Hey guys,
i wrote a few lines with 'meegoproject' on facebook, he forwarded me to this site. My English isn't that good, i hope you can still understand me.
I want to introduce a small project I'm currently working on. This is my first project with Qt so be nice to me. ( Please )

I'm going to get my Raspberry PI in the next weeks, and i want to use this thing as a small server. I don't want to connect a keyboard or a mouse, so i need some kind of remote. That's why i wrote pimote.

It's a module based RPC-Server which should be platform independent. (I tested Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 and Arch Linux)

The communication is based on the HTTP protocol. It's expecting JSon requests. It's slot/signal based and requires a client and a server module. You can add filters also, but thats optional.
I don't want to go too deep into the detail. This would make a long long text. If you want more details about it, i can add them later. Maybe someone is already interested in it.

To make it quick, you can place a server somewhere on your PC or even on your N9. The server contains modules. For example a module to control a media player. The client is now able to tell the server to change the song. Very easy stuff. More about RPC is here on wikipedia(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_procedure_call)

Since this library is module based, i want to ask the community, what modules do you want?

I thought about something like this:

- Media Player control (Winamp, Windows Media Player, Amarok, VLC, FooBar, Clementine, Rhythmbox, omxplayer, Zune, S&MPlayer ...)
- PC control (Mouse movement, virtual keyboard, auto refreshing screenshots, shutdown/restart, ...?)
- File manager
- JDownloader control
- Process control (start, stop, taskmanager stuff)

since you can place the server on the N9/N900/.. too, i would add a SMS/MMS sender. So you can send messages from your phone via pc.

What do you think about this idea? The server/client part already works. I just need suggestions for modules and gui stuff. I'm as creative as a brick, so some design ideas for the gui would be great

I can't provide much screenshots, everything is just console based stuff at the moment. All i can provide is this:

I hope getting some responses. I think this project has a good potential, and it would be sad, if the project dies just because of the lack of interest

Last edited by pinvoke; 2012-07-20 at 10:35.

The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to pinvoke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
Since getting the N9 Ive wanted an app that can make the N9 be used like a remote to control Windows Media Player on my PC, using wifi to communicate - not bluetooth.

If this is only one thing the app you want to make can do, I and no doubt many others will be interested!

Hope you understand!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to F2thaK For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Could you add control for the Zune app on Windows...thanks...

Posts: 835 | Thanked: 772 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland
Possibility to have a page of buttons to launch applications on server, think of N9's launcher but for server's applications which you can customize. The ability to have jdownloader pushing captchas to n9 so you can fill in would be awesome too but dunno if possible.

F2thaK:
Yes, i'm going to integrate more than one module. Would be a waste of time to write the whole module based functions, if i just add one

thedead1440:
probably. I never used Zune and i don't know the api. Can't promise it.

Kozzi:
yeah, that would be possible. But i can't guarantee pushing captchas, since the whole protocol is request-response based, you have to ask every time for new captchas. Would eat much resources. But as mentioned you can place a server on the n9 too. In the same app of course. This could work, but would be very hackish i think.

Thanks for the answers

The Following User Says Thank You to pinvoke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 234 | Thanked: 281 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Helsinki
My vote to mediaplayer control for Clementine and (S)MPlayer.

great app. Since i have n9 im looking for app for sending sms from pc. This would be awesome.

The Following User Says Thank You to P4d0uch For This Useful Post:
Very cool. I've been missing a client for WifiRemote for MediaPortal. I don't know how hard it would be to use your project as a replacement?

shanttu:
I added S/mplayer into the list

slarti:
I put it on the list, but i can't guarantee it.

P4d0uch:
Thanks to Qt this could be very easy

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pinvoke For This Useful Post:
Windows Media Center remote control. That would be awesome!

The Following User Says Thank You to Morpog For This Useful Post: