Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
There is Competitors for different hardware (might be Maemo though) and there is Alternatives for different software for the 770/N800/N810, with sub-categories.

It makes sense someone is afraid the latter will evaporate from Talk because these (sub-)forums are not directly Maemo-related. However, there is no complaint (unlike the Competitors forum & threads), so why bother to remove them? I don't think that will happen.
OK, to re-iterate the main points:
  • Nokia are going to sponsor these fora, as they sponsor the other home of the Maemo Community, maemo.org
  • Reggie will carry on running the site, but will have resources available to him which are sub-contracted by Nokia to work on maemo.org fulltime.
  • At the moment, the integration with the rest of maemo.org (which is not a Nokia site any more) will consist of a single look & feel and a domain name change to talk.maemo.org

As the Maemo Community's council, we aren't going to let Nokia ride roughshod over the most vibrant part of the community (ITT). Even if they wanted to... which they don't.

I honestly can't see any downsides to this.

Cheers,

Andrew

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
It's funny: for so long we had people complaining that there was no official Nokia representation (involvement by myself and others notwithstanding). Then I wore Quim down enough to visit, and now months later we're at the point where some fear Nokia domination.

*sigh*

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
It's funny: for so long we had people complaining that there was no official Nokia representation (involvement by myself and others notwithstanding). Then I wore Quim down enough to visit, and now months later we're at the point where some fear Nokia domination.

*sigh*
It helps if you think of each of those groups of people as separate and generally not overlapping (group 1 wants more Nokia presence, group 2 wants to avoid Nokia domination, etc). :P

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
or more correctly, they want nokia presence, but not control

as in, they want a representative or two of nokia that they can pester about things, but not having nokia run the place and set the rules.

I think you can classify sets of people: set 1 (concerned about lack of Nokia presence), and set 2 (concerned about excessive Nokia control).

These sets do intersect (some people are concerned about both), to be sure, and they also don't cover everyone (e.g. I'm in neither, really). But not all (or, I think, most) of the outcry is the same people reacting on the other side now.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
It helps if you think of each of those groups of people as separate and generally not overlapping (group 1 wants more Nokia presence, group 2 wants to avoid Nokia domination, etc). :P
Well duh. I didn't say they were the same, GA.

Things aren't like they used to be. And they never were. Life goes on, and perhaps we progress. Deal with it.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Well duh. I didn't say they were the same, GA.
Fair enough, but it does help to come to terms with the insanity.

Posts: 398 | Thanked: 301 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Texas
How about maemo.org moves it's content to the servers hosting internettablettalk.com?

My only real fear is that if/when ITT moves servers to maemo.org's it will still be SLOW.

Frank

The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Banul For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Frank Banul View Post
How about maemo.org moves it's content to the servers hosting internettablettalk.com?
There's no server move. itT is staying where it is.

Originally Posted by Frank Banul View Post
My only real fear is that if/when ITT moves servers to maemo.org's it will still be SLOW.
Have you been using maemo.org lately? Performance is way better than it used to be.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post: