Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
There's no Elop, there's no Microsoft, their managers seem to be invested in the company and not only their titles and there's no Symbian hoarding all of the R&D investments despite being a potential dead end while resting on their laurels thinking that they've cornered a market and were too big to lose.

No. Not another Nokia.

[...]

Exciting times we live in... if you decide to look at it like that.
I wished I could give more than 1 thanks to you for this post. It's really crazy how some people try to see the end of Jolla because of that loss...are we Apple fans who define a company through a human leader? I hope not! Marc leaving is certainly a shocking suprise. He always appeared as an adventurer to me, someone who seeks challenge after challenge and maybe he needed a new one to make full use of his talents. Ubuntu phone design lead Ivanka Majic also left Canonical for the personal ambition to co-found some green tech company.

Jolla has many, many talented, competent people in every division of the company who fight for their ideas and for the "unlike" of Jolla. There are not only people leaving the company, but also joining it, like some fantastic UX-design people.

I hope to hear a statement from Marc and until then we can only speculate. But will this hurt Jolla as a company? No, I don't believe so at all...

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to caprico For This Useful Post:
I fail to see how this is a surprise to anyone. Marc's in the prime earning potential part of his career (certainly regarding being involved in young companies that might make it big), and it's patently obvious that Jolla is going absolutely nowhere quick.

I was never hugely sold on him (or any of the executive team), but he can clearly find employment elsewhere in the tech sector that will bring him far more financial and tangible success than Jolla is likely to in the forseeable future, and be far better for his career. For someone like him, staying on too long at at a company like Jolla can be quite damaging to both reputation and career prospects.

Best of luck to him.

Last edited by bluefoot; 2015-09-08 at 09:21.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bluefoot For This Useful Post:
Maybe this is a better forum than TJC

IMHO, the most important fact is that Carsten Munk (stskeeps) and the developers are still around.

Announcing a product and creating some hype is one thing - an important thing which Marc Dillon did great. However, meeting the expectations thus created is another thing. We all know that we seek for a great OS and great devices running the OS. Meeting our expectations is a tough task that is managed quite well by Jolla.

Off course, I am as impatient as everybody here around. I want my up to date Jolla 2 that I can use one-handed even with my small hands, I want system-wide copy/paste I want ... I want it all and I want it now ...

I am still confident that I will get it one day - because I see the constant output coming from Jolla - thanks to all those who develop every day (and night?).

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to JoOppen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Well maybe it's just because Jolla is shipping in a direction he doesn't like. Remember the decision of Jolla not to produce hardware anymore. Maybe there was an internal argue about the future direction. I think if Marc thinks, that hard- and software belong together, that could be a reason for moving on.

But that doesn't mean, that Jolla is a sinking ship. It only means, that Jolla made a principal decision, which Marc isn't willing to accept.

...just speculation of course...

Posts: 59 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Finland
Marc speaking tomorrow on HardwareHEL presents: Dawn of The Devices

https://twitter.com/HardwareHEL/stat...31837679620096

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to jpel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by jpel View Post
Marc speaking tomorrow on HardwareHEL presents: Dawn of The Devices

https://twitter.com/HardwareHEL/stat...31837679620096
Topic sounds in line with what Marc said in 2014: Jolla is about the future of mobile. Alliances of companies instead of one or two large companies dominating the market.
If he still believes that it is normal that he decides to go where those alliances are best to be forged.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Who knows, maybe all those personal changes in Jolla will finally result in a positive change in regards of more openness, open sourcing of more (ar even all!) closed parts, more community involvement, public bugzilla, etc. ?

Or the exact opposite might happen. :P

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Who knows, maybe all those personal changes in Jolla will finally result in a positive change in regards of more openness, open sourcing of more (ar even all!) closed parts, more community involvement, public bugzilla, etc. ?

Before changes: this is the plan for the Jolla tablet, our next project. It is just a dream but we want to make it people powered by the Jolla community. Tell us what you want and we will do everything we can to make it happen...(as long as it involves that tablet)

After changes: you tell us what you want and we will do everything we can.

?

Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post

Yeah, and maybe Marc will be the new project lead of Ubuntu Phone... :-)

Originally Posted by handaxe View Post
Yeah, and maybe Marc will be the new project lead of Ubuntu Phone... :-)
I highly doubt that. Either that he'd go or they'd want him.