Active Topics

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Pot. Kettle.

abill_uk, I kindly request that you relax a bit and let the folks do some discussion about what options are available, not about what's a mess, or what you see.

Keep this up, you're adding to the problems, not assisting. You cannot learn when all you're doing is responding.

Pull back. Please. Even if for just a couple of days.
Point taken gerbick and out of respect i will do what you just said.

One point i want to make though is that many asked where the poll was going to get Nokia to release the code and i say a poll presented from joe bloggs will have far less impact than that of a representation from Maemo.org.

Originally Posted by Acidspunk View Post
Oh please! Abill was criticising the CSSU and he DID NOT not want to KNOW WHAT IT WAS. He argues just for the sake of arguing.
OK now .

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Back from a four day trip. Ironically, those people who have talked in the interim about the inattention, etc., of council are the same ones who make reading the thread extra work for council and others. Anyway here are a few nuggets for me amongst the noise -

Originally Posted by smoku View Post
The difference to Debian, Angstrom etc. communities is, that they are focused on the software and are working on the software. The hardware is only a mean to run the software and they embrace and welcome every single one able to.

This community is focusing on hardware. The software (Maemo OS) is only a mean to enable the hardware, which noone really cares of and accepts whatever the manufacturer of the device throws at.
With the presence of new hardware, the older hardware is abandoned en-masse.
With the absence of hardware, the community is dying or jumping ships.

Without changing the focus, this community won't survive.
I agree it is bad for the community to cycle their attention according to the hw models. We should focus on the continuation of (maemo-based or maemo-derived) open source software as an alternative for those who want it.

Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
So, with the topic being the future of *.maemo.org (and as lma noted, maemo.org is far more than just another vBulletin instance), there are two concerns:
  • What do we do about funding, infrastructure, resourcing of the websites & services on maemo.org?
  • What are the possible futures of Maemo, and how can we achieve them?

Saying "the Council needs to lead us" is entirely missing the point. Someone needs to come up with concrete, viable proposals which can be discussed. The council can assist with the publication and collaboration of that, as - I'm sure - anyone vested in Maemo will also publicise.

Once there is a popular, actionable plan for either of these two items, the council's power is to say "this is the roadmap" and then assist with the publication and collaboration of that, as - I'm sure - anyone vested in Maemo will also publicise.

The big "but" is, as smoku alluded to, no-one has come forward with a plan, nor even a plan to have a plan. It's unrealistic to expect five volunteers to be super CEOs of an amorphous, unruly and - if this, and so many other, threads are anything to go by - increasingly ungrateful mob.

The sad fact is that there may not be an ultimate end-game beyond "let's move to COBS for autobuilder, consolidate and reduce infrastructure costs as much as possible; have funding drives; introduce adverts and assist the CSSU as much as possible". That's still a lot of work, a lot of planning, and a lot of coordination. Who's volunteering to do it?
I have to humbly suggest that the community has been led by several recent council postings to the mindset that we need to prepare for the future and most likely be self-sustaining even though the point of independence is approx. one year away. There can be no plan in a community governed community until there is agreement in the community. This and other recent threads were important hurdles for the community. Step back and compare the attention to the community aspects and future planning today to where we were one year ago. I think we have reached the point, even though there may not yet be agreement on what the plan should be, where the community is ready to move forward. Although criticized for inaction, it is appropriate that this step has been taken without a declaration by council.

No doubt five council members can't be expected to initiate and manage everything that needs to be done. We need people to lend their skills to the community - volunteer to manage the repos, etc. Council can only address the framework of things.

Originally Posted by AlMehdi View Post
A new leader body could be chosen for the task. An election could even be held and administrated here at TMO with the help of the council. This election would also need some charts (rules) on how the board/organization should operate and how the board later will be replaced annually. The main obstacle here would be legal issues. This would need more than one enthusiast and preferable from the same country. Funding would rely on those enthusiast and their intentions. Trust could become an issue here. They would need to register as an organization in their country. This is also how the councils mandate could be extended. But this would mean that an re-election should be held for the council as the current members did not sign up for this.

The best and democratic solution in my mind would be a leader board but which would also be the most difficult to accomplice. It would need the most work. It would mean more than one need commitment and has enough trust from the rest of us. It would need someone to take the initial plunch and be extra committed. A very unlikely scenario in other word.

The easiest way would be if someone registered a domain and then let everyone pinch in. Growing it gradually. Managing a repository would not be too demanding. The rest of the services could though. Like the auto builder. It would be a lot of work initially. This could build and eventually become a leader board and body.

Another obstacle is hardware. If we can't find new hardware to exist on this is futile. I think the Cordia project are interesting in this regard. It shows that parts of Maemo is not locked to one device. It might be possible to put Maemo on an Adroid or WebOS device too. But is it worth it? Well, that question is something someone need to decide upon and then go to work. Without that person this discussion is pointless. Someone need to step up and take the lead.
Perhaps we become the Maemo Foundation or similar. A decision as important as this needs an election. We will have one in about a month or so. The community will decide what it needs to do. A change in organizational structure and role of Council will probably be part of the decision. The community will probably also have to decide its general mission and activities.

For me, I think the mission should be to foster support of maemo-based or derived OSS for cellphones and tablets. The initial focus should be the CSSU and Cordia, but retain flexibility to work with MeeGo project and/or apps.formeego.org if doing so help accomplishes the mission. Hopefully, these things will be debated in the context of the election.

Council is scheduled to have a meeting with Nokia tomorrow. Will be back after that.

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Good to read your post SD69 and as much as i want to comment i am going to hold back untill you inform everyone what happened at this scheduled meeting tomorrow with Nokia.

Ah i forgot to mention that i started an ipetition and a thread regarding this on this community, as this is probably the best kind of petition that can be held i am suggesting the community uses this petition in any way it can be of use.

I am making a formal request to the commitee that they push this ipetition as much as possible for obvious reasons, even though i have started it does not matter what matters is the amount of signatures that can be collected.

Could i have an answer on this please?.

Posts: 370 | Thanked: 443 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Italy
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
No doubt five council members can't be expected to initiate and manage everything that needs to be done. We need people to lend their skills to the community - volunteer to manage the repos, etc. Council can only address the framework of things.

Perhaps we become the Maemo Foundation or similar. A decision as important as this needs an election. We will have one in about a month or so. The community will decide what it needs to do. A change in organizational structure and role of Council will probably be part of the decision. The community will probably also have to decide its general mission and activities.

For me, I think the mission should be to foster support of maemo-based or derived OSS for cellphones and tablets. The initial focus should be the CSSU and Cordia, but retain flexibility to work with MeeGo project and/or apps.formeego.org if doing so help accomplishes the mission. Hopefully, these things will be debated in the context of the election.
SD69, great post and great summary about what we are going to face in incoming months. It is not simple to explain thoughts in a foreign language, but I'll try it anyway.
My questions are: who are we? What does we want?
I second your opinion that our mission should be
to foster support of maemo-based or derived OSS for cellphones and tablets
If the goal is clear we could have a (little) chance to achieve it, otherwise no way. We already lost some great talented people (qwerty12, smoku...), but we still have lot of them (joerg_rw, shadowjk, mohammadag and many many more). I personally have no skills to steer such a project but I am ready to contribute as much as I can, both from an economical and/or working point of view, and I think this forum consist of a lot of people with some sentiments as mine.
What is needed now is some persons defining the most important steps to take now. If those are persons with a background in people organization and software engineering, better.
It won't be simple, and immediately a lot of questions arise to my mind which I am not able to reply to: deb vs rpm, gtk vs qt, maemo vs meego...
In the end my personal goal is to continue to use electronic gadgets that BELONGS TO ME and not to the corp. that are selling them. I hate to throw away working items, I hate to squander what life and mother Earth gives us, those are my principles, l am not a lemon to squeeze until it has some juice. I for one am very interested in Smoku idea for a "free" tablet also from an HW point of view.
But we cannot forget we live in a real world and compromises are part of that, we cannot live only following ideals.

Every long walk start with a small first step, a lot had already been done, it's time to start walking alone. IMHO We need:
- a name (if Nokia does not resign to every future right on Maemo)
- a goal/goals
- a path
- all of our enthusiasm and skills
- money

Phew!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jurop88 For This Useful Post:
Just for clarification, we haven't lost Smoku. Unless someone never tried something bigger than psx emulation
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Just for clarification, we haven't lost Smoku. Unless someone never tried something bigger than psx emulation
o0 smoku's gone bro!

Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
o0 smoku's gone bro!
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=303

Really?

(I recommend reading rest of the thread too, at least, after mentioned post.)
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 370 | Thanked: 443 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Italy
But if I understood correctly, a Cordiatab (in which I am interested in) should be meego+Hildon UI. Am I wrong?

Tags
goodbye nokia, maemo.org, troll party, winding down