Active Topics

why post a thread if your not even going to listen to any of the suggestions that people are giving to you? if it truely is that much agro why would you post a thread surely you would just get rid of it?

cheers

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JAMIIE For This Useful Post:
Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Originally Posted by kemar7856 View Post
ok the problem is that none of my media will display on the phone and in application manager I get an operation error I learnt this is caused because rootif is full however every attempt free space in the root has failed and I dont have a USB cable to flash the phone.

1.the catalogs are all missing
2.tried 1.sudo gainroot
rm /var/lib/dpkg/updates/0003
dpkg --configure -a
apt-get update
3.I cant use apt-get update because tells me to use dpkg --configure a but it tells me file is unable to open/create data lockfile
4.df -h / is blankbefore it would tell me the data
5.apt-get clean
apt-get autoremove
dpkg -l|grep ^rc
dpkg --purge foo bar
none of these helped
6I tried tracker-processes--hard-reset
/etc/osso-af-init/tracker.sh start
told me 151 pids...?
6.then I tried tracker-processes -R
7./etc/osso-af-init/tracker.sh start
tracker failed
It does look like reflashing is the best option.

Does the command "df -h /" really come out blank or does it give an error? It shouldn't be blank, I'm not sure how you would get that if it really is.

If your rootfs really is full it would result in some of the other problems so you need to sort that first. Try moving flashplayer to opt
Code:
root
mv /usr/lib/browser/plugins/libflashplayer.so /opt/
ln -s /opt/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/browser/plugins/libflashplayer.so
If that works then you should have a few megs of free space on your rootfs to work with. If "df" isn't working it might be because it looks for filesystems in /etc/mtab and if your rootfs is full mount can't write to that file, now you have freed up a bit of space (hopefully) you can now recreate it by running (as root)
Code:
cat /proc/mounts >/etc/mtab
Now the df command should hopefully work to tell you how much free space you have. If you get any errors with these commands post them here, but I still think flashing is a easier/better option than trying to fix this mess.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post:
the application manager problem is common to me. its why i use faster application manager and the command line for anything to install or uninstall. if your catalogues ever load up disable all the maemo repos and leave the nokia ones and watch how fast it actually works.

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Im just going to comment on the battery issue since im the go to battery guy hehehe

If you have used the N900 for 1 Year now your battery (if it's the original that came with the phone) will only hold between 70-85% of it's original charge, if it's older than that you could be looking at even less

And as others have commented, get a SCUD
For more info go to my thread (Link in my signature)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Send it to me.

(P.S.: If you took a look at the battery size - 13xx MAh, don't tell me you didn't expect that the battery life sucks balls -- it really does. Get a mintyboost.)
(P.P.S.: Only enable extras-devel when you REALLY need it. Make a routine of uninstalling apps that you don't need/use. And for the love of Linux, use mountpoints! DON'T UNTAR IN / .)

Last edited by Hurrian; 2011-04-16 at 00:43.

Originally Posted by retsaw View Post
It does look like reflashing is the best option.

Does the command "df -h /" really come out blank or does it give an error? It shouldn't be blank, I'm not sure how you would get that if it really is.

If your rootfs really is full it would result in some of the other problems so you need to sort that first. Try moving flashplayer to opt
Code:
root
mv /usr/lib/browser/plugins/libflashplayer.so /opt/
ln -s /opt/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/browser/plugins/libflashplayer.so
If that works then you should have a few megs of free space on your rootfs to work with. If "df" isn't working it might be because it looks for filesystems in /etc/mtab and if your rootfs is full mount can't write to that file, now you have freed up a bit of space (hopefully) you can now recreate it by running (as root)
Code:
cat /proc/mounts >/etc/mtab
Now the df command should hopefully work to tell you how much free space you have. If you get any errors with these commands post them here, but I still think flashing is a easier/better option than trying to fix this mess.
omg it worked !! TY weird but now that I check the space it says I have 127mb free in root ? and I got the tracker to work with the previous lines in x-term

i'm not buying an iphone I had the first one screen went dead the 3gs was exactly the same phone so I sold it why would I buy a phone everyone else has thats kinda the reason why I got this

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kemar7856 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Now you have sorted the issue with free space in your rootfs, do you still have a problems with the App Manager?

Originally Posted by 9000 View Post
You should be proud of being one of them.
I wasn't about to respond to this thread until I saw this. Why would you be proud of being part of a group that insults and laughs at people that have problems, i.e. kicking someone when he's down? The tags given to this thread are extremely immature. If you don't like what he posts, why not just ignore it? Making fun of it does not help you or him.

I agree with you philbelfast.

Regarding the topic, I do recognize a lot of your problems, however flashing is what saved me in the past. That, and the fact that some of the problems you mention seem to come and go, also related to CSSU updates that I installed.

What helped me:
- Like others said, just make a routine of going through your list of installed applications and deleting those you do not use on a monthly basis.
- Reboot the phone on a weekly basis to keep it fresh.
- Realise that if you have a problem you are probably not the only one with that particular issue. The solution for it is likely to be somewhere here on the forums already. Although the forum really misses overview because of its thread-structure, the Advanced and Power Search make up for that. I've been able to solve almost all of my individual problems within the hour using that.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ThomasAH For This Useful Post:
Posts: 144 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ a spot
My battery usage was 100% dropped to 88% dropped by 30% I only have 4% left?????!!!!!!?????!!!!!?????!!!!!
This is a pure lie unless you eat batteries?

The Following User Says Thank You to GigaByte For This Useful Post:
Posts: 172 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Forest of Dean, England.
Originally Posted by kemar7856 View Post
I had enough of this BS if its not one problem its another I had this phone for over a year now but now its F#$#DD garbage

1. battery sucks balls I have 2g on,disabled everything and it still horrible I charged it all night went to shower got dressed (not using it and its not connected to wifi or edge) I get on the bus and this garbage is already at 88% I checked tops and nothing is over 2% cpu load WTH I tried rebooting but nothing working in fact it takes me 2 or more tries to even get the phone to boot it will just shut off on its own and whenever I do reboot 30% of the battery is gone after 3 reboots it was at 2%

2.later on none of my media would display and the app manger gives me an error no repos (I didn't install anything or remove) I can even do any of the solutions online the phone tells me no memory in root but I cant do anything because it tells me I dont have access then when I log on to root it tells me something else!!!!! WTF is wrong with this the media is still on the phone I can view it app manger but in the music player and gallery its empty I deleted all my emails and converstations because it started with me getting a converstation error

3.No I cant flash it i'm on the road and dont have my USB these problems just started out of nowhere

4.errors so far
no space in conversations
no permission when i'm in root
app manger no repos
no media
apt_update/clean/purge etc etc none of them will work

#$#$# this phone i'm getting an expera play

if I can fix this without flashing maybe i'll change my opinion

Had mine over a year and having sampled everything else out there on the market I have yet to find a better phone.

Sorry you are having problems, but they are all solveable with some effort.

PICTURES TAKEN WITH MY N900

Tags
battery drain, battery life, repositories, root space