U-Boot is very useful for booting other OS on Nokia N900. But if U-Boot available for Nokia N9, I will buy it immediately.
Will it happen?

Posts: 1,100 | Thanked: 2,797 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Netherlands
Pali,

It is addressed here a few times, but it still manifests itself.

Running u-boot-update-bootmenu can lead to the error:
Code:
cat: can't open '/var/tmp/bootmenu.cmd.default': No such file or directory
if /etc/default/bootmenu.item is not present.

I ignored the error a few days ago as an innocent warning, but later realized it exits before the actual mkimage. Not sure if it had to do with this, but had to reflash my phone fully afterwards to get it working again.

/etc/default/bootmenu.item has to be created manually if I understand correctly? Then why not ignore it if it is not present, or give a message a link has to be created?

I now have u-boot running, but my next issue is: I can only start the default omap kernel. I get the exact screen as in in the first post of the thread, but only the option "attached kernel" works, which starts the default kernel after the bootmenu screen. Bootmenu.scr and the images in bootmenu.img.d are created succesfully in MyDocs but I see no alternative kernels to choose from during startup.

@ade: I found where is problem. I will fix script in new version. Temporary solution will be to create some default menu entry. See this post how to set kernel power as default boot entry: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=222

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Proper fix is to edit u-boot-update-bootmenu script and replace:

cat "$BOOTMENU_CMD.default" "$BOOTMENU_CMD" > "$BOOTMENU_CMD.new"
mv "$BOOTMENU_CMD.new" "$BOOTMENU_CMD"

with:

if test -f "$BOOTMENU_CMD.default"; then
cat "$BOOTMENU_CMD.default" "$BOOTMENU_CMD" > "$BOOTMENU_CMD.new"
mv "$BOOTMENU_CMD.new" "$BOOTMENU_CMD"
fi

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Thanks for your swift response.
Any idea about the mentioned issue of not being able to choose other kernels? I like to start the framebuffer kernel for looking at the bootmenu watchdog issue.

just drop your kernel zImage to /boot, create bootmenu entry for your zImage and run update script (and before starting script fix it)

The Following User Says Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pali View Post
just drop your kernel zImage to /boot, create bootmenu entry for your zImage and run update script (and before starting script fix it)
I did, as the instructions tell in the first post:
zImages in /boot, related items in bootmenu.img.d, running u-boot-update-bootmenu etc. It results in the expected files in MyDocs.

It already works fine on my primary N900 for quit a while... don't know why I do not see the other kernels on this phone.

ade, write here output of file MyDocs/bootmenu.scr and output of u-boot command 'mmc part'.

bootmenu.scr:
Code:
bootmenu
setenv bootmenu_0 'Maemo 5 with kernel-power 2.6.28.10-power50=setenv mmcnum 1;setenv mmcpart 1;setenv mmctype fat;setenv bootargs;setenv atagaddr 0x80000100;setenv mmckernfile bootmenu.img.d/zImage-2.6.28.10-power50;setenv mmcinitrdfile;setenv mmcscriptfile;run trymmckernboot;';setenv bootmenu_1 'Maemo 5 with attached kernel 2.6.28-omap1 (Internal Nand)=run attachboot';setenv bootmenu_2 'Maemo 5 with kernel fb-omap1-pr13=setenv mmcnum 1;setenv mmcpart 1;setenv mmctype fat;setenv bootargs;setenv atagaddr 0x80000100;setenv mmckernfile bootmenu.img.d/zImage-fb-omap1-pr13;setenv mmcinitrdfile;setenv mmcscriptfile;run trymmckernboot;';setenv bootmenu_3;
mmc output:
Code:
Partition map for MMC device 1   -- Partion type: DOS

Partition      Start sector       Num Sectors       Type
1                     64                  41940928        c
2                    41940992      18884608        83
3                    60825664      1572864         82
I do have an extra 4GB sd card installed (already tried to boot without it, but it makes no difference).

eMMC partiton and bootmenu script is OK. Do you have in U-Boot menu entry "Maemo 5 with kernel fb-omap1-pr13"?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:

Tags
bootmenu, u-boot