Closed Thread
Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I don't want any app limited because somebody on this site doesn't use it. It didn't work for the N900, it didn't work for the N9. Limiting stuff because you don't use it, that's just you.

With that said, bring the stuff that people actually use and want to connect to easily - Google's stuff (Hangouts, Voice, Drive, Gmail), Microsoft's stuff (Outlook.com, Office 365, Skydrive), Dropbox, Box, BitTorrent Sync (personal cloud), offline Navigation, Skype, Evernote, Penultimate (sorry, but I like my handwriting note taking apps more than trying to type crap out), What'sApp/BBM/Line/Viber.

Personally I don't use nor care for Facebook or LinkedIn, but it lends credibility to the platform. So it'll need to be there in an integrated manner as would the aforesaid requests.

Esoteric requests like Adobe Ideas (or something with sketching + layers) rank high on my list as well.
request for clarification...

I understand you point about limiting apps, however I started this thread to assist Jolla in identifying the sort of things people want to see.
A lot of the services you've mentioned are entirely relevant and would be expected/hoped for as a matter of course.

would you prefer stand alone apps or functionality that integrates these services?

I want to ensure I'm putting this in the right list, as my first reaction would be to list this as functionality... PM if you prefer

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onethreealpha For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
So what stops you and your parents and friends from using open XMPP/Jingle protocol for that? Your end goal is to have a audio/video call, and not to have a "Skype" call, right? You sound like Skype has no alternatives. Let's take this discussion elsewhere if you want, since it's going too off-topic.
how do we use xmpp/jingle?

The Following User Says Thank You to youmeego For This Useful Post:
for the China market

1.Wechat(QQ)
2.PPS.tv
3.Youku
4.weibo

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to youmeego For This Useful Post:
- Rdp client
- forum reading app like tapatalk

The Following User Says Thank You to sillieidiot For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by youmeego View Post
how do we use xmpp/jingle?
See the dedicated thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1347614

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
I have 4 apps in my mind:

-swift Key Flow
-taking notes by writing on the screen (I dont have in my mind how this is called in english)
-a translator where you take a photo and the app analyses which language that is and translates it for you.
-Cas (computer algebra system), maybe from texas instruments (they have one for windows)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kanser For This Useful Post:
everything in PYTHON in every phone.
just *.py

Last edited by SHARP66; 2013-05-29 at 02:14.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SHARP66 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,396 | Thanked: 2,796 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Caracas, Venezuela
To the OpenSource freaks:

If you think Jolla's phone will be 100% open and not include any closed/propietary software you're WRONG because it WILL FAIL. Jolla knows it. Jolla saw the N900 fail. Jolla saw the N9 fail. Jolla knows if they want the phone to succeed, they need to be appealing to the masses, and that means including SEVERAL closed source applications like Skype, WhatsApp, Vibe, Line, etc.

Stop fighting it, be real. They ARE a MUST.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Scorpius For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

If you think Jolla's phone will be 100% open and not include any closed/propietary software you're WRONG because it WILL FAIL. Jolla knows it. Jolla saw the N900 fail. Jolla saw the N9 fail. Jolla knows if they want the phone to succeed, they need to be appealing to the masses, and that means including SEVERAL closed source applications like Skype, WhatsApp, Vibe, Line, etc.

native skype and whatsapp should be made available on jolla phone first launch day, hope they work with skype and whatsapp

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to youmeego For This Useful Post:
Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

There is also a need to recognise that any number (or all) of the most popular commercial applications to support the above won't necessarily (if at all) be available at launch.

anyway, back on topic..... your suggestion was?

The Following User Says Thank You to onethreealpha For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
applications, fm transmiter, infrared led, sailfish