Posts: 95 | Thanked: 131 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ London, UK
We've all noticed the tendency for handsets to wander around when placed on a hard surface and a call comes in (if you have "vibrate" enabled). This can easily lead to the device "walking" over the edge and falling onto the floor, something which was recently demonstrated to me. While I appreciate the sturdiness of the N9, the loud clatter it made on my tiled kitchen floor did make my heart stop (no, not a scratch!). And it made me think too.

Vibrate is only really useful when the handset is connected to your body but not directly visible - so what if it was possible to switch the vibration on and off depending on the state of the proximity sensor (top right of screen)? I've noticed how this (rather cleverly) is used to switch off the standby screen; what if the inverse could be done with the vibration?

Not only would this eliminate the risk of your phone acting like a lemming (yes, I know, but the analogy seems to have stuck) - you'd also be spared the annoying rattle it makes even when remaining safe, leaving you free to enjoy the soothing notes of your favourite ringtone undisturbed. I dunno. There's also something undignified about a mobile helplessly buzzing around while vainly vying for our attention. Not very Zen.

Anyone agree?

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rotterdam, port to Europe !
It would be a great feature !
Has happened to me when in silent mode, I put the N9 on a ledge above my bed, fortunately it missed my head and had a safe landing

The Following User Says Thank You to eerde For This Useful Post:
Posts: 162 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ poor Slovenia
I Would like to use proximity sensor to turn speakers on and off. I Had that on N900 and it was really helpful!!!
Thanks

SOunds like a great idea to disable vibration when its not in the pocket..absolutely love the idea. Vibration doesnt serve any purpose (for me atleast) when the phone is out there on the table

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiac For This Useful Post:
Posts: 304 | Thanked: 235 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Manila
any way to implement this in Fremantle?