http://www.raiden.net/articles/why_m...ve_yet_to_soar

A little editorial I did talking about why the MiD market is stalled and when it will truly take off. Comments welcome.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Raiden For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
I would say that you appear to make the same potential fallacy that i see a lot of when its about netbooks, mids and smartphones.

ts that thinking a os's "fullness" stems from where it was first used. As in, a os has to have its roots on a desktop or laptop to be "full"...

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Alexandria, VA, USA
From what I've observed, most MIDs are too big, too expensive, too fiddley, and have short battery life. MIDs won't take off until you can easily carry one in your pocket, buy one for less than the price of a cheap laptop, use it without knowing how to use a computer, and count on the battery to last all day. It'll help if the MIDs have mobile broadband and aren't locked to a single carrier.

By this standard, even our beloved NITs fail, alas.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to talmage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 9 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ australia
is the ipod touch classed as a MID?
I would class that as a success, it appeals to both young and old, my son has one, my wifes friends have them, all for different reasons, all love them.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by talmage View Post
By this standard, even our beloved NITs fail, alas.
What points do they fail ? Only perhaps the 'use without knowing how to use a computer', but that point is somewhat moot as it IS a computer (i.e. you could have the same expectation with a netbook). The are cheaper now than netbooks, pocketable, and the battery does last all day with generic use (sorry, watching 10+ hours of video daily is not normal, not for a device, nor for the person doing it).

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barbados
I'm not sure the definition of a MID is the same for talmage as some others here. Which may be the problem with his post.

Originally Posted by tso View Post
I would say that you appear to make the same potential fallacy that i see a lot of when its about netbooks, mids and smartphones.

ts that thinking a os's "fullness" stems from where it was first used. As in, a os has to have its roots on a desktop or laptop to be "full"...
Fullness is relative and most new users see it that way whereas more seasoned users don't. I tend to write from the new users perspective since that's my majority audience,

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Alexandria, VA, USA
Originally Posted by dbec10 View Post
I'm not sure the definition of a MID is the same for talmage as some others here. Which may be the problem with his post.
Maybe so. Judging from what's available at Dynamism.com, most MIDs are hand sized but not pocket sized. Dynamism includes some devices that other people might call UMPCs. Obviously, our NITs are smaller but I still say they are too big. I want to take my N800 with me all of the time but it doesn't fit into all of my pants pockets. If I'm wearing tight jeans, I have to bring along a napsack or messenger bag or a jacket if I want my N800, whereas my dumb Motorola V195s flip phone fits in any pants pocket. I could try slipping the N800 into my hip pocket but then I have to worry about breaking the screen when I sit down.

For price, the MIDs at Dynamism start at $599 and go up to $2199. Even allowing for the Dynamism early-adopter premium, that's a lot of money! When the N800 first came out, it was about $399, which is at the low end of the prices for MIDs. However, people know that they can buy a netbook or a low end laptop for that price and that makes the MID seem expensive.

People like us are used to fiddling with our toys. When I got my N800, I really believed that it was Ready For Prime Time (TM), that I could give it to my 80-year-old father and he would be able to use it and it would always work for him. I was almost right. There are little things that would bug my Dad. He wouldn't have the patience for the web browser when it encounters a web site that doesn't like it (Facebook, I'm talking about you). He probably wouldn't like having to download Pidgin because the built-in IM client only works with XMPP-based services like Google Talk. He certainly wouldn't have the patience to install RTComm beta. He'd get fed up with metalayer crawler sucking up the CPU whenever it wanted to. You all would generously offer to help him if he found his way here and we'd both be grateful for that but a consumer device ought to work without a support group. Now, to be fair to the NITs, Dad would like a lot of the applications that we have and he'd probably try a bunch of them. He'd love AisleRot Solitaire.

I might concede the point about battery life. If you leave the N800 in offline mode, the battery lasts for days. Once you turn on the WIFI, the battery has only hours. Compare that to most mobile phones. You can leave the things on for days and talk for eight or more hours. MIDs have to compete with that. MIDs need all-day WIFI.

DIGITIMES a different opinion of why MIDs are failing. It blames the economy and 3G.

The Following User Says Thank You to talmage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 283 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ US Air Force
Hey everyone,

I hope I'm not speaking out of turn since I dnt have my n810 as of yet (its on its way in the mail) but i do wish to make some points that i hope wont offend anyone here (seeing how much i love this community and site for the comradery). I totally understand Raiden's point coming from a "new user perspective" but before i caught on to what a MID was i'm not so sure that article would have really help open up my eye's to persuade me to think it will ever really take off for new users/ consumers because like you said they start to wonder why it doesn't have cellular capabilities like a phone, and over look the main point of it. I know it wasn't meant to make people want MIDs or see the error in their mis judgment, but i'm just speaking from a consumer point of view as well as a gadget lovers. Its so easy for me to sit back and say how great i think the Nokia Tablets are especially the N810, I would never guess I would be so infatuated with this device after I seen it and "read into it"... I was shopping around for a device non-the less, that could do podcast, and store and play videos when i'm commuting, or just on the go where ever and have time to kill. i wasn't in the market for an iPod per say since i had a nano 3rd gen and use it a lot at the gym, and knew it was great for something small that doesn't get in my way while working out so needless to say i wasn't replacing "it". but the next device had to pick up where that left off in terms of doing what it does and then some ( having a bigger screen and such). Well since music wasn't necessarily my focal point I knew that i didnt have to have a ridiculous amount of storage but my growning addiction for podcast was enough to wipe that notion away along with the need for videos. then I thought, well why not get something that can surf the web with as well, so I turned to the iPod touch since its the most well know/advertised device in that category, "to consumers", but the price did more then make me flinch it deterred me from getting it greatly. Among other things I didn't like to have to deal with a touch screen only device, since now I was also interested in having the internet as well to add to this Repertoire of features. Having owned an iPhone before I wasn't all that impressed despite the intuitive UI and ease of use for non-techies it was just another phone to me ( coming from some one who has had more then 20 in a years time) cute but not what every one makes it out to be. so after catching wind of the Nokia n810 I was enthralled and thought {wow this is it}, I did my research (tons of youtube videos trying to see this thing in action) and "after the initial eye catching review" I found my way here and was hooked ever since.

Sorry but I had to give you a back story (which is how you can tell I"m a newbie, we love blabbing on about stuff lol especially how we came to love the NIT's) to maybe shed some light on how new users find out about MIDs and their frame of mind before they are hip to them. I had dozens of smart phones and back then wouldnt have minded to have a MID but I was unaware of these great device and how well they help keep you "pluged in" coming from a gadget lover... cell phones aside what else can compete with the size of the n810 that has more functionality, its not the top of the line but it still kicks butt in spite of its minor short comings, how small do you have to get for ppl to pick up on this? it cant be size if ppl think the n8x0 is to big but are head over heels in love with the iPhone/ touch.. its the samllest i've seen for what its packing... as for price its all in what you want if you ask me, price doesnt stop ppl from flocking to buy the newiest iphone or pc with all the fixins if they really want it. you also dnt see many 52'' flat screen 1080p HD T.V's going for $500 just to get ppl to buy them ( which they dnt mind going through hell to calibrate and play with to tweak for optimal viewing pleasure, trust me i have a 32'' hd 1080p that was not fun having to get it to look good because it doesn't come out of the box that way ) and expand the market, if your in the market for it you'll get it, and it seems to be that the under tone towards the Nokia tablets/MIDs is , well why do I need a that device for that when I have a computer and a smart phone. Just like that big screen t.v, you dnt need all that at all but if it were at that price you wouldn't mind helping your self to a "couple"... needless to say you cant harp on something for what it lacks and then top it off with a necessity bomb. Not the best comparison but I hope you kinda get what i'm trying to say, its like you have to haggle with consumers to even look into something new by droppin the price. making top notch hardware (expensive to manufacture) top notch software ( again exspensive to manufacture) then present it in some type of magnetic sales pitch, i see why they dnt mind appealing to this small market, for the few that are in it we appreciate it and utilize and make the most out of it for genuine use instead of getting it because it can finally copy/paste and play music as well as have thousands of apps just for the sake of having them that we know will probably never be used. the mass majority of new users/ consumers are way to FICKLE for this market of devices for the time being, not to say they will never come around but like I was saying in the beginning of my "book" lol, I am a person who loves gadgets and tech but still wasn't totally on to this device and even took more for me totally get on board once I heard about it, so for someone who isn't as tech savvy to want to jump on board because its a smaller version of the PC they have, will take awhile like Raiden says ( even more so because they want to grade against a fully juiced up desk top) but my only grip is skeptics feel that the iphone/ touch is best for there needs in this aspect. which is sad really to me, I cant imagine doing all the things that ppl claim the NIT "cant" do due to lack of speed, or what ever, on an iphone/ touch... then I've read ppl say this NIT is reaching its end of life or something.. As long as it performs and does what its not only supose to do but fulfils my need (like all tech you buy) then it will remain n good standing with me, I really dnt see how they say its so old or dated when it came out the same year the iPhone did and the only thing that has changed with the iPhone is software, hardly non if any real changes made, so why is every one dumping on the n810 like it pales in comparison. I know this isn't something that you could give to a friend and they enjoy it as much as an "apple-MID" but thats just the one herdle that has to be over come in my eyes for MIDs to reach out to new users, even to me its seems a bit mcuh to really customize this thing to really get it the way you want it but I'm always up for a challenge and have a disire to learn more about software and programs and such so I actually bought this to help me become more tech savvy and learn and have fun with a great gadget.

Last edited by jalladin; 2009-07-04 at 07:51.

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barbados
If as you say you are using a vendor as your guide then, yes you are not using the same definition as most people here.

But your comments are nevertheless welcome.

Last edited by dbec10; 2009-07-04 at 12:24.