Active Topics

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Maldives
Nice bug huh hehe... I am sure portrait mode will come handy (one handy ) for everyone... can't wait to see actual implementation.

Originally Posted by Kieron View Post
Congrats, your famous :P

http://maemoworld.org/2009/11/29/nok...portrait-mode/
Now on Engadget

http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/29/n...portrait-mode/

Wow lol

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Serbia, Belgrade
We have a famous member here now.

EDIT: Can i be your best friend?

Posts: 280 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Switzerland
:S! Portrait on this OS, is utter ****! What's the point in portrait anyway?
Typing a text on the N900 on portrait, (without a stylus, which also requires two hands) with a resistive touchscreen isn't a very good idea.
And the rest of stuff seems pretty stupid as well on portrait. I was attracted to this device just because of how it looks on landscape & the sexy keyboard it has...so yeah, no big deal to me

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ United Kingdom
Hello all, haha wow this is spreading like wild fire on the internet

Like i said, I had had the "launch by turning" on and as it started to open the phone app, i opened up the keyboard and closed the phone app.
I tried to make it glitch again, but it doesn't seem to work. I'll keep trying.

kopte3: Sure lol

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Lol, what you've seen is a bug.
The phone switched orientation for the phone app and then somehow forgot to switch back when going to the desktop.
It sorta works, but the UI hasn't been adapted for this orientation.

One might also be able to force portrait mode on the desktop by using xrandr (which is not on the device out of the box). But will it look good or will it be usable?

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
i just need portrait mode to write sms with one hand with a t9 keyboard like I did on the n97... I hope my dream comes true :-)

Originally Posted by God View Post
:S! Portrait on this OS, is utter ****! What's the point in portrait anyway?
Typing a text on the N900 on portrait, (without a stylus, which also requires two hands) with a resistive touchscreen isn't a very good idea.
And the rest of stuff seems pretty stupid as well on portrait. I was attracted to this device just because of how it looks on landscape & the sexy keyboard it has...so yeah, no big deal to me

i'm assuming u never used a 5800 or a n97 before then, cuz you can choose to use the dial pad with t9 and it's just as fast and accurate as a normal non qwerty phone. The size of the button is big enough to not make any mistake and confortable enough to text with one hand without looking.

as for web in portrait i agree isn't as useful

Posts: 280 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by thinh View Post
i'm assuming u never used a 5800 or a n97 before then, cuz you can choose to use the dial pad with t9 and it's just as fast and accurate as a normal non qwerty phone. The size of the button is big enough to not make any mistake and confortable enough to text with one hand without looking.

as for web in portrait i agree isn't as useful
Yeah but it's the lack of responsiveness that you'd feel comfortable with, by using one hand while writing an SMS. I'm not sure, but the phone just seems WRONG on portrait. I mean, if you have portrait + landscape, sure why not? Just an extra option you have, but I wouldn't say it's a MUST!

Well, my girlfriend has a N97 mini, so yeah, I have. But there again, it's also a lot easier to type with the physical keyboard imo.
+ the entire Symbian OS on portrait doesn't look that bad, whereas the whole "maemo has 4 desktops" wouldn't look that great.

Don't have an N900 but just thinking: if you open phone and then kill -9 the phone app . Wouldn't this leave the system in portrait mode?