Posts: 805 | Thanked: 440 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Mississauga, On
I read some threads regarding vmware and the beta 2 image, but I can't get this sorted out. Can somebody walk me through getting up and running in Windows 7? GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Windows VPC SDK:

http://maemo.org/downloads/product/PC/vpc-sdk/

Please thank Nathan.

Last edited by joshua.maverick; 2009-12-10 at 03:49.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joshua.maverick For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by joshua.maverick View Post
I read some threads regarding vmware and the beta 2 image, but I can't get this sorted out. Can somebody walk me through getting up and running in Windows 7? GREATLY APPRECIATED.
I don't know if you there is a VMWare image around already with the SDK 2 on it, but if there is, you should only need to set up VMWare as usual (I recommend Server 1.x or Workstation). Speaking of Windows software, if it runs in Vista, it runs in 7 (and most XP software runs on it too).

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
True, maybe http://maemo.org/development/sdks/maemo_5_beta_2_sdk/ should also cover some info about other platforms. Can you file an enhancement request against "Development platform -> Documentation" in bugs.maemo.org, please?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
Actually, there are 2 possibilities :
1*Grab the latest version of esbox (esbox.garage.maemo.org) along with the vmware image (http://maemovmware.garage.maemo.org/) and virtualbox or vmware. You'll also need Cygwin/x or XMing.
This should be the easiest,although it will need some configuration at the beginning, but you will get a complete IDE.
Esbox still in beta, you may have some problems.

2* Manually install Ubuntu or Kubuntu inside a virtual machine, then maemo-sdk+ along with scratchbox 2.

You'll get a somewhat good and stable environment, but no fancy IDE, at least not in Windows.

If you opt for Qt, then you can use QtCreator in Windows, then simply copy your code (or share it) in the linux box, and use a "qmake && make" command.

Last edited by karatchov; 2009-09-04 at 02:52.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to karatchov For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Please do not expect to have the same experience from the SDK that you have seen from the marketing videos because it will NOT be there. The SDK is just there to give you a place to test and work on your apps, not as a demo for the device.

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
I think I mistook the question.
I thought it's about getting started coding for Maemo 5 in Windows 7.
But it looks like it's about getting started using Maemo 5 in Windows7.

If you are looking for a way to run Maemo 5 (as the same one that you saw in the N900 video) in you PC, then you better wait for the hardware .... (and maybe use a VNC server )

People seems to miss-understand maemo 5, thinking of it as another open source ubuntu-like distribution for computers.

Somebody have to explain this before getting this board flooded by "how to run maemo 5" threads ....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to karatchov For This Useful Post:
No, I want to start developing on Maemo 5. I haven't developed for mobile yet, but I have extensive experience with flash and php, and the n900 inspired me to start developing.

No, I want to start developing on Maemo 5. I haven't developed for mobile yet, but I have extensive experience with flash and php, and the n900 inspired me to start developing.
I think QT would be your best bet, thinking in the long term, maybe developing desktop widgets.

Originally Posted by Andre Klapper View Post
True, maybe http://maemo.org/development/sdks/maemo_5_beta_2_sdk/ should also cover some info about other platforms. Can you file an enhancement request against "Development platform -> Documentation" in bugs.maemo.org, please?
How do I do this? I am new to this community.

How do I do this? I am new to this community.
Go here:

https://bugs.maemo.org/enter_bug.cgi...ent%20platform

Create an account, then ask for more documentation, in this case for W7.

The Following User Says Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post:

Tags
development, fremantle, maemo, maemo 5, programming, sdk, virtual machine, virtualpc, windows, windows 7