I should add that I was telling agps-ui that I was either in the UK (where I am), or Australia (which should certainly see different satellites).

I'd be interested to hear what sorts of SNRs people are seeing once they have a lock, as even though I can see satellites (with signals, not just presumed to be there by AGPS) I still can't get a lock. Aaaargh!

Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
The worst, not that worst, little worst, maybe worst.........cannot help but wondering what is the plan? This is the top most bug and the most talked about, and exactly like that, just most talked about.

Anybody know what Nokia has in mind? AA-gps? AAA-gps?

bun
I'm honestly amazed that the N810's GPS made it through Nokia's QA process. Didn't they test it properly?

If they couldn't get it to work better than this, they should have left it out completely and put in some more flash memory instead. I would much rather have an N810 with 8 gigs of on-board memory than a useless GPS.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post:
I tried for the first time A-GPS this morning. I have to say that it worked really well for me. I launched Maemo Mapper at home, it showed me 12 satellites or so. I went out and it fixed in less than 5 seconds.
It worked really well for me.

Now I wish I could have a good data plan for my phone to be able to use it everywhere.

The Following User Says Thank You to Boke For This Useful Post:
For me, it works provided it feeds good data when it starts and never lose lock. If I go inside with GPS on and it looses the lock (for 1/2 hour or more) it goes back to the original behavior minutes if not hours to lock - unless I restart the GPS. Then even without internet it will relock quickly - under 30 seconds.

This is strange because it "sees" the same satellites. At one point it only displays low SN on only a few, then (restart) it quickly goes high on many bars.

The Following User Says Thank You to tz1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
I have constantly critisised the GPS in the N810 as being next to worthless, but i installed the AGPS thing today (no idea what you were supposed to do with it), ran it - it had a dot on the UK. Quit it, fired up maemo mapper, downloaded some maps, put the N810 in its sleeve, threw it in my rucksack, threw my rucksack in the car and drove to a city a fair distance away. Then I parked in a multistory, went to get a drink, then went to find a bike shop. I got the N810 to look at the map I didn't even think of using the GPS as it is normally to slow to be worth the effort, and there on maemo mapper was a red line tracking the journey into the city, and then a set of squiggles showing the track of me walking around.

I have never been so impressed with it. It is actually good enough to use now.

The Following User Says Thank You to tabletrat For This Useful Post:
agps-ui refuses to install for me. I'm using diablo and I've tried all the suggestions listed above with no luck. My standard application catalogue looks like this:

http://repository.maemo.org/extras
free non-free

http://catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com/certified/
user

http://catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com/non-certified
user

With this catalogue, I can't even see the agps-ui entry in installable applications. If I add the following entry:

http://catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com/certified/
diablo
user

Then agps-ui becomes visible. However, when I click on it, I get "Unable to install agps-uo. Some application packages required for the installation are missing." And the details says:

Application packages missing:

libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.12.12-1osso10)
libssl0.9.8 (>= 0.9.8e-1)
libsupld1
libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.12.12-osso10)
libosso1 (>= 2.16)

I've also tried to install supl-daemon manually from http://catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com...s/supl-daemon/ hoping that it would fix things magically, but it failed with almost the same packages missing message. Red/Blue pill modes don't make a difference, it still fails.

All of this leads me to believe that something has gone horribly somewhere and it's most probably my fault. Any ideas?

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
under chinook i've similar errors...
it is in any way possible to install agps-ui in chinook?
maybe force install? and upgrade those libs??

For Diablo it probably indicates that you need to upgrade. For Chinook then yes, give --force a go (dpkg) (why haven't you upgraded?!)

Last edited by lardman; 2008-07-30 at 17:26.

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
beause my batterie was really bad in diablo, and i do not have these issues in chinook.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
The AGPS beta is intended for Diablo only.

Tags
a-gps, gps