if it's just me that thinks of this or others too

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 498 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Poland
But the screen doesn't support multitouch, so how would that work?

the n900 can't have multitouch due to hardware limitation .
however , fake multitouch is possible , you touch the screen at one point and then touch it at another point , the position of the second point can be calculated , given the first point remains staitionary .
example : for pinch zoom , you keep one finger stationary and move the other finger away from it , but if you move both fingers , nothing will be detected , the screen reports the average position of all points it's touched at , so moving 2 fingers away , the screen will return the same point (no motion detected)

anyways , this fake multitouch isn't used in any applications on the n900 , except maybe a demo of the idea on youtube.

Resistive touchscreens doesnt support multitouch by hardware for now. But, software multitouch could be created which doesnt work as good as hardward support.

Check this link that shows a multi touch game for the resitive sceen on the Nokia 5800.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/03/h...nt-fix-3g-rec/

Originally Posted by ivyking View Post
the n900 can't have multitouch due to hardware limitation .
however , fake multitouch is possible , you touch the screen at one point and then touch it at another point , the position of the second point can be calculated , given the first point remains staitionary .
example : for pinch zoom , you keep one finger stationary and move the other finger away from it , but if you move both fingers , nothing will be detected , the screen reports the average position of all points it's touched at , so moving 2 fingers away , the screen will return the same point (no motion detected)

anyways , this fake multitouch isn't used in any applications on the n900 , except maybe a demo of the idea on youtube.
Ahh well it was worth the thought. I wasn't to sure if that would be able to but looks like we can't. As for apps/games i've seen quite a few games on the TV that are advertise and its your thumbs using the controls onscreen. Saying all that I suppsode you could re-map them to the keyboard.

Last edited by Kamen; 2010-11-23 at 10:58. Reason: Saw another comment.

Originally Posted by allwise View Post
Resistive touchscreens doesnt support multitouch by hardware for now. But, software multitouch could be created which doesnt work as good as hardward support.
Untill i saw the 5800.
Would that be able to be implemented as a background process on the Maemo OS do you think?

Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
lcuk did implement fake multitouch in liqbase a long time ago: liqbase fake multitouch

There was also another multi-touch game post (fake multitouch, by having stationary buttons and calculate the button presses based on the position of the "combined" point) on Planet Maemo some months ago, but I can't find the link right now.

The Following User Says Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kamen View Post
Untill i saw the 5800.
Would that be able to be implemented as a background process on the Maemo OS do you think?
I assume you're talking of the GH-like game?

Yes, a background process certainly could assume all presses are in 4 carefully-selected (to remove ambiguity) positions and resolve them accordingly -- but why in the world you would want that I don't know. It's clever, to be sure, but it's not general-purpose.

How hard is it to understand that the single pressure-weighted average of n touch locations (exactly what a standard resistive screen measures) contains less information than a list of each position? You can't just summon the missing data from nowhere!

Last edited by Benson; 2010-11-23 at 23:10.

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
How hard is it to understand that the single pressure-weighted average of [i]n[i] touch locations (exactly what a standard resistive screen measures) contains less information than a list of each position? You can't just summon the missing data from nowhere!
"My" main reason for this feature is so i can play game's that are usng the palm emulator" Some other thing's I have seen to. Also when I'm tapping away on screen my thumbs move pretty danm fast, sometimes too fast for the phone to keep up with. Saying all that Now that I've fine tuned this bad boy it's keeping up spot on. Getting back on track now.

Another interesting question would be is. How would the phone react to tapping multipul thing's at the same time, it's just like having 2 mice plugged into the the same desktop. Surely the'd be fighting eatch other the way they do now? Sometime when you need to take down a not quickly or using the uKeyboard you kind of double tap and then the phone spazs out. I beleive that could sort that problem.

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bracknell, UK
Would be nice. Hugging(multitouch) is always better than slapping(singletouch)..Isnt it?

Tags
failthread, got search?, hardware limit, search much?