Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
The moment he mentioned that MeeGo is Nokia's proprietary OS, I knew that he was full if sh*t. It's clear the guy doesn't know what he's talking about much less in a position to make suggestions. I'm saying this and I'm the guy getting a rep for sounding all anti-Nokia around here (merited or not) because I'm openly critical of Nokia. :P I'd rather read some genuine suggestions to Nokia from someone who actually knows what the hell they're talking about, not some random dufus who's letter managed to somehow show up on teh innernets and Gizmodo decided to point it out.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 282 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austin, TX, USA
What a freaking dufus. I don't know what problem Nokia has that he thinks using WP7 or Android will solve. Nobody disputes that Nokia has plenty of work to do to win back market share in the USA. But there is no other company that sells as many handsets as they do, and no other company that sells as many smartphones as they do.

Android is not a company and Google does not sell android phones (well...they branded one a while back). It would be fair to compare Nokia to Samsung. Samsung makes some of the coolest Android devices out there. They are doing very well. But they still haven't outsold Nokia. Nokia claims 28.3 million smartphone sales in Q4. Even a conservative extrapolation out to a full year gives them sales of around 100 million smartphones a year. And that is without the US market contributing much. Samsung says they sold around 20 million smartphones last year, and they hope to sell 60 million smartphones next year. Perhaps they will far exceed that expectation and quadruple their last year sales and sell 80 million. Wildly exceeding their own expectations would still leave them far short of what Nokia is selling. So why should Nokia, who is beating them in market share, emulate them?

I don't know if Nokia will get it right with meego...I think they dropped the ball with maemo and never let it live up to its full potential. But if meego follows the same design principals as Linux generally does, they give themselves a great base to work from where the OS guys get to worry about implementing the hardware and drivers and the user experience guys get to build on top of that in a fairly generic way with a bunch of standard libraries. And hardware manufacturers (like the ones who make the compass chips and the Near Field Communications chips) can make linux drivers that should be extremely similar or the same for android phones or meego phones. I wouldn't be surprised if, a year or two from now, we start seeing Davlik, Symbian, and possibly WebOs implemented as a UX layer on top of meego.

And to top it off, Nokia does pretty much the opposite of what this article is saying in switching from maemo to meego. Instead of having an in-house, Nokia-only linux implementation that they are working on, they have shifted it out-of-house, shared the burden with Intel, and opened it up to a wider set of implementers who will (hopefully) contribute back to its development.

I hope Nokia doesn't listen to this guy. I really want to see the positive things we have in maemo expanded upon in newer phones. N900, for all of its faults and for all of Nokia's missteps with it, is a major step forward in putting power and flexibility in the hands of users. Moving to a tightly controlled app-based environment like Android or WP7 would be a step backwards.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rmerren For This Useful Post:
Posts: 559 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cyprus

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
I don't know how these threads keep popping up.

OP only has 11 posts and every single post is FUD. I smell a Gizmodo employee.

The Following User Says Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by rmerren View Post
What a freaking dufus. I don't know what problem Nokia has that he thinks using WP7 or Android will solve. Nobody disputes that Nokia has plenty of work to do to win back market share in the USA. But there is no other company that sells as many handsets as they do, and no other company that sells as many smartphones as they do.

Android is not a company and Google does not sell android phones (well...they branded one a while back). It would be fair to compare Nokia to Samsung. Samsung makes some of the coolest Android devices out there. They are doing very well. But they still haven't outsold Nokia. Nokia claims 28.3 million smartphone sales in Q4. Even a conservative extrapolation out to a full year gives them sales of around 100 million smartphones a year. And that is without the US market contributing much. Samsung says they sold around 20 million smartphones last year, and they hope to sell 60 million smartphones next year. Perhaps they will far exceed that expectation and quadruple their last year sales and sell 80 million. Wildly exceeding their own expectations would still leave them far short of what Nokia is selling. So why should Nokia, who is beating them in market share, emulate them?

I don't know if Nokia will get it right with meego...I think they dropped the ball with maemo and never let it live up to its full potential. But if meego follows the same design principals as Linux generally does, they give themselves a great base to work from where the OS guys get to worry about implementing the hardware and drivers and the user experience guys get to build on top of that in a fairly generic way with a bunch of standard libraries. And hardware manufacturers (like the ones who make the compass chips and the Near Field Communications chips) can make linux drivers that should be extremely similar or the same for android phones or meego phones. I wouldn't be surprised if, a year or two from now, we start seeing Davlik, Symbian, and possibly WebOs implemented as a UX layer on top of meego.

And to top it off, Nokia does pretty much the opposite of what this article is saying in switching from maemo to meego. Instead of having an in-house, Nokia-only linux implementation that they are working on, they have shifted it out-of-house, shared the burden with Intel, and opened it up to a wider set of implementers who will (hopefully) contribute back to its development.

I hope Nokia doesn't listen to this guy. I really want to see the positive things we have in maemo expanded upon in newer phones. N900, for all of its faults and for all of Nokia's missteps with it, is a major step forward in putting power and flexibility in the hands of users. Moving to a tightly controlled app-based environment like Android or WP7 would be a step backwards.
Although I would like to agree that Nokia should press ahead with what they're doing (especially, hopefully, MeeGo), I'm far less religious about it than you are. From my more pragmatic position, I see Nokia as selling far more cell phones but they have been far surpassed as a platform. That's where Google's Android operating system is now the leader.

Google might not sell devices (for the record, they've Google branded MANY devices as far back as the T-Mobile G1 which clearly says GOOGLE across the back and was used as a reference device... even my Droid says GOOGLE across the back and it was sold as a Google blessed handset unlike most of the newer Droids) but they have certainly far outsold Nokia as a mobile platform the world over. Your argument holds up about as well as the old Microsoft stodges trying to sell Windows servers with the claim that Windows is the best OS in the world for servers because it outsells Linux, a free OS that anybody could get. Just because there were many vendors selling a free OS with varying distributions didn't make Linux any more inferior or take over any less in the server market.

For that matter, you should probably hold off puffering up Nokia too much. They seem to be losing more and more bragging rights lately. Instead, suggest something constructive or listen to somebody else's suggestions. The status quo and stagnation won't keep them at the top of any statistic for very much longer. The point of my earlier posting was that the guy's suggestions aren't worth a grain of salt of wisdom for all the inaccuracies and misconceptions he cited--an instant turn-off. Your puffery isn't making your counter-proposals any more credible.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
Reading the comments made by people on that article, what I don't understand is the perspective of "Nokia basically need to make an absolute super mega Smartphone in order to get people to drop their iPhones and Androids, otherwise Nokia is finished!"

I don't understand why this should be the case?

Surely if Nokia bring out a phone with MeeGo and it gets a healthy amount of sales and people are pleased with it, why isn't that enough?

Surely there is a market for all different types of phones and platforms and no need for this all or nothing attitude. NOKIA HAZ GOTS TO SET DA WORLD ALITE WIV DER NEXT FONEZ OR DEY FINISED.

Or maybe I'm just an Idealist.

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by JamesBond@ge View Post
Reading the comments made by people on that article, what I don't understand is the perspective of "Nokia basically need to make an absolute super mega Smartphone in order to get people to drop their iPhones and Androids, otherwise Nokia is finished!"

I don't understand why this should be the case?

Surely if Nokia bring out a phone with MeeGo and it gets a healthy amount of sales and people are pleased with it, why isn't that enough?

Surely there is a market for all different types of phones and platforms and no need for this all or nothing attitude. NOKIA HAZ GOTS TO SET DA WORLD ALITE WIV DER NEXT FONEZ OR DEY FINISED.

Or maybe I'm just an Idealist.
Exactly, you hit the nail on the head here. Nokias main problem right now is to make enough devices to supply the demand. Not all devices (Nokia has a healthy bunch), but the good selling ones like the N8, C7, C6-01, E7 (real late) and C5 and a few other lower end.

A MeeGo device would surely be nice, but i's not like it will kill of iPhone and all the Androids overnight, and it will certainly not fix Nokias problems of supplying the demand. MeeGo is mainly tablets, and probably a few high end phones.

The concept that MeeGo will save Nokia has no root in reality at all.

Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
@JamesBond@ge

Wholeheartedly agree. IMHO it's by far more important for them to show that they CAN do modern, fluid UI and show that they can really integrate it with their services. I think a lot of that "urgency" is based on the assumption that they would be continuing with only making one MeeGo device every one and a half years or so which I don't think is the case. Catching up in the hardware side takes a fraction of the effort it takes to catch up on the software side.

Last edited by jsa; 2011-02-03 at 23:55.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
ahhahah MeeGo is proprietary? <removed> what? Hahahah I bet he doesn't know anything about Linux or OpenSource. He talks like he knew everything about it but yet is doesn't know anything about it.

Let's talk about proprietary, APPLE, PALM, Samsung Banda, Androids. Those are more proprietary and more closed source than MeeGo and yet he didn't mention anything. Not to mention how proprietary is WindowsMo7.

Man that Ahmed guy is a joke

Last edited by Reggie; 2011-02-04 at 05:50.

Posts: 282 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austin, TX, USA
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Although I would like to agree that Nokia should press ahead with what they're doing (especially, hopefully, MeeGo), I'm far less religious about it than you are. From my more pragmatic position, I see Nokia as selling far more cell phones but they have been far surpassed as a platform. That's where Google's Android operating system is now the leader.

Google might not sell devices (for the record, they've Google branded MANY devices as far back as the T-Mobile G1 which clearly says GOOGLE across the back and was used as a reference device... even my Droid says GOOGLE across the back and it was sold as a Google blessed handset unlike most of the newer Droids) but they have certainly far outsold Nokia as a mobile platform the world over. Your argument holds up about as well as the old Microsoft stodges trying to sell Windows servers with the claim that Windows is the best OS in the world for servers because it outsells Linux, a free OS that anybody could get. Just because there were many vendors selling a free OS with varying distributions didn't make Linux any more inferior or take over any less in the server market.

For that matter, you should probably hold off puffering up Nokia too much. They seem to be losing more and more bragging rights lately. Instead, suggest something constructive or listen to somebody else's suggestions. The status quo and stagnation won't keep them at the top of any statistic for very much longer. The point of my earlier posting was that the guy's suggestions aren't worth a grain of salt of wisdom for all the inaccuracies and misconceptions he cited--an instant turn-off. Your puffery isn't making your counter-proposals any more credible.
I'm not really sure what counts as "religious" or "puffering up" (though I'm quite sure that several religions would have problems with me puffering anyone up) in what I said. If your point is that Google has bragging rights and lots of android phones are selling, then I completely agree. But the point that you seem to be dismissing as puffery is that Nokia currently is the world leader in selling smartphones. And, despite Android's popularity, they are in very little danger of losing that distinction in the next year. Their next biggest rival is Samsung, and it is very unlikely that Samsung will outsell Nokia in either smartphones or total phones in 2011.

Puffery would be saying something like "The iPhone is the one to beat in the market"--Apple has steadily slipped from 3rd to 5th in the market. No matter how much great press they get, they are not even contenders for being the biggest selling smartphone manufacturer.

Your microsoft comparison is actually very apt for making the case. Lots of people think that Macs are the coolest things around, and lots of people (myself included) think that microsoft OS and products are a tremendous waste of money for the vast majority of the market who could do the job for hundreds of dollars less on Linux, but Microsoft is without a doubt the undisputed king of the desktop and sells like gangbusters. And not because they are either technically superior or because they are the coolest.

Android has definitely outsold everthing else on the market, including Nokia's several symbian options and maemo combined. It will outsell anything meego (though the davlik-on-meego phones that I so eerily predicted through a monkey wrench in that kind of talk, don't they?). But nobody has sold more handsets than Nokia. Whatever you think of Symbian and of Android, Nokia's decision to create and sell symbian handsets has not been disastrous, wrongheaded, or a death knell because in doing so they have wildly outsold every other smartphone (and overall handset) maker on the market. My point, which you may have missed due to my obtuse writing style, was that it is not a good idea for Nokia to adopt Android, and certainly not a good idea to adopt WP7, because Nokia phones (with symbian on them) are outselling every other manufacturer's phones. Samsung, with a wide array of phones, with extremely cool Android phones, and with major placement with the top US cellular service providers, has not approached Nokia in smartphone sales (or overall handset sales), and will not do in the next year. Neither have/will Motorola, HTC, Apple, or RIM. Adopting Android (or WP7) has not propelled any of those companies to be the market leader, and selling symbian has not stopped Nokia from being the market leader.

I know you are not arguing the position of the article--that Nokia should start selling WP7 and Android. You take the easy route of dismissing the article entirely because the author is so clearly full of poo. But given that you are frequently a thoughtful commenter on this site (if not always a tactful one), I would be interested in your opinion of the actual topic here: should Nokia drop symbian and take up WP7 or Android? Will they survive if they do not? Can they afford not to jump on one of those OS's, as the "analyst" claims?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rmerren For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread