Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
who will pay for the Maemo.org infrastructure in a year?
Well if Microsoft money does it will be quite ironic

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
MeeGo must go down the drain.
And why is that? Seriously.

WP + Nokia = cool ecosystem, cool devices, cool OS for high end, future proof.
But... Zune Marketplace isn't everywhere Nokia sells devices. So, how will people have access to this cool ecosystem when it's not even native in their language, locale or even with content?

Huge gap right there for Microsoft.

Harmattan = question mark, but will provide synergy with Symbian.
That's what needs to have plans set up around it... and Elop just ain't doing it.

My point is this: WP is high end and it will take several years before WP is pushed down to mid end (as stated by Elop).
I have an WP7 phone. The OS, the ecosystem, the way it integrates into my active lifestyle... it's not high end. In fact, it's a feature phone at best.

And I'm being kind by saying that. Let's be realistic for a moment... saying it is high end, selling it at high end, and ultimately selling it at all have been three things that have yet to happen convincingly in regards to WP7.

And if you say "Oh, but you bought one..." it's because it's my job to evaluate new OS's to see how viable of a solution it is. I've already passed on WP7.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Ok take this anecdotal evidence with a grain of salt but I was hanging with a NYC MS exec last night (he was in a private meeting with Balmer today) and he basically told me that Elop is looking out for MS interests (he is not a trojan horse per se) but they will not buy Nokia. The deal they signed has Nokia locked in for years with WP7 as their 'primary smartphone' platform and they will give Nokia engineering and marketing support.
MS want Nokia to be successful so the stock price drop has been quite a shock to the company they were not expecting it. Essentially the deal is structured as such that literally there is no need to buy them.
He also dished on Skype which is going to be integrated into every MS product. They are working on integrating it into Lync, Live messenger and Xbox live.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mobiledivide For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick
I have an WP7 phone. The OS, the ecosystem, the way it integrates into my active lifestyle... it's not high end. In fact, it's a feature phone at best.

And I'm being kind by saying that. Let's be realistic for a moment... saying it is high end, selling it at high end, and ultimately selling it at all have been three things that have yet to happen convincingly in regards to WP7.
Dude, get with the times, if the OS is running on a 1GHz CPU it must be high end.

[...]

What we have is:
[...]
future proof according to whom?
Steve Jobs?
Eric Schmidt?

do you really expect Apple & Google to roll belly up & let m$ (& NOKIA, but NOKIA is really only a bystander then) take over the market?
right now, even RIM fares better then m$

Last edited by misterc; 2011-07-08 at 21:25.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
future proof according to whom?
Steve Jobs?
Eric Schmidt?

do you really expect Apple & Google to role belly up & let m$ (& NOKIA, but NOKIA is really only a bystander then) take over the market?
right now, even RIM fares better then m$
I suggest you stop replying to Ericsson, he is definitely a Microsoft bot.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patlak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by patlak View Post
Dude, get with the times, if the OS is running on a 1GHz CPU it must be high end.
naaaa,
if you had to pay hundreds of bucks to get it, it IS high-end, even on a 166Mhz pentium

the problem w/ m$ software is that no matter how powerful the CPU is, it is always too slow :|

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
MeeGo must go down the drain. Symbian will never be developed fast enough for high end devices to compete with twin core 1.5 GHz android slabs, WP will. Therefore a change of direction is needed, and has been effectuated.

What we have is:
Symbian + Nokia = cool OS subcontracted to accenture, cool devices. Uncertain future, but as long as there is demand and WP isn't pushed down to lower end...
Harmattan = question mark, but will provide synergy with Symbian.
S40 = Future proof, cheap devices, web apps, next billion and so on.

My point is this: WP is high end and it will take several years before WP is pushed down to mid end (as stated by Elop). Therefore, nothing is better for Nokia right now, than Symbian doing well. I'm happy, my E6 is happy.
Apart from you who actually thinks anything around WP7 is actually "cool"? Of all the OS's it is probably the least "cool" at present and Nokia seems to be becoming just as uncool as well.

As far as Symbian is concerned if it is the best for Nokia at present why as Elop tried to destroy it with his burning platform memo? If he had just suggested WP7 would replace meego in the high end devices Symbian devices would have kept selling, even if Elop did eventually intend moving over to S40 for these devices.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to droitwichgas For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by patlak View Post
I suggest you stop replying to Ericsson, he is definitely a Microsoft bot.
it's more for the fun to see him contradict himself every other post then anything else.
he is like a hunted down rabbit jumping from one side to the other, desperate to escape...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
naaaa,
if you had to pay hundreds of bucks to get it, it IS high-end, even on a 166Mhz pentium

the problem w/ m$ software is that no matter how powerful the CPU is, it is always too slow :|
It works both ways for today's generation, it must be expensive and also running on a 1 GHz at least. Below that it's just a dumb phone, like they even care if it has copy/paste. Is it me or have people gotten dumber since the iPhone launch

The Following User Says Thank You to patlak For This Useful Post:

Tags
balmer was here, e6 rox, elop rox, elop snopp, elop's fool, the elop flop