Originally Posted by fms View Post
If by "them" you mean Nokia, I have no personal plans to convince Nokia of anything. Just leisurely observing things as they go on.

Maybe they should start by figuring out what the target audience is and what it (the audience) wants...
Well I think they figured out the chat part by integrating Pidgin libs in the rtcomm update.

Hopefully modest email will be part of the image as well.

And since I'm on a roll here we need flash block built into the browser. Flash heavy sites on a 400mhz ARM is painful... let me click on the flash object I want to start rendering

The Following User Says Thank You to sherifnix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by lemmy View Post
But she's used to a computer being versatile, adapting to a person's needs. The IT doesn't.
I tend to agree with most of your other comments (in spirit, anyway-- I think they drift a little too far to an extreme), but I don't get that remark. The tablets, not versatile??? I guess I need to see a more detailed explanation of why you say that. On this very forum I see so many examples of versatility and adaptation it makes my head spin. True, many are originated by and aimed at hardcore geeks, but given time they can and will make the mainstream. We've already seen that happen.

So many complain about what Nokia left out, without ever considering that maybe, just maybe, you can easily replace "tablet" with the Latin "tabula rasa" and get a really good idea of what's been going on since the 770. Nokia has acknowledged that the tablets are on a 5-step, i.e., evolutionary program. The pain of this is also the beauty: USERS are being challenged to identify the missing pieces, ergo they are defining and guiding the growth of the platform. How often do you see this in devices? As opposed to some company foistering closed, narrowly-defined products on consumers?

YOU guys are dictating the future of the tablets. YOU have been given an opportunity that for the most part just does not exist in conventional Research & Development: you are live participants, whose experiences and suggestions are taken into account and plowed into further development. Those who scoff and say they don't see it must be oblivious to the obvious... just lay a 770, N800 and N810 out in a row and it becomes apparent. Or look at OS2005, OS2006, OS2007 and now OS2008-- once again, hard to deny what's been happening. And yet that important aspect is too often overlooked by reviewers who miss the scope and focus on what isn't there. How ironic.

Anyway, the tablets aren't really specific to geeks; rather, they're aimed at people who want to be involved in a new platform's development. That isn't limited to techies... it takes artists, marketeers, writers... dreamers of all kinds. What's really missing is an enlightened grasp of that by the community at large. A few individuals here and there Get It, but for the most part others do not. There is where Nokia's challenge really lies IMO: educating the next generation of consumers, who will eagerly and happily participate, even unpaid, in a platform's R&D.

But just wait. Those who think Nokia has not been listening are in for some really big surprises.

Last edited by Texrat; 2008-02-27 at 15:46.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
you really love dropping those hints, dont you texrat?

Originally Posted by tso View Post
you really love dropping those hints, dont you texrat?
Gotta keep you lugnuts fired up.

Seriously, the upcoming WiMAX tablet is a nice evolutionary step. What's coming afterward will blow your socks off.

Let's hope for a summer release, then, so we don't get frostbite.

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Let's hope for a summer release, then, so we don't get frostbite.
Don't hold your breath.

Hey, you could blow on your toes to keep them thawed...

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Seriously, the upcoming WiMAX tablet is a nice evolutionary step. What's coming afterward will blow your socks off.
You know, it's comments like this that make me wonder whether--were we ever to meet--I'd hug you or slug you.

Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
You know, it's comments like this that make me wonder whether--were we ever to meet--I'd hug you or slug you.
I would hope for the slug first. I'd take the hug as an apology.

You do realise that with that statement you probably persuaded about 2/3rds of the people on this forum NOT to buy the WiMax tablet?

Wow! Nokia's buying Apple ?!?! N830Touch !!

<ducks>