Posts: 50 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Romania
Hi I hope you can help me solve my problems with the N9. Sorry for the long post.

1)The first and most major problem is that during phone calls the phone around the ear speaker gets really hot. Why would a phone call use so much resources as to heat up the CPU so much? It even managed to get my skin sore on my face and ear. I saw the other thread, but that was concluded by blaming it on the 3G connection...which I have turned on by the way.

It also happened once this week while I was browsing the Store(using 3G). The display actually got so hot, that it hurt to put it against your palm.

Even if it's the 3G data connection though it should not behave like this. But I was browsing the manual on the device and it became equally hot and as far as I know that one does not require an internet connection. While I was writing this a did a hard reset and it did not solve the problem at all. (i.e. I did not set up an internet connection)

I got Resource monitor(from Store) and at the processes while not doing anything except having the app open and looking, the Sys is using between 15-30% of the CPU at all times.

1.5) Does the System memory have to be 90% full if no apps are running(except of course for the resource monitor)? I noticed that lately the menus would often freeze for a second or two and that scrolling is jerky, especially on the news screen after I installed Fennec 9, the one compiled by Romaxa. (hard reset solved this)

2) I did not find a solution for this in the user manual, but is there a way to delete every contact from the SIM at once?

3) Is there a way to associate Contacts with their Facebook profiles manually? (i.e. they use a different name on Facebook then what I named them in my Contacts)

4) Is there a way to make notes appear similar to sms notifications on the lockscreen?

5) Could someone tell me if I understand correctly how Sync Schedules work in accounts? The way I understand is that "Peak Time interval" set to every hour syncs the account for every hour between the time interval specified in "Peak Time" on days that are included in "Peak Days".

6) Does the camera make a popping sound to anyone else when a camera related application is opened/closed(probably auto-focus related)? I'm sure it's something innocent but the issue keeps bugging me every time there is silence and I hear it.

Last edited by bmate; 2012-02-02 at 15:09.

3) you can merge the facebook contact and phone no. contact together

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spectrax0x For This Useful Post:
Posts: 119 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rotterdam, port to Europe !
Originally Posted by bmate View Post
1)The first and most major problem is that during phone calls the phone around the ear speaker gets really hot.
Never happens to me and I make regular 20 minute calls.

Why would a phone call use so much resources as to heat up the CPU so much? It even managed to get my skin sore on my face and ear.
I got Resource monitor(from Store) and at the processes while not doing anything except having the app open and looking, the Sys is using between 15-30% of the CPU at all times.
Look at the battery usage app results. If "idle" is above 14/15 mA, you may have a runaway prog. See the thread on this forum for solutions.

1.5) Does the System memory have to be 90% full if no apps are running(except of course for the resource monitor)? I noticed that lately the menus would often freeze for a second or two and that scrolling is jerky, especially on the news screen after I installed Fennec 9, the one compiled by Romaxa. (hard reset solved this)
RAM in used as much as possible in Linux, why have it otherwise ? It is however given back when needed biy other progs. Unlike other OS systems where 3rd party apps all want a share of the available RAM, to fool users into: "Look how fast my/this app starts".

5) Could someone tell me if I understand correctly how Sync Schedules work in accounts? The way I understand is that "Peak Time interval" set to every hour syncs the account for every hour between the time interval specified in "Peak Time" on days that are included in "Peak Days".
Just test it

6) Does the camera make a popping sound to anyone else when a camera related application is opened/closed(probably auto-focus related)? I'm sure it's something innocent but the issue keeps bugging me every time there is silence and I hear it.
Not here.

The Following User Says Thank You to eerde For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
You'd better get a replacement device. Your N9 sounds seriously broken getting _that_ hot (3G is no excuse).

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by spectrax0x View Post
3) you can merge the facebook contact and phone no. contact together
Thanks. I had Facebook contacts set to hidden and did not think to re-enable and merge them.

Originally Posted by eerde View Post
Never happens to me and I make regular 20 minute calls.
Did a test now. With both a 3G data connection on/off after a reset and the phone is fine(40 minutes in total)

Originally Posted by eerde View Post
Look at the battery usage app results. If "idle" is above 14/15 mA, you may have a runaway prog. See the thread on this forum for solutions.
Too late for that because I did the reset, but thanks for this info. Although I hope I'll never have to use it.

Originally Posted by pycage View Post
You'd better get a replacement device. Your N9 sounds seriously broken getting _that_ hot (3G is no excuse).
I might actually have to do it Which is not cool. I've got an even more irritating problem that I hope is both carrier and software related(I'll wait until PR1.2)

The thing is I was talking with one of my mates today(different carriers) and all of the sudden a loud high pitched ring started echoing. So I decided to do a test now and what I got was not good.

I can pretty much replicate that awful ring any time if I turn on the loudspeakers during calls. I also got no sound at all sometimes and the mute function doesn't seem to work during calls. That's why I'm hoping that it's software related(and this is after a factory reset). Either that or my mic is broken.

Gonna test it out with two different phones and see whether it's the carrier or the phone. I'll post a vid so guys can check it out just in case someone is curious.

edit: carrier problem

I never should have left Orange, but I was tempted by better prices guess you get what you pay for.

video: http://youtu.be/o4AHTtW7W24
Although the mute bug still remains. I wonder if that can be related to the quality of the service as well? But I don't think so, shouldn't the phone just tell the speakers to stop producing sound? When I hit the mute it literally has no effect.

I'm probably gonna file a bug once I do some other tests.

Last edited by bmate; 2012-02-03 at 01:13. Reason: :D

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Ireland
If you have developer mode enabled use the
$top
command to check which processes are using the most CPU. There is an issue with the device idling at high battery usage when often causes the CPU to overheat under high processer load. This is usually caused by an issue in the home screen where the device is trying to do something but cannot do it. To resolve this just use the commang $kill **** replacing the stars with the process no of the process using the most power. This is normally caused by a process called meego-touch home. After this I have had no issues. It is discussed in further detail in the "high idle consumption" thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to regtheledge For This Useful Post:
@regtheledge

Thanks for the instructions. I couldn't do it by myself.

Looks likes the devs are investigating it, so let's hope that it will be fixed.
http://harmattan-bugs.nokia.com/show_bug.cgi?id=486