Posts: 412 | Thanked: 480 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Bronx, NY
@ misterc

I dont think it is off topic at all. This is my take on the situation. Since it is a community effort, it's kinda take what you can get. People work on what they feel like working on, if someone wants to focus on portrait mode so be it, if they want to fix modest great. I dont really care for the way Nokia was going about things. If you have been following issues and requests for the N9 there has been a lot of wont fix and this was the case for promised features of the n900, flash 10 being a biggie.

I myself am not too concerned about what they (CSSU) want to push out in their updates. I see it as a hell of a lot better than having to deal with carrier updates with their bloat/spy ware for android or having to dig around for the latest hacked rom etc.

I have been using cssu from day one and have not had any issues with it, guess I'm lucky but at the same time I'm not the only one. Quite frankly I think that the current system, having a testing version available for the entire community to use, is a great QA test bed. In my mind the Nokia QA would be maybe 20-30 devices running their new update with only apps installed from OVI and a few from extras. Not really an accurate test for real world use.

In summary do I think that CSSU could be more organized and have better documentation, sure but you have to keep in mind that this is a volunteer effort. Does it bother me at all the way it is, no. I honestly feel better/safer installing a community set of fixes than a corporate one, if I didn't I would have just bought a faildroid.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mike Fila For This Useful Post:
I flashed my device with PR 1.3 yesterday, post about 4-5 months of CSSU testing usage. Few observations which I wanted to share. Please take these for what they are worth. Also understand that pre-flashing, my device had a long list of programs installed and perhaps my #2 can be attributed to things generally speeding up after a fresh flash:

1. With CSSU, typing from the homescreen would generally miss a character as Contacts showed up. For example, if I started typing Aiyush, Contacts would be looking for Aiush or Ayush (missing generally the second or the third character). Guess I can recall quite well that this never happened before CSSU and does not happen now anymore.

2. When double-tapping the power-key, around 30% of times the Power menu will come up (as if tapped only once) but the screen will not lock. Similarly when pressing the power key with screen locked, around 30% of times nothing would happen (unlock slider should appear). Again this problem has vanished after going back to PR 1.3

Again, I am not sure if there is a link between CSSU and the issues. I am laying those out so that this can be confirmed/rejected by other observers and perhaps serve as an input for the next release. Cheers!

The Following User Says Thank You to aiyush For This Useful Post:
Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
Originally Posted by aiyush View Post
I flashed my device with PR 1.3 yesterday, post about 4-5 months of CSSU testing usage. Few observations which I wanted to share. Please take these for what they are worth. Also understand that pre-flashing, my device had a long list of programs installed and perhaps my #2 can be attributed to things generally speeding up after a fresh flash:

1. With CSSU, typing from the homescreen would generally miss a character as Contacts showed up. For example, if I started typing Aiyush, Contacts would be looking for Aiush or Ayush (missing generally the second or the third character). Guess I can recall quite well that this never happened before CSSU and does not happen now anymore.

2. When double-tapping the power-key, around 30% of times the Power menu will come up (as if tapped only once) but the screen will not lock. Similarly when pressing the power key with screen locked, around 30% of times nothing would happen (unlock slider should appear). Again this problem has vanished after going back to PR 1.3

Again, I am not sure if there is a link between CSSU and the issues. I am laying those out so that this can be confirmed/rejected by other observers and perhaps serve as an input for the next release. Cheers!
you can find that out by instaling cssu on a clean freshly flashed device

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
1. With CSSU, typing from the homescreen would generally miss a character as Contacts showed up.

2. When double-tapping the power-key, around 30% of times the Power menu will come up (as if tapped only once)
I've had both of these issues with PR1.3 (and PR1.2) before and after CSSU. It's not CSSU, but rather if you have other things installed that are slowing down the responsiveness of the system. Since all of these issues are handled in a polled way (key-press detection), anything that eats CPU is going to do this.

I found a simple fix for the first issue is to compact your contact/calendar/event database. After a while it grows quite large and the cruft takes a while to load. The second one tends to only happen to me when I'm locking after exiting a program that takes some CPU to reset (like browser, or a mapping program).

Either way, this is more of a general performance issue than a CSSU issue.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
I have started a separate thread to propose a TSG for CSSU.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=82372

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:

I entirely agree with point number 1. I am a very big fan of cssu and indeed respect what the team has been doing. However I wonder why this issue has not been addressed yet!

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Dublin
I used CSSU for about a month but changed back for one simple reason.

It's the portrait mode.

In landscape, i like to have my icons and apps arranged a certain way. When it switched to portrait mode, everything gets moved around when switched back to landscape. This basically made me lock to landscape mode, until i wanted to use something in portrait..

Constant locking and unlocking this feature is highly irritating and to be frank, i would prefer putting up with the imperfections of pr1.3 to avoid this.

If this function could be improved i'd gladly try it again as the other benefits like stability and slightly better battery performance are worthwhile.

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Karachi
Good thread.

I personally have a lot of respect for the people who put their time into getting CSSU up and running, esp Muhammed AG, because *this* is what keeps the n900 from going obsolete. Otherwise, it's hard to imagine how a quickly-orphaned computer/phone released back in 2009 still would work better and more efficiently than 90 percent of the 'smart'-phones on the market today.

1.Just switching out of the phone app (which i lock to portrait) and avoiding the one-lifetime-long rotation animation made portrait mode worth it for me, really.

2.The camera is a brilliant improvement (flash issues notwithstanding)

3. Email works much better now

(I know this isn't a part of CSSU specifically, but it bears mention: the guy who wrote the hardware-sync/smooth-scrolling thing, man, you made the single biggest difference to my everyday life!)

Honestly, if it weren't for the people on this forum, I'd have sold my n900 for whatever i could get for it a long time ago.

Kepp up the great work!

The Following User Says Thank You to uhbhatti88 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 37 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Karachi
Originally Posted by Faustino View Post
In landscape, i like to have my icons and apps arranged a certain way. When it switched to portrait mode, everything gets moved around when switched back to landscape. This basically made me lock to landscape mode, until i wanted to use something in portrait..
Hey, I had this problem too, till i tried editing the desktop while in portrait mode. I usually arrange about six icons (four to the left, two to the right) in landscape mode, so in portrait i edited the desktop to keep the same arrangement but in a vertical column instead of a horizontal row.

Didn't realize till then that 'portrait' and 'landscape' were two seperate desktops. try it when you can, you'll like it.

The Following User Says Thank You to uhbhatti88 For This Useful Post:

I can confirm that this is relate to CSSU, at least on my device. Listing out the steps I took to establish this:

Step 1: Tried above with PR 1.3 -- no issues
Step 2: Installed CSSU (testing) -- issue re-emerged
Step 3: Went back to PR 1.3 using backup menu -- no issue again

BTW, I am just try to be helpful here to the developing team. Please feel free to ignore my observations if this is a one-off case not observed by others.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aiyush For This Useful Post: