Active Topics

@sulu: Not really at the moment. FPTF is more about getting what we've got running on another device, I'm aiming more towards getting a Maemo-like interface up and running using a different base. I want to use gtk3 and/or qt5 for UI so that breaks a lot of existing packages. More like investigating the options for a Maemo 6/7 as opposed to working towards 5.x.

The packages I'm using avoid some of the closed source components but at what cost I'm yet to fully determine. I could have gone Cordia route and just put interface on top of Mer/Nemo but I prefer dpkg over rpm for packaging.

At the moment it's just a personal project for me, until I can ascertain what is needed to take it further. If there is anything that is beneficial to FPTF then I'm more than happy to lend a hand if available.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Interesting, just by following this thread I found that there are at least 3 people(FTPF not counting) working on rebasing maemo on top of Debian. And the question is obvious, why not cooperate ?

The Following User Says Thank You to DDark For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by pharmakon View Post
It's a shame that you don't have a spare to work on. I have a number of N900s in various conditions - one has a dead microphone, one is one of those HK refurb/forgeries w/ the missing magnet on a flimsy back cover, one is my currently daily phone (used and abused) which has suffered some wicked drops and has dead USB disease (I've been too lazy to repair it because I just rsync and I have spares to use as battery chargers), and finally another used one from ebay that I'm planning to make my daily driver.

I'm in the middle of a apartment move (which is incidentally good for taking account of where everything I own is), so it may take a short while, but I have a N900 surplus and I'd like to fix your N900 deficit.

PM me so I have a reminder.

pharmakon
(bought N900 on release day, lurker on tmo since 2010, Neo900 purchaser.)
Thank you very much for your offer. I have asked the Neo900 team if they can provide me with a Mozilla donated N900. If nothing comes of it, I will gladly take you up on your offer. Thanks again and welcome to TMO!

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by DDark View Post
Interesting, just by following this thread I found that there are at least 3 people(FTPF not counting) working on rebasing maemo on top of Debian. And the question is obvious, why not cooperate ?
Nice idea. I would be happy to cooperate with anything that helps with improving the Debian mobile experience. My experiment however is substantially different from Android_808 and Aapo's rebase work. My plan is to use LXC and OverlayFS (recently mainlined) to run Fremantle in a container. It should be quite feasible, I just haven't really spent any time on it yet.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
Nice idea. I would be happy to cooperate with anything that helps with improving the Debian mobile experience. My experiment however is substantially different from Android_808 and Aapo's rebase work. My plan is to use LXC and OverlayFS (recently mainlined) to run Fremantle in a container. It should be quite feasible, I just haven't really spent any time on it yet.
Sounds like a brilliant idea!

Let's see what Jörg say re. a N900 for you. If it doesn't work out I'll gladly send some money your way.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Mar 2015 @ Frankfurt
hi all,

i wanted to thank everyone who is working on getting debian to run on a mobile phone!

realu

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to realu For This Useful Post:
My approach was
* get rid everything Nokia messed
* merge to Debian everything Nokia did well

I never got (any) gles-driver working with kernel 3.X. Lately I have been busy with other things.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AapoRantalainen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by AapoRantalainen View Post
My approach was
* get rid everything Nokia messed

I never got (any) gles-driver working with kernel 3.X. Lately I have been busy with other things.
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=142

this is the kernel on https://gitorious.org/linux-n900/fre...9718ae78a33c8: (the "upstream", not my clone, should work as well)

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by AapoRantalainen View Post
I don't remember:
Did you try to merge Fremantle's UI? I think that's something Nokia did very well.
I remember the hildon package in Squeeze being a fubar version of Chinook or Diablo and Debian's matchbox being mostly unuseable.

The Following User Says Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
I don't remember:
Did you try to merge Fremantle's UI? I think that's something Nokia did very well.
Yes and yes.
I got Hildon-desktop (cordia patched) compiled and running top of Jessie running on N900:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...9&postcount=82

Thus seems I haven't posted step-by-step instructions or links to the sources.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AapoRantalainen For This Useful Post:

Tags
debian, debian900, devuan, maemo 7