Posts: 297 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ new jersey, usa
preordered and already bought the n97's battery for more juice.

Hmm I wonder if there will be power modes. E.g. music mode where if you switch to that power mode it stops background network tasks like email checking (maybe even killing those apps). Would be nice if we could setup something like that (well we could with the use of scripts but meh).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kenny View Post
I'm guessing here:
3G connected, Joiku Spot transmitting, streaming video with full brightness & max volume, GPS tracking on, accelerometer Step Counter on (you're moving), push notifications & Skype & IM client & pings all on at max occurrence rate, .....am I missing anything?
Older battery?
Sounds like a bench test.
The N82 only lasting 90 mins doesn't surprise me, it's a rather nasty firmware bug where the wireless keeps trying to connect behind the scenes without alerting you in the UI. I suffered from it, did a hard reset on it and now it can easily make over 2 day of usage on GSM, 3G varies obviously but I only switch it on when I need fast data, it's simply overkill for SMS and voice calls.

If the charger on the N900 is as tiny as the N82's then it won't be a problem to carry it about with you just in case.

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lincs, UK
Originally Posted by kryptoniankid17 View Post
preordered and already bought the n97's battery for more juice.

Humphhh, I dont think that will work bud

Originally Posted by DannStarr View Post
Humphhh, I dont think that will work bud
LOL yeah, I was thinking the same...assuming the 2 batteries are the same dimensions length/width wise (I have no idea if that's the case, just throwing out a hypothetical)...the N97 battery is almost assuredly thicker and thus the cover isn't gonna go back on. Hope he ordered a roll of duct tape to go along with that battery

Posts: 150 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Madrid, Spain
Originally Posted by texaslabrat View Post
LOL yeah, I was thinking the same...assuming the 2 batteries are the same dimensions length/width wise (I have no idea if that's the case, just throwing out a hypothetical)...the N97 battery is almost assuredly thicker and thus the cover isn't gonna go back on. Hope he ordered a roll of duct tape to go along with that battery
LOL. I go through batteries like a teenager and tissues :P hehe. I have multiple batteries for my blackberry and a spare charger so I don't need my battery in my phone to charge that battery.

Since there are already extended batteries for that battery, I'm sure we can just plug them in, but we'll just need a new cover (which could take time). So we'll need to wait and see. I really don't like turning off a device to change batteries. I have a Motorola Mini Usb battery charger (emergency) and I have a mini usb to microusb converter. I'm set I'm gunna test this device and play hard ball hehe.

It will probably not last a day whith normal use. The n95 didnt last a day the n95 8gb didnt and the n96 didnt either. The n900 has a 1320 mah battery 400 bigger then the n96. but i guess it uses atleast twice as much power when used then the n96.

Power optimisation is perfect... when not using the phone... you cant cut back speed to save power? atleast not when using the phone. same as for backlight and stuff. all the options possible are allready used in all the phones. like keyboerd backlight turns off when there is enough light. and background light is dimmed when its dark. Nice features but even with these features you save half an hour max! and probably even less!

What i dont get is why they always begin about "if we put in a bigger battery the phone will become too big" i couldnt really care less if the n900 would be 5 mm thicker and having a 2500 or 3000 mah battery.

Im still waiting for a phone that can last for atleast 8 hours browsing the web... my n96 right now is emty in half an hour (when fully charged) and im afraid the n900 will get the same problem

There is a program called energy profiler its free and lets you see the amount of Watts used by the phone.

Last edited by sygys; 2009-09-30 at 13:32.

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Netherlands
I opened a new topic but I think it is better to post it here:

My Nokia N810 has a BP-4L battery with 1500 mAh.The new Nokia N900 will get the BL-5J with only 1320 mAh.
That is 180 mAh less in a successor.
Strange because the N900 has now things like:

-Integrated FM transmitter
-5 megapixel camera with dual led flash
-Call and data features like 3G and HSDPA.

And much more that the N810 did not have , so the N900 will need more power but gets less.
The N900's 1320 mAh battery has 12% (180mAh) less then the N810's 1500 mAh battery.

But there is one thing more to tell about the battery of the n900 , it is only a Li-Ion battery against the much better Li-Polymer of the N810.
When compared to a lithium-ion battery, a Li-poly has a greater life cycle , and lower weight and greatly increased run times.

Nokia gives the N900 not only less battery-power , from 1500mAh to "only" 1320 mAh but also a worse battery-technologie from Li-Polymer to Li-Ion.

Posts: 547 | Thanked: 1,383 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Stockholm, Sweden
It's all good comparing pure numbers on the batteries, but are you taking the different hardware in to account? I.e. how much better some of the hardware is at conserving power? Any numbers on this?

Until we get the final hw and sw it's pure speculation, and at least try to think about more than the mAh on the battery when doing this ;-)

Problem with fMMS? Run in x-terminal: cp /tmp/fmms.log /home/user/MyDocs/
After that you'll see fmms.log in filemanager or when you connect the device to your desktop as a mass storage device.
E-mail the log to me, if you don't have the email address, drop me a PM. Thanks!

fMMS - MMS for your N900
fAPN - GUI for adding a new GPRS APN
If you like this post, don't be shy to thank me -->

The Following User Says Thank You to frals For This Useful Post:
Aren't there companies making high end and high quality batteries for nokia's? Maybe we can just buy it from another company?

Tags
n900 battery, n900 v. power war, piss poor