Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
C is a negative across the board: http://blog.fosketts.net/2016/10/29/...thunderbolt-3/

However, I don't see the problem with 3, it's just a backwards compatible, faster version of the previous USBs.
I don't see this as a problem. We have one port with many protocols. Not the first one. Even the SCART cables were not all the same nor all the connectors were made with all options. The downside is that not all of them can be used at once so obviously we still need more than one port on more versatile devices. But blaming port because it provides different protocols that will confuse Average Joe is just lame. If our Joe is interested at all he can alway read the manual and not expect that something should worrk just because the plug fits. Not all BT devices supports all the profiles and world didn't end because of that. Cabels fror USB-C to "something" shouldn't be the problem because they are/will be designed for that (crappy cables exist in non C world also). And USB-C to USB-C just have to be a good quality cabel with all the wires and all supported protocols will work (again, crappy ones exist). The fact that some OEM decided to use USB-C port for USB 2.0 protocol (which is supported under specs) is hardly a USB-C port fault.

The Following User Says Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Can you take it on a plane, or does it have to go in the hold?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Martinhsl68hw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
I don't see this as a problem. We have one port with many protocols. Not the first one. Even the SCART cables were not all the same nor all the connectors were made with all options. The downside is that not all of them can be used at once so obviously we still need more than one port on more versatile devices. But blaming port because it provides different protocols that will confuse Average Joe is just lame. If our Joe is interested at all he can alway read the manual and not expect that something should worrk just because the plug fits. Not all BT devices supports all the profiles and world didn't end because of that. Cabels fror USB-C to "something" shouldn't be the problem because they are/will be designed for that (crappy cables exist in non C world also). And USB-C to USB-C just have to be a good quality cabel with all the wires and all supported protocols will work (again, crappy ones exist). The fact that some OEM decided to use USB-C port for USB 2.0 protocol (which is supported under specs) is hardly a USB-C port fault.
I'd say being able to destroy your electronics by using the wrong cable which looks exactly the same is a big problem. I think it's pretty ridiculous I should have to read a manual for a cable of all things, just so I don't wreck hundreds of euros worth of tech gadgets. I have a hard enough time explaining my parents that the close button on a tab is not the same as the close button of the whole browser, I really don't look forward to receiving their calls about how their USB-C gadget doesn't turn anymore because they "just put in the cable and it stopped working".

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
but that's because of the shitty cables. It has nothing to do with port and protocols. The only way to avoid that is to completely remove power from specs. And nobody wants that.

The Following User Says Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
@kinggo, you are right, multiple protocols over the same physical interface are a problem but not the problem. My main objection to USB-C is the lack of compatibility. I have absolutely zero USB-C devices so obviously the first one with a USB-C only connection would be a major compatibility problem, forcing me to spend more money. And to what end? It does not give me any advantage that I can think of. No functionality I was desperately waiting for and could hardly live without. For all intents and purposes, it is "progress" for its own sake.

USB-C may be the future but t is not the present just yet. Once USB-C becomes the mainstream and there is no way to obtain "old" USB devices, then I will succumb too.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
There is a USB 3.0 on the right. I don't mind USB C as long as it is not the only port available.
If you avert your eyes to the left, that was what I was referring to - the X2 (two times) USB C-type connectors on that side of the device. But it's not the only port on this device - a good thing. Still leagues better than the faulty USB port on some devices that have been released.

Regardless, I do not see this one being funded or delivered in this state quite yet. Too many detractors by people that truly just want something else it seems.

But I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited by gerbick; 2017-03-26 at 15:13.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
@ pichlo How many micro B USB devices you had at some point in time? Or HDMI? Or USB A type?
We all started with 0 of something. And compatibility is there in specs and the rest can be solved with C-to something cable (the working one) untill everything will have just C. Which does bring usefull things. I see a lot of potential in USB C docks.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
@ pichlo How many micro B USB devices you had at some point in time? Or HDMI? Or USB A type?
A very good question. Let's see, chronologically.
  • Standard USB: My first USB device was a tablet (of the graphics type, the thing enabling you to use a pen with your PC). That was in 2000, at the time when everyone around me was using USB mice and keyboards. It took me another 10 years to plug my keyboard to a USB port, and even that was with an adapter, so I could use my still perfectly working PS/2 keyobard and mouse
    I have never owned a USB printer or scanner. My parallel port printer-scanner combo was still working fine when I replaced it with a network colour laser.
  • Micro USB: First used probably around 2011, when I acquired my first "smartphone". I used a Palm with a proprietary connector for the 9 years prior to that. The transition was painless, since the phone came with a USB to micro USB cable.
  • HDMI: I do not own a single HDMI device. In fact I went out of my way to search high and low when I was forced to buy a new TV to find one with two SCART connectors - one for the VCR and one for the DVD player. The TV also has four HDMI ports. A waste of space as far as I am concerned, but at least they are not in the way.
Does that answer your question?

There was a point in embracing USB. The move from no external hard drive to a USB external hard drive is a qualitative change. On the other hand, the move from a parallel printer to a USB printer is merely quantitative, with a questionable justification. In fact I lose more than I gain, since I could use any of my two parallel printers with any of my two computers through a cross-over switch box, something more difficult to do with USB.

The transition to USB-C is even more questionable. The number of times I thought to myself in my whole, nearly half a century long life, "How I wish I could pull this plug out and stick it back in upside down and it would still work," is exactly zero.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Gotta ask Pichlo, do you think that you represent the norm?

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
I'll buy one if they shoehorn a scart socket in there....

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tommo For This Useful Post: