Posts: 10 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on May 2010 @ London
Hi guys

I've noticed recently the focus on my N900 seems not to be working - using the standard camera app when I half press the camera button (to start the autofocus) the usually focusing signs are given, i.e. the reticle flashes and either turns green or red, but the image is constantly out of focus regardless.

I tried used fcamera to alter the focus manually, but nothing changes despite what value I choose.

This all leads me to think it's a hardware fault, is it possible to break just the "focusing" part of the phone's camera? As the camera still actually takes and saves photos...they're just all out of focus!

Any advice/ideas on how to fix it?

Last edited by TheKracken; 2011-08-13 at 14:37.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheKracken For This Useful Post:
Update - All other functions (ISO, WB) save focus work in FCam, and I've tried uninstalling FCam/BlessN900 which didn't help either.

My N900 is over 18 months old now (am I correct to assume the warranty is only 12 months?) so I guess I'll have to deal with blurry photos!

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Richmond, VA
mine started doing this roughly a month ago, works fine in fcam and bless however the fine focus on the default seems to be missing.

Kracken, just check the guaranty. In many cases, it's 24 months./

Anyway, I follow this thread since beginning - like, I suppose, many other people do - but, unfortunately, I can't help. I've never heard about such a problem on N900. At last resort, You could try restoring backup from state where it worked (via backupmenu, stock bakcuping utility wont do and it's just a waste of time), or re-flashing completely. Usualy I don't recommend this, but your problem seems hardware'ish - would be good to filter out possible software issued, before proceeding with hardware.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
I've got this problem too , if with BlessN900 works fine and with default camera application not , then it's a software problem . Any idea ?

Posts: 939 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ U.K.
24 month warranty

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to corduroysack For This Useful Post:
If I remember correctly, Kracken told us already that using fCam libraries (on which BlessN900 is also based on) doesn't allow him to focus.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the advice Estel, I was unaware that backupmenu offered advantages over the inbuilt back up option.

I'll make sure to install it after I reflash for future situations!

And thanks again (and to corduroysack) I didn't know the warranty lasted 2 years! Mine is still within that period, so if the reflash does not work I shall send it for repairs.

Will reply with update after I've reflashed completey

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheKracken For This Useful Post:
Just flashed my phone...and sadly camera problem is still present, can't focus at all.

Looks like I'll be sending it in - will update again when I've done so, in case anyone is still interested.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheKracken For This Useful Post: