Posts: 144 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Niles IL...Chicago born and raised.
I had just gotten my 800, and went to the how-to extend filesystem to MMC card by Wolfram, when at the top of the page, I saw a link on booting from MMC. So I bit, and everything went fine. THEN I realize that there is an update for the firmware. I go through with it and update that too...and without missing a beat, I did the whole boot from MMC process again...but I didn't format my card.

After I upgraded and did the boot from MMC, I booted from MMC...only to find that everything...programs, most of my settings, etc...were still in tact. I just restored my backup I made prior to the flashing, and boom. Everything is back to normal. I don't know if anyone knew of this or not...

Oh, and the firmware version when I boot from MMC is ...the latest version. 2007 something.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Assuming you used tar, it sounds like you've just copied a new OS on top of the old one - if you had used rsync it would have deleted any files from the target which didn't exist in the new OS (which in your case would be mostly application-specific files).

Chances are the apps you installed for the old OS (which were on the MMC) are still there as these are new files and links that don't exist in the new OS.

What you ended up with on MMC is a merger of 2.2006.51-6 + apps and 3.2007.10-7, with the latter replacing any existing files provided by 2.2006.51-6 yet keeping all the new application files... it's probably understandable that it worked, though I'm not sure I'd call it ideal!

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Niles IL...Chicago born and raised.
See that's what I'm trying to figure out, should I do/have done it another way?

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Yes, by following the Howto!

I guess the "safest" way would be to start with an empty MMC and copy a known working 3.2007.10-7 system over, then boot from MMC and install your apps.

However you've kind of got to that point already whereby your MMC now contains a 3.2007.10-7 root filesystem with pre-installed applications, but there is no guarantee you won't experience problems further down the road as what you have done is not really the recommended approach to upgrading the OS. But if it works... great!