Active Topics

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
who in this thread don’t have a n9?
I wont havwe it atleast until the 30th of october

The Following User Says Thank You to Zoxir For This Useful Post:
@Jalyst

Ok. Let me describe to you what I see from my angle:

He summed up in two sentences what you can expect from people, and suggested what you could do if you wanted things done your way.
Not wrapping things in cotton is a common programmer trait. We're used to expressing thing in short concise computer languages with a strict syntax and literal interpretation, and no unnessesary fluff. I guess some of us bring that into our regular language. (Me included)
That guy even littered his post with smilies to "soften" it.

So what can you do?

Using myself as an example: I'm a programmer. When at work I'm paid to program what other people want, and if I want to do stuff my way I have to "sell" the idea to my bosses.
If and when I have the energy to program anything on my spare time you can be sure I'm going to put the effort where I want it. I'll essentially be making my program with a target audience of one.

Asking people to use their time to work on what you think is important, instead of what they want, simply isn't going to work, no matter how politely you do it.

Now there are a few things you as a non-programmer can do the get me to do what you want:
1: Convince me that a program/feature will be useful to me
2: Convince me that a program/feature is "cool" and will increase my status, or some other non.
3: Offer to do the boring parts of the job (that would be the "lead the consolidation effort" bit, among other things)
4: Convince me that it poses an interesting challenge. (Programmers love interesting challenges, try walking up to one and then claim something can't be done)
5: Offer me something in return. N950, Money, Dinner, Beer, Date with your hot sister.
6: Offer to do the boring parts of the job (this is worth repeating, but we may have very different ideas about what is boring)

Now you seem like a passionate guy with a lot of ideas. So if you start up a thread with suggestions for small programs (app is a bad word) that could be cool/useful/interesting I'll be sure to read it. And once I have found time to make a program to fix one tiny annoyance I have with the N9 I might pick one of the suggestions. (And you get to do the marketing if you like cause that's one of the boring parts)

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Vaskinn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
@jaylist
Also remember that for a dev behind a project, asking to merge projects or join effort to a project is an implicit public call for him to drop his project. This hurt sensitivities and lead to defensive answers.
For an example of that, see what happens on TMO when anybody says "let's stop contributing to [MeeGo|Maemo] and focus on [Maemo|MeeGo|Tizen]!".
Consider that when you judge his contribution as hostile and trolling

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Vaskinn View Post
@Jalyst
He summed up in two sentences what you can expect from people, and suggested what you could do if you wanted things done your way.
Except that isn't what he did at all...
It was a personal attack, plain & simple.
Wrapping it as "programmar speak" doesn't cut it, sorry.
Why do you asume I'm a "non-programmar" right off the bat?

I am not a programmar*, not being a programmar however...
Does not in any way make my ideas/opinions any less valid.
Not being a programmar, does not make me any less intelligent.

When I make a post like that....
It's not done with some kind of expectation that this is what must happen.
It's a benign idea, that doesn't need the kind of interjection that sprung up.

You've made a very well constructed post beyond that though.
So I will keep some of your suggestions in mind.

*I was in a former life, but many years ago, & only for a brief period.
And I do have a experienced & technical (among other fields) background.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-10-14 at 20:08.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by sony123 View Post
Sounds like the launch delay was because of hw issue.....

Off topic but I totally agree with Kontorri, I think it would be fantastic to combine Harmattan's swipe ux for home screen/task switcher + WP7's panorama app view....
yeah they had to remove BT4.0 and some other HW and include it to WP instead : @

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
List of official N9 distribution has been adjusted, Greece cancelled, so you may stop waiting and start importing.

http://mynokiablog.com/2011/10/13/mo...-list-updated/

I am getting 64GB N9 from Bangkok soon (cheapest price and found a contact that will carry it in, never mind warranty - I trust Nokia quality and street repair shop skills )
yep Microsoft will sponsor Greek with WP phones for free instead

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
@jaylist
Also remember that for a dev behind a project, asking to merge projects or join effort to a project is an implicit public call for him to drop his project. This hurt sensitivities and lead to defensive answers.
For an example of that, see what happens on TMO when anybody says "let's stop contributing to [MeeGo|Maemo] and focus on [Maemo|MeeGo|Tizen]!".
Consider that when you judge his contribution as hostile and trolling
That's a good point. I can appreciate that.
If that's what motivated the tone of his response, it would've been good if he was clearer.
I'm not entirely sure if it was though, we'll never know.
Anyway lets get off this....

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-10-14 at 18:25.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
" Originally Posted by smegheadz
with forums there's lots of personalities and people in general believe they are correct. the majority of us will act on here as we do in person (mostly)but there will be people who use these tech forums to feel superior, to outshine someone with their abilities of either technical skills, whit, spelling or ability to quote things that sound clever."

#idonthavethefactstobackthisupbut

This is Elop being congratulated for keeping the N9 out of the US and UK.

Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
Where are the lines for N9, while everywhere people are lining up for iphone 4s????

Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
forgot the link:

this is how you drum up a product!

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/14/tech/m...html?hpt=hp_c2

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????