Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Addison suggested having a compilation of video podcasts for gPodder that play fine on N8x0. There are two problems at the moment:
  • Most video podcasts are too high-quality to play fluently on N8x0 devices, even with mplayer
  • There's no tablet-related content, apart from some YouTube channels

If we can come up with a bunch of tablet-related videos (tutorials, howtos, demos, real-world usage, etc..), I'd be happy to transcode the videos using Jaffa's tablet-encode and publish the videos as a video podcast, so gPodder users with tablets can view the videos in very good quality on their tablets, while still being able to play them well.

Do you have some (existing) videos that might be interesting to tablet users and are you willing to share them to be published in a video podcast? Or do you feel really motivated and want to create new videos? Reply in this thread

The Following User Says Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
Do you have any specifics on resolution, format, etc that is preferred for this task?

I could do:
*screencasts (bleh)
*use my sub-"dslr" - video is 640x480 or 320x240 in .avi container (motion JPEG). It has good optics though.
*cameraphone 176x144 mp4 or 3gp, heh.
*I'd list the n810's camera but it is miserable.
*I also have a pretty decent webcam I guess.

The only thing that strikes my fancy at the moment is alternative networking though.

The Following User Says Thank You to linuxeventually For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by linuxeventually View Post
Do you have any specifics on resolution, format, etc that is preferred for this task?

I could do:
*screencasts (bleh)
*use my sub-"dslr" - video is 640x480 or 320x240 in .avi container (motion JPEG). It has good optics though.
*cameraphone 176x144 mp4 or 3gp, heh.
*I'd list the n810's camera but it is miserable.
*I also have a pretty decent webcam I guess.

The only thing that strikes my fancy at the moment is alternative networking though.
As I'm planning to use tablet-encode (which in turn uses mencoder), the file format isn't that important, as long as it can be played by mplayer (on a Desktop distro, does not necessarily need to play on the tablet). The aspect ratio will be the same as the tablet's screen (see tablet-encode's website for more details). Other than that, the better the quality of the source video, the better.

Looking at your list, the "sub-dslr" with 640x480 at 30fps (if you can set it to that) or your "pretty decent webcam" should provide good video. There's also recordmydesktop and some other utilities that can for example convert VNC to video data, if you want to do a screencast off the tablet.

Alternative networking sounds interesting

The Following User Says Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:

Tags
crowdsourcing, podcast, tutorial, vidcast, videos