Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Fully agree with you - I am also not a fan of gluing things together.

Despite we are a slider but disassemble is much easier than a lot of candy bar phones. No suction cup, no heat gun. All you need is a small screwdriver.

Yes we are indeed planning for an event for all the friends around us to come and play the device and have drink together. We are trying to do it around May. That would be a great chance for you to feel and type the product.
I live in USA though. You guys coming to the states? Specifically NJ? Lol

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to gtmaster303 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by gtmaster303 View Post
I live in USA though. You guys coming to the states? Specifically NJ? Lol
Sounds like a good idea, will try to make it and let you know. (If there is enough interest from others for the event)

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 52 | Thanked: 226 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ CZ & US ex-(UK/France/Switzerland/Canada)
Sounds like a good idea, will try to make it and let you know. (If there is enough interest from others for the event)
Depends on the exact time and location, but I am also most of my time on the "other" side of the ocean.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wolda For This Useful Post:
Posts: 400 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Geneva - CH
Chen, did you ask Jolla for any help with Sailfish? If so, what did they answer?

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jordi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
wonder if it safe to say that all apps that works on a note9 will work Pro1 if they are available in play Store?

How long can we expect updates? can we even expect updates and security patches?

What can I expect regarding that?
Below, my expectations as a user. Please correct if wrong.

I would expect that most of the apps will work for a while, since they don't target the hardware specifically. So, note9, sony xz1 (same chipset as pro 1, if I understood correctly), and this one, probably all are fine. Special versions designed for this device would depend on developers and possibly company interest (latter would depend on whether its successful). If we have reasonable traction on SFOS, I would expect app devs to listen to the users and adjust the applications as needed. Mainly, landscape mode would need more attention, but shouldn't be too difficult.

Now system updates can be split into two. There are updates of OS (SFOS, Lineage, ...) that I would expect for a while. Actively maintained ports have a long lifetime and if we have enough users, they can go through several maintainers as well during the lifetime. Since its a unique device and, assuming that it will sell, it should be cherished by OS maintainers for a while. This support doesn't depend much on Fxtec, as far as I can see, in long term. As my own experience, I have had devices supported by community far longer than 1-2 year cycle commonly used by HW manufacturers. In this respect, its a great move by Chen to get the device into hands of porters / adapters and I would expect good ports to come out of it. After that it should be reasonably simple to maintain.

As for driver updates, security fixes on driver level, that's what I don't know much. I would expect that it will depend on chipset manufacturer and I have no idea how are those distributed and made available. Would be interesting to hear regarding it.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by Jordi View Post
Chen, did you ask Jolla for any help with Sailfish? If so, what did they answer?
We are currently with the community adaptation route. Sample device has already been sent to the developer. Also we are engaging more developers to help for the build. My target is when the product shipping from factory there is already good SFOS build to flash.

The Following 35 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
We are currently with the community adaptation route. Sample device has already been sent to the developer. Also we are engaging more developers to help for the build. My target is when the product shipping from factory there is already good SFOS build to flash.
This really shows the passion of the makers for the F(x) Pro1.
How can someone not support guys like you!?

Keep up the AWESOME work!

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Does this mean there is no possibility for Alien Dalvik as it is not an "official" SFOS device but a community adaptation instead?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by taixzo View Post
Does this mean there is no possibility for Alien Dalvik as it is not an "official" SFOS device but a community adaptation instead?
That would be the correct answer. However, there are open source alternatives, which can be worked on to get to and passed their level of integration and implementation. Anbox being one example.

I am seriously considering of getting the device I was planning to test out the device at their office if/once they organise that. In which case I would work on an android app compatibility layer be it Anbox or something else.

Speaking of Anbox, by default the keyboard is disabled as it is set up for use on a desktop/laptop. This device would not have that issue, making one less thing to fix.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to nh1402 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Originally Posted by taixzo View Post
Even if it would be better to have Alien Dalvik, I can leave quite well without Android apps...

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit